Be Vewwy, Vewwy Quiet (Christmas stuff)

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We Ahh Huntin' Wabbits!!

So, out of a mild necessity to find something for my mother this year for Christmas, I went hunting for a pattern for something to make for her. Now, here's where things get difficult: she has few hobbies, except crossword and jigsaw puzzles. She used to do a LOT more, but due to senility/Alzheimers (long story there), she has ceased all hobbies. Last I had talked to my dad about her a few months back, she was still baking (and baking...) cookies, but when i talked to my dad a few days ago about her, he said she has even stopped that. So, I went hunting...

I found a silly little pattern for stuffed bunnies (and kitties and dogs, but bunnies have a significance here)... so I bought some camel-colored fleece and made one. Now, I'm hooked. I want to make them for several friends, in different types of fleece, of course... so here's Patient Zero. The Christmas Bunny. His eyes are a little odd, and his nose isn't quite perfect, but that's what I get for trying to sew them with embroidery thread instead of doing what the patterns says (stock safety noses and eyes). he went together quite easily, I think...

The significance of bunnies with my mother is that she made it a point to buy me stuffed bunnies every chance she got... and I would, in return, buy her bunny slippers on her birthdays and Christmases.

I'll be making some in different colors, for specific people... including a couple Goth Bunnies for my best friend's teenage daughters...

What do you think?

Amanda

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's a great first attempt at bunny-making! Its a great idea to make them for family and friends as well... I like the idea of goth bunnies. How cute would that be?
Awaiting photos of your subsequent attempts!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reminds me of the teddy bears my Mom did years ago.

While at the fabric store she found some fake fur on sale. Bought pink and blue and made teddies (they were about 2 1/2 to 3ft tall!) for her grandkids (girl and boy).

When she showed them to others before giving them the first thing they would do (these are all adults) would be to hug the bear! Including her Dad!

Anyway, before it was over, in the next 10 years or so, Mom must have made almost 100 bears of assorted colors and fur for nieces and nephews and sisters and aunts and for charity. (It seemed like more bears because I was the one stuffing most of them.
)

My bear is a light brown and named Obadiah.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I found a silly little pattern for stuffed bunnies (and kitties and dogs, but bunnies have a significance here)... so I bought some camel-colored fleece and made one. Now, I'm hooked. I want to make them for several friends, in different types of fleece, of course...

What do you think?

Amanda
lovely!
if you were/are my secret santa, i'd want a kitty one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

lovely!
if you were/are my secret santa, i'd want a kitty one!
Alas, I chose to not do SS this year... I needed a break... and my life the last few months has been insane enough.

My friend Sue will get a kitty, in red fleece. With a butterfly patch on it. She loves butterflies and has cats... The two girls will get goth bunnies... I'm thinking of adding things to them ... will post pics of those once they're done. they'll get small bunnies like the one above. Their mother will get a large bunny in blue, and her nearly two year old son (different fathers) will get a small blue bunny. She loves blue, so the fleece I found is ideal. If i can find some SF 49'ers fleece (without taking some of my own blanket), I'll make her hubby (daddy to the little boy) a Niner's bunny. I have the small blue bunny cut out, but not sewn up yet. I need to do his eyes and nose in a cat-hair-free environment, all but one person in that family is allergic or asthmatic...

I'm thinking of doing a simple stitch in the embroidery thread to outline the bunny ears... I hope it isn't too much, though... the pattern doesn't call for anything like that...

Amanda

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I'm thinking of doing a simple stitch in the embroidery thread to outline the bunny ears... I hope it isn't too much, though... the pattern doesn't call for anything like that...

Amanda
i think that would improve it, too.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i think that would improve it, too.
So, I did a simple stitch, basically looks like this : - - - -

I also gave him a tiny mouth... Using embroidery thread has never been a strong suit of mine, so it's new to me... but I'll certainly have fun with the Goth bears!! muaahaahaa!!!

I may even, if suitably persuaded, make some to sell and put them on my Etsy page... God knows the jewelry isn't selling... so maybe some funky bears will sell... until I get enough space cleared to make the purses and larger stuff (laptop bags with a 'tude). I had hoped to get that stuff up and running a few months ago, but illness sidelined me... so after my Christmas gifts are made, I'll start working on this stuff again. I'll most likely be going back to school for some art classes in January, so time will be precious...

Back to relaxing with some popcorn and a cat on my lap (she's been begging ALL day.)

Amanda

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably could get some some fuzzy material and cut in the oval ear shape and fuse onto the other fabric???

Hancock Fabrics or Jo-Ann should have the SF fabric-esp online.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom used to make us kids teddy bears - she was a sewer. I've got a collection of all of them - last year for Christmas one of my sisters made her a teddy bear. It was one of those moments....something so seemingly simple & silly....the purr-fect gift.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amanda, that is adorable!! I actually like the eyes and mouth...it shows it was handmade and gives and old fashioned feel to it, rather than the run of the mill store bought stuff. Make sure you post pics of some of the others, especially the goth ones.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it! And I like your embroidered features MUCH better than any pre-fab eyes and noses you might buy and attach. That's what makes it handmade!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took him to work today, at the fabric store... everybody loved him! Beth, one of our women, wanted to be my mom, so she could have him. Not everyone there sews, so it's especially fun to see when the non-sewers see my work... I also got some brainstorming in abut the Goth Bunnies... oh, man, you guys will laugh when you see what we've come up with!! I finished the face of the small blue bunny while at work, and will cut out the large blue bunny tomorrow, as well as possibly finish the little one. I'll start on the Goth Bunnies either Sunday or Monday.

I highly doubt the pattern company who makes this pattern even dreamed of what someone could do with this thing... it's gonna be wild!!

Amanda