Question about flea infestations

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This afternoon when Rocket came in he was crawling with fleas. (Despite being treated with Revolution two weeks ago.) Naturally, he immediately got a Dawn bath. Also naturally, a lot of the fleas managed to jump off and disappear to wherever fleas disappear to. I suppose it's possible these fleas are doomed anyway, because of the Revolution (though I'll bet with Frontline they wouldn't have been there in the first place - I was getting lazy because I went alll summer without any real flea problem. I suppose he found some sheltered space to hole up in and that's where the fleas were holed up, too.) All right, long story, short question: hypothetical - say some of the fleas jumped off Rocket before I got him into the bath, what are the chances those are enough fleas to start a flea infestation in my house? Mellie and Twinkie are wearing Frontline; I'm not too worried about them. If the fleas that jumped off Rocket survived, they'll lay eggs somewhere, right?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd start the whole vacuuming every other day or two deal and throwing out the bag each time process just in case. My gut says that with all pets treated they won't last long in the house.

I wouldn't think you're looking at an infestation--I don't want to say I know it all but my dad has worked in pest control for 25 years so I know a little about fleas--actually more than you'd ever want to know!

Actually he rid us of our flea issue over the summer--I'm sad to say the boys had fleas for a good 6 weeks before I realized they were here....

Leslie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rocket got into fleas in December in Wisconsin? That's pretty remarkable in itself - you must have some hardy fleas up there!!!

I'd have to say you need to take it seriously, seeing that he dragged in fleas this time of year. My advice? Food grade diatomaceous earth for your carpets. Of course you want to vacuum, vacuum, vacuum first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the reason is that the fleas congregate in sheltered areas, and that's probably where Rocket went to find shelter himself. He wants to go out no matter what the weather is. I had to hold him in yesterday until noon because it was just too cold and he let me know he felt cheated. He's going to stay in now until this flea situation is resolved and he's in the basement right now putting on a big pout.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the diatomaceous earth suggestion. It is safe for pets and humans and will stay in the carpeting to get rid of those pesky fleas.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except it's kind of like pouring dirt on your carpet, isn't it? I think I'll wait a bit and see if I really need to do that.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Except it's kind of like pouring dirt on your carpet, isn't it? I think I'll wait a bit and see if I really need to do that.
Actually, no, it's more like sprinkling flour on your carpet then rubbing it in.

My cats came down with fleas two months ago, and I have wall-to-wall carpeting in the house. I bought a "puffer" and used a soft bristled baby cat brush to spread the DE all over the house, into the rugs and brushed it into all the cat condos and areas the cats like to lie in.

I treated the cats with Advantage on Oct 24th, again 4 weeks later, and plan to give them one last treatment this coming week. I have not seen a flea in at least 3 weeks, and have not gotten bitten at all since October.

If you do some research on DE you'll find that not only is it the least toxic, but it is one of the most effective ways to halt a flea infestation, as it kills fleas and their pupa as they emerge from the eggs within 48 hours.

It is best to sprinkle it all around, especially in areas less trafficked like under bureaus, and then let it stay in the carpeting as long as possible during the flea hatching cycle to ensure you get them all.

For vacuuming, I got one flea collar and keep in the dyson canister, so when I vacuum, I have added flea killing action.

When I first saw the fleas I completely freaked out, but now that I know how well the Advantage and DE work in combination, I have no more flea worries.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I guess the word "earth" could conjure up that image. DE is actually like a fine powder made from diatoms which are very minute sea creatures. It is very fine.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I guess the word "earth" could conjure up that image. DE is actually like a fine powder made from diatoms which are very minute sea creatures. It is very fine.
Yes, more like baby powder.
I use it, too for my dog. And if yor animals ingest any its actually loaded with minerals.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Yes, more like baby powder.
I use it, too for my dog. And if yor animals ingest any its actually loaded with minerals.
And would get rid of internal parasites. It's all good.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

And would get rid of internal parasites. It's all good.
Thats true, too!
I have never had a flea problem, but my dog does go out, so he gets treated.
In case he ever brought in any to the cats, that is what I would use on them, too.
My cats really groom each other, so I could not use Advantage on them, I would have to use something safe that they couldnt ingest. From all the research I did DE is it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Rocket got into fleas in December in Wisconsin?

