"Molly and Friends" furniture.. A good buy?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey folks, my cats are now in need of a new cat tree and I've decided to put off buying the expensive, yet trendy lotus for a while longer.

I was browsing on Amazon.com and noticed some really good reviews for a particular brand of cat tree..."Molly and Friends". This brand comes pre-assembled and is made in the USA. Plus, Amazon.com has, what I think are, good prices for them and they have FREE SHIPPING!

So, if anyone has any good or bad things to say about the brand in general or the two pieces I'm looking at below, in particular, please feel free to comment.

Here are the two I'm looking at:

Model 2323: http://www.amazon.com/Molly-Friends-...8585337&sr=1-4

Model 2432: http://www.amazon.com/Molly-Friends-...585191&sr=1-18

EDIT* This is a smaller model I'm looking at, it's still 54 inches (same size as their current one) but is also nice: http://www.amazon.com/Molly-Friends-...lp_edpp_ttl_in
Art

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been looking at that brand also!! It looks really nice, can't wait to see what all of you kitty experts have to say!!

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you. I may just have to buy another one in the very near future so we have on both levels of the house

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Darling Poodles- Thanks for the link! Amazon is cheaper by about $30-$40 on the ones I'm looking at... BUT on the site you linked, I could choose the colors vs. just having to go with beige / tan on amazon.

Klaidman- Have you had that brand of cat tree before? I like some of their designs and they are a LOT cheaper than the one I'm looking at...If I knew it would be stable I'd go for one of those. The tree I have now is the kind that you have to put together and although it works, I don't really trust it to hold up (it rocks when the cats jump on / off of it).

Art

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

Klaidman- Have you had that brand of cat tree before? I like some of their designs and they are a LOT cheaper than the one I'm looking at...If I knew it would be stable I'd go for one of those. The tree I have now is the kind that you have to put together and although it works, I don't really trust it to hold up (it rocks when the cats jump on / off of it).

Art
I do have a cat tree that brand already and it is awesome. I have had it for 5 years now so it has gone through a few cats and kinda stinks from urine. Which is why I have bought the 2 new ones

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's a really cool site... I think the folks that make "molly and friends" use this site to direct sell...You can customize your own cat tree...levels, carpet, even get bare wood poles! Too bad they're a little pricier than I want to spend.
http://www.createacatcondo.com/threetier.php

Art

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought an Amarkat tree a couple of years ago and I highly recommend that brand. It's very high quality, sturdy and usually has some of the best prices around.

For instance: awesome cat tree

This is the one I bought: six-level cat tree and it's as sturdy today as it was the day I received it.

Wow, in getting those links for you, I see the prices are wicked reduced! With four new additions to the family, I just might have to do some shopping of my own!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Auntie Crazy,

How stable are the upper "beds" on the armarkat tree? The tree I have now (granted it's a small crappy tree that I got on ebay for $25) assembles like an armarkat...i.e. screw the poles into the platforms, etc. And the upper level (w/ one supporting pole) is very "wobbly". It was even wobbly when I got it...and has gotten looser with time.
The wobblyness is the main reason I am looking into the preassembled trees with solid wood poles. . . Surely something that weighs 80lbs won't be wobbly

My main concern is the "wobblyness" of the platforms and of the tree itself. two of my cats jumped onto their current tree from a run yesterday and the tree rocked back and forth...especially when the 17lb cat jumped onto it. If the armarkat trees aren't wobbly, I might consider getting one.

Due to model 2432 being out of stock (guess I have popular taste) I think I'll be going with model 2323. No tunnel, but 6" more sisal rope and just as tall.

Art

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

Auntie Crazy, How stable are the upper "beds" on the armarkat tree?...My main concern is the "wobblyness" of the platforms and of the tree itself. two of my cats jumped onto their current tree from a run yesterday and the tree rocked back and forth...especially when the 17lb cat jumped onto it. If the armarkat trees aren't wobbly, I might consider getting one...Art
Hold on a sec....

I had to go check.
They move, but not enough to make me or the cats uncomfortable. That's probably not much help, I know, since comfort is a personal thing. Hmmm, my heaviest cat is only about 12 pounds, though.

Well, for what's it's worth, I would definitely buy another one.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tree looks VERY sturdy lol. a little too....clunky for where I want to put it but looks like it'd be a great "corner" tree.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The tree arrived on Friday and let me say... it is the sturdiest tree I've ever seen. It is MUCH sturdier than trees of equal height from the petstores here. It doesn't wobble at all when they jump on it and between levels. Even from a run. It has a wider base (24") which helps. The poles, beds, and perches are firmly attached and feel like they are very heavy duty.

The carpet is higher-pile than I thought it would be (I like the look of lower pile, but higher pile is probably more comfy for the cats). The poles are definately a little lighter in color (lighter tan) than the beds / scoops.

Beds are 17" in diamater, but the inside portion (minus the rim) is 15". Still plenty big enough for my 15lb + cat.

There is no chemical odor, and I've looked all over the tree and can't find any exposed staples, nails, etc. The sisal is also well attached.

I must say that it did look bigger in person, lol. I guess I didn't realize just how tall 6'5" was. The cats seem to love the extra height.

Overall, I'd give the tree a thumbs up. My only qualm is that the tan/beige color that amazon sells (the only color they stock) is a little "dark" for my taste. If I were to order another tree, I'd go for off white or cream colored or a combo of off-white poles with brown or grey "parts". Other than that, I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend the molly and friends brand.

I've taken many pics of them on the tree, but haven't uploaded them yet...as soon as I do, I'll attach some here.

Art

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pics, as promised:

The crew enjoying the tree.

Frazier in the top nest (the bed is 15" diamater w/ a 2" rim).

Toby enjoying the lowest "scoop" (he's 15,1/5 lbs).

And one of Niles in the new tree (not that you can see the tree).

Art

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They look like they love their new tree!! Thanks for posting pics!! I haven't gotten a tree yet but I plan on getting a Molly & Friends tree now that I know for sure they are nice!!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I definately wouldn't hesitate reccommending the brand or getting one on amazon. I only paid ~ $215 for the tree (preassembled and shipped) which is about what you'd pay for a generic tree in a pet store and this one is much sturdier than any I've seen in stores.

The pile on the carpet is higher on the "pieces" (beds, scoops) and a lower tighter pile on the poles. Color is pretty accurate in the photos as well, so that'll give you an idea of what the beige color that amazon sells looks like.

Thought that I'd add that the "scoops" are 17" long

Art