This is so sad

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been following the story of my friend's friend. She's apparently a really lovely person, young, vibrant, and a couple of weeks ago found out she had a brain tumour, pretty much in the middle of her brain. She had differing opinions from different doctors about how to tackle it, but decided to get the more risky surgery and have it fully removed.

When she left home to go to the hospital, she said the hardest thing was saying good-bye to her dog who she absolutely doted on, because the dog didn't understand what was happening.

She did well in the surgery, which was a couple of days ago, and they believe they got it all, so that was great.

My friend just found out that the dog got out, and was shot and killed by a hunter
This dog was her life, and was her baby. Her husband is going to have to decide when and how to tell her. Can you imagine how horrible that is going to be

I'm sure we can all understand how devastating that must be at any time, let alone while recovering from such major surgery.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! That's just a terrible terrible thing to happen to anyone, especially in a situation like this! I'm sure all she could think of was getting better, getting out of hospital so she could see her dog.

Hunters... Why on earth are they even allowed to hunt? And why would this hunter kill a dog!?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, Sarah, what an awful thing. I hope the poor dog died instantly.

I despise the practice of hunting. I know we have some hunters here, and I'm sorry for offending them, but I will never understand how people can go out and kill living things and call it "sport."

It might be easier on your friend if she wasn't told how the dog died. Maybe if she were allowed to think he was hit by a car, then her heartbreak wouldn't be compounded by rage as well, y'know?

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. My heart just sort of dropped when I read the story. Why did some dummy have to shoot the poor thing?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Hunters... Why on earth are they even allowed to hunt? And why would this hunter kill a dog!?
In some areas it is needed... since almost all the natural predators are gone (big cats, bear, and wolves).

What I never could understand is how anyone says "hunters" as if this was an accident when hunting. These are people that either sit up in a stand or spend hours tracking animals (deer, anyways). I don't believe shooting a dog is a mistake in any way, more likely just people that hate dogs or get really worked up over loose dogs and thing they have to take care of it.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really awful.
I can't imagine how she'll feel when she finds out.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I despise the practice of hunting. I know we have some hunters here, and I'm sorry for offending them, but I will never understand how people can go out and kill living things and call it "sport."
It's not always just "sport". I know many hunters who aren't hunting for points at all, especially in economic times like this. It can be done responsibly, and it's been a source of food for my family. Many times growing up we wouldn't have had much of anything otherwise. I can tell you hunting season feels like a life saver for us this year. I was barely affording pasta and cereal, and my FIL was able to give us 40lbs of meat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I was barely affording pasta and cereal, and my FIL was able to give us 40lbs of meat.
And you don't get anymore organic then that!

Most of the people I know that hunt make very good use of the meat. If they can't use it all themselves they give it to someone who can, or to someone who needs it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, it's what humans have been doing for thousands of years.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

In some areas it is needed... since almost all the natural predators are gone (big cats, bear, and wolves).

What I never could understand is how anyone says "hunters" as if this was an accident when hunting. These are people that either sit up in a stand or spend hours tracking animals (deer, anyways). I don't believe shooting a dog is a mistake in any way, more likely just people that hate dogs or get really worked up over loose dogs and thing they have to take care of it.
I would imagine that a lot of natural predators are gone due to hunting for whatever reason (if not from habitat destruction).

I agree that shooting a dog is not a hunting accident.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad about the dog I hope it didn't suffer.

As for your friend with the Brain Tumour I can comiserate I have had 4 people in my life with Brain Tumors. My Grandmother had one along with Lung cancer and passed away, my Cousin had hers for 18 years before it came back more agressively after the last surgury and she passed away. A friend of my parents has just been recently diagnosed with one also.

I am not meenig to be depressing so here is the good story.

My friend Laura has had a brian Tumour since befor I met her (about 12 years) she has had 4 surguries and she is doing amazing. Unfortunately she can't work because of the posibility of grand maul siezures but she has a full life volunteering and making jewlery. She is so inspireing and makes me appreciate every day I wake up in the morning. She does on occassion walk with a cane but she is more able bodied than a lot of people I know. She has fully recovered from her last surgery and all of her hair is back. She is thinking about adopting a cat. And is going to Newfoundland for Christmas.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have too many jerks around here who hunt - hack off the horns - leave the meat!

I can't imagine what that will do to her - find out her "life" is gone.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

I would imagine that a lot of natural predators are gone due to hunting for whatever reason (if not from habitat destruction).
In the past, yes. Cougars are still around in Oklahoma, even in parts where they're claimed not to be that abundant. I've found tracks to prove otherwise. Luckily, this state is still very rural. There's hundreds of miles of mountain land that is pretty much untouched and mostly unexplored. But the flip side of this is that we have a lot of deer.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

We have too many jerks around here who hunt - hack off the horns - leave the meat!

I can't imagine what that will do to her - find out her "life" is gone.
That's horrible and disrespectful. As whiteforest pointed out, there's always someone who would appreciate the meat. Though that may be partly caused by higher fees and a lot of restrictions from your state's Wildlife department.

Maybe after she's done grieving for her dog she'll be ready to adopt another pet? Moving forward is all one can do in life and if she has the love to give there's another animal out there who needs her just as much.