That's exactly what I was going to say!
I can't imagine any fleas being able to survice those horrid, frigid Wisconsin winters!
Even a cockroach couldn't survice those winters - and they're supposed to be able to withstand anything!

Regarding the fleas, I guess I would take precautions - just to be on the safe side.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Were you able to remove all the fleas?

As a last resort, you may have to flea bomb. We went thru this situation once, and its horrible, you feel so dirty and unclean, no matter how spotless your house is! We had tried everything, but no success, so we had to use the bomb. We took both cats to my parents for the weekend, even though you don't have to be gone that long, and vaccummed like crazy and cleaned everything to get the chemical out afterwards.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, and I'm sure lots of us here know your pain!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah

Were you able to remove all the fleas? !
I found a few in the kitchen where I towled off Rocket when he came in (that was before I saw the fleas) and a couple more in the bathroom where I gave him his bath. I did a very thorough vacuuming today. I didn't see any hopping while I was vacuuming and I didn't see any hopping out of the bag, either.

Whether it's like dirt, baby powder, or flour, it's not something I want to put on my carpet unless it's really needed.

But, DE kills intestinal parasites???? Really?!?!?!? I've NEVER come across that before!! To think of all the money I've spent on dewormer meds. I wonder if the pet pharma industry is suppressing that.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I found a few in the kitchen where I towled off Rocket when he came in (that was before I saw the fleas) and a couple more in the bathroom where I gave him his bath. I did a very thorough vacuuming today. I didn't see any hopping while I was vacuuming and I didn't see any hopping out of the bag, either.

Whether it's like dirt, baby powder, or flour, it's not something I want to put on my carpet unless it's really needed.

But, DE kills intestinal parasites???? Really?!?!?!? I've NEVER come across that before!! To think of all the money I've spent on dewormer meds. I wonder if the pet pharma industry is suppressing that.
I suppose you would have to be more familiar with DE to appreciate it's fine qualities. I sprinkle it across all my doorways in the summer to prevent ants from getting in as well. But, as you say, each to their own.

Yes indeed, DE will kill internal parasites, in fact some folks actually feed their animals a small dose of DE daily.

Tim, if you do a good google search on DE you may get some good information, no guarantees mind you, after all, it is the internet.
Mind you it is important that you find out about human/food grade versus industrial grade.

ETA: Here is a good link for you to read: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

The second paragraph down talks about internal parasites.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link. Knowing that there's new stuff still to learn makes it worth getting out of bed and living another day.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for the link. Knowing that there's new stuff still to learn makes it worth getting out of bed and living another day.
I hear that! Before I came here I had no idea about DE and now I don't know how I did without it. And I know it is safe around the cats which is an added bonus.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going going through the same problems with fleas. My infestation problem started when we rescued a cute little pmoeranian dog and let him in the house for the night. My cats never had fleas in their lives till now. They were treated with Revolution 3 weeks ago. I have to go for another round in a week or so. We bought flea bombs from the vet but have not had time to do it yet. I don't see fleas hopping around the house yet. I am going to order the DE online this week and put that down too.

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think flea eggs require a certain temperature and humidity to hatch. We had indoor/outdoor cats one time a few years back and didn't notice any fleas all winter. Then in the spring I made the mistake of leaving the windows open a few nights and the flea eggs that had built up started to hatch. (We live in the humid South.) That was a mess. Fleas so small you could barely see them. So, more might show up come spring.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, and I thought I was free and in the clear. I haven't seen any more fleas since Saturday. Will vaccuming get the flea eggs, or are do the fleas attach them to something when they're laid?