TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Do people really need this reminder?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do people really need this reminder?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
It seems like the relative stupidity level of car drivers has been rising over the last year or two. A few things I'm noticing:

1. If you're going along at a steady speed on the interstate, and a truck comes up behind you and pulls into the left lane to pass you, that is NOT the time to speed up.

2. If you're coming down an on-ramp and a truck moves into the left lane to allow you easy entry, either speed up and pass him or fall back and let him get back over. Don't punish him for his courtesy. (This one item, by the way, is the most common complaint call on those 800 numbers on the back of trucks. The conversation: "I came down the on-ramp, and your truck didn't move into the left lane to let me on the highway." The safety manager's reply: "Did you notice the triangular yellow sign on the ramp? That means YOU need to yield to the traffic on the interstate. In addition, in some states it is illegal for a truck to change lanes to facilitate your entry, and, in any case, we discourage our drivers from excessive lane changes, since that increases the chances of an accident. We encourage them to speed up or slow down to help you out, but they are not legally required to do either. Thank you for your safety concern, and have a nice day. Goodbye.")

3. Believe it or not, your bright lights DO go across the median and blind oncoming traffic. Review the law on the use of bright lights. Driving 11 hours in the dark fighting this is just exhausting. (Want to meet your local law enforcement officer? Don't dim your lights when you're meeting oncoming traffic. Officers say this one clue is their single best hint at an impaired driver, with nearly 50% of their stops for improper use of bright lights resulting in DUI charges.)

OK, rant temporarily over.
post #2 of 28
Though I got my license later than most, I learned a lot about trucking and road courtesy from my Dad. Probably #1 lesson is that they are bigger than you.

I, too, find a lot of people tend to forget THEY have to yield when merging.

to you for having to put up with the idiots who think they do own the road.
post #3 of 28
I'm out and about driving all day, so I have a lot of sympathy for you!

Do you have to deal with roundabouts? OMG, they put a lot in here over the last couple of years, and people are completely clueless about how to use them. No idea about giving way! How stupid do you have to be to think it's OK to just drive out into oncoming traffic just because you don't understand the concept of a roundabout? It doesn't change the laws of physics!! I'm amazed there aren't more accidents there, especially now in winter.
post #4 of 28
OMG roundabouts are not easy. We have only one where I live and its in the middle of a metropolitan neighborhood, but when I was in London, they had them everywhere. OMG I would start to panic as I approached or it was because I felt like I was driving from the passenger seat AND approaching a roundabout
post #5 of 28
I am always a pretty decent driver and very curtious, but as I was driving down the highway a semi decided to get into the left lane making me and the car in front of me drive off the road or be smashed. as i was going into the grass in the middle of the highway i kept repeting the number on the back of the truck got back on the highway caught up with him and called the number and gave them his license and then called the police and about 5 mins later a state highway patrol pulled him over. Stupid drivers make me angry, and you have a point, be curtious and don't cut people off and don't blame people for not being curtious not everyone notices and cares for that fact. Defensive Driving.
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
Well, one important point. If a driver is a jerk with four wheels, there's no reason to assume he'll be an angel with 18 of them.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
Though I got my license later than most, I learned a lot about trucking and road courtesy from my Dad. Probably #1 lesson is that they are bigger than you.

I, too, find a lot of people tend to forget THEY have to yield when merging.
or that the onramp is SUPPOSED to be used to speed up to the highway speed - not to slow down on!
post #8 of 28
My family calls me an idiot magnet when driving. My father is one too. When we're both in the same vehicle, it's really bad. lol

But the most recent incident I had was merging (and no, no yeild sign for me) onto an Interstate and I couldn't slow down or speed up enough to get over because some young girl, in a big SUV, with her cell phone to her ear, wasn't paying attention.

*sigh* I couldn't stop, because there was a line of traffic behind me, so I slammed my hand on my horn. It wasn't until I honked at her, that she looked over, then GOT over. :/ That was one of my scariest moments.

Btw, I give full courtesy to truck drivers, because I have found that 9 times out of 10, they are the BEST drivers on the road.
post #9 of 28
I always try to give semis as much room as possible and let them over if they need over. Most of the time they are good and courteous drivers.

I was in the left lane on a freeway the other day just about to pass a rest area when I looked ahead and saw that a semi was going to be getting on the freeway. Well, there was a semi in the right lane that needed to get over to let the other semi onto the freeway. I slowed down and flashed my headlights to let the semi driver know that he could come over, which he did. At that point, the semi from the rest area was just merging into the right lane when this little BMW decided he couldn't wait just another minute and passed me on the right, squeezing between both the semis in front of me. I thought for sure someone was going to be killed that time. People here in Ohio are so impatient and rude.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
I always try to give semis as much room as possible and let them over if they need over. Most of the time they are good and courteous drivers.

I was in the left lane on a freeway the other day just about to pass a rest area when I looked ahead and saw that a semi was going to be getting on the freeway. Well, there was a semi in the right lane that needed to get over to let the other semi onto the freeway. I slowed down and flashed my headlights to let the semi driver know that he could come over, which he did. At that point, the semi from the rest area was just merging into the right lane when this little BMW decided he couldn't wait just another minute and passed me on the right, squeezing between both the semis in front of me. I thought for sure someone was going to be killed that time. People here in Ohio are so impatient and rude.
I had an Ohio driver cut me off on I-65 heading North one time. I about peed my pants, while honking my horn, and slamming on my brakes. Considering the speed limit on 65 is 70mph, that was a gut-wrenching moment. Only time I've ever been cut off on the Interstate.
post #11 of 28
I probably peeve many drivers off in the winter when passing a semi (on the left) during winter driving conditions. I'll go a bit slower and won't pass on a bridge or on an overpass. Most times I won't even do it (pass) and will drive slower than the speed limit but visibility gets impacted at times.

Rather be safe.
post #12 of 28
I hear you Mike! My FIL was a trucker and my DH has taught me all the courtesies that car drivers need to use for them.

One of the things that I hate about the newer cars with permanent running lights, is that I can no longer flash