Siamese mixes tend to be mean?

ilovecats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am looking to adopt another cat, I didn't think I would this soon but I read a story about one that touched me, it had been left at a home after people moved out and left it there, I am so heartbroken by this story that I am going to drive over an hour tomorrow to see her. She is a Siamese mix and I have been told by people that they can be mean, her description says she is loveable and fun and a talker, I am not worried if she would be mean to mean, I am worried about my other cat. If I hold her and pet her and see how she is there and should feel if it would be right to adopt her.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is not true.
My Coco is half siamese and she is the nicest cat I ever had.
We have had other siamese mixes also.
My sister has 2 and so does my dad.

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Snow is a siamese mix and possibly the sweetest cat you could ever meet. a bit of a trouble maker though.
But I love her

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope she likes you.
I have a new cat coming next week and I am sure Coco will be the first to like her.
How old is the cat you might get?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ramsay is a Siamese mix and he's the most docile, gentle, loving cat I've ever had.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People say Siamese cats or mixes are mean. But how do you know what traits will come out in a cat when it's a mix? My "foster" cat Eden is a Siamese - she's rubbing on my shoulder purring right now.

That's one of those generalizations like Pit Bulls are vicious.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most "pointed" cats today have very little of the original Siamese blood in them. My brother has one who is the companion he has ever had. We've had some great cats with Siamese markings.

You have to judge every cat individually.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's beyond me why people think Siamese Cats have the mean gene. I have two purebred Siamese and neither one of them are even remotely mean. In fact my little Siamese girl, SunLee is the sweetest most loving cat you'd ever want to meet. I would think a Siamese mix would have an extra touch of sweetness in them BECAUSE of the Siamese blood.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nova could be a siamese mix, as I've seen other cats who look like her called that. But I don't know for sure. When I first met Nova, she was more interested in going outside than in meeting me. I brought her home, and now we're always together! She's nice to other cats, I think she might be a little bit afraid of them.

sillylilykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every cat is an individual with different personalities. Many Siamese are sweet cats but some are mean. But thats how it is will all cats. I hope this cat is as sweet as you have heard and that you adopt her

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Siamese in Brasil... The sweetest and most chilled back cat I have ever had! Good Luck!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chances are the cat you're going to see isn't a Siamese, people often think that any pointed cat, or even a talkative cat must be a Siamese but this isn't always the case.

All the Siamese I know are lovely cats.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, Nial. My nephew is one of those people. Loves cats but does not like Siamese.

I feel a cat's personality depends on how it is raised by it's humans. (And that can apply to any pet.)

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have owned Siamese for the past 30 years. I have 4 now. I have never met a mean siamese.They are the most loving people oriented cats.. It's a shame that this myth about siamese being mean is still being told. No truth in it at all.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to chime in and echo what others have said: Siamese are not "mean"!! (I have two.) Ornery? Definitely - and mine aren't as overtly affectionate as some other cats I've known. However, they love being around people and insist on getting involved in whatever we're doing.

Anyway, good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, me too. My Siamese mix is so lovable I have to scrape him off of me. He is a bit needy as someone else mentioned but I think that's fun because it gives us lots of time together. Ok, occasionally he's annoying but aren't they all on occasion? It's like a cat's prerogative.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Siamese cats sure get a bad reputation. Our two Siamese are the sweetest natured critters we've ever had and so much so that two of our friends have gotten a cat from our breeder and they too are wonderful.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am currently fostering a flame point Siamese mix, part orange tabby(from what I've read on his intake papers) and he honestly is the sweetest, most easygoing cat in this household. He is still isolated from the others and will be for a while, I am having alot of issues introducing a stray with my resident cats and I don't want to get him in that mix. But he is so content, he is 7 years old and I am going to adopt him, I won't take him back to the shelter. He is declawed and doesn't like his paws touched but that is the only time he shows any unhappiness, he is just a great cat!!