Kitty straining to Pee

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My problem sounds similar to one already posted, however my little girl is still straining after 10 days of Clavomox. It all started when I noticed her making frequent trips to the litter box and not peeing. I took her in to the vet and they treated for urinarty tract infection. Put after finishing the antibiotics she is still having trouble. Took her back to the vet and they got a urine sample, took x-rays and blood tests. Urine sample was clear, x-ray showed no signs of stones or crystals and I am still waiting on the blood tests. Any suggestions? Anyone else had a similar problem.
Also she started last night with diahrea. I am really getting concerned! Also she is a breeder not sure if this makes any difference or not?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like another trip to the vet is needed. IMO if she is having frequent urinary infections, it may not be a wise thing to keep her as a breeder. I think I'd spay her and hopefully that would help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the first urinary infection she has ever had and she is 3 1/2 years old.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often the Clavamox is just used to treat an infection that is a result of crystals in the urine. If you don't treat the underlying cause (the crystals), then the UTI will still cause issues. Has your vet talked to you about crystals in the urine?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clavamox dosent always work.
Coco has had ecoli on and off for 2 years.
She also had struvite stones with ecoli and had crstals a few times.
Coco would gte sick on the clavamox and cefa so that could be why it did not help. Can you have them get a culture.
Sometimes you to try a few antibiotics before one will work.
With Coco it would take 2 months when she was on clavamox before she got better.
This last time she was on Baytril and her test was neg after 2 weeks.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tia's Mom

But after finishing the antibiotics she is still having trouble. Took her back to the vet and they got a urine sample, took x-rays and blood tests. Urine sample was clear, x-ray showed no signs of stones or crystals and I am still waiting on the blood tests.
Okay, so kitty has been on 2 weeks of Clavamox and urine has been tested again - no signs of infection or crytals. Has Vet considered doing an ultrasound of the bladder? This can show a lot of things that an xray can't (eg: inflammation of the lining of the bladder, thickening of the bladder, possible masses that wouldn't be picked up on xray). Might be something to talk to your Vet about doing.

If it's definitely ruled out that the cause of the straining is an infection, and/or crystals, then something called Interstitial Cystitis (humans get this, too, women more often than men) could be considered. It's basically a chronic inflammation of the lining of the bladder. It often presents with the same symptoms of having a UTI (generally - having to pee frequent small amounts). In cats, there are meds that treat it. An ultrasound would at least show if there's something going on with the lining of kitty's bladder, or urinary tract in general.

sillylilykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe Clavamox doesnt work on your cat, ask your vet about any different meds you could give her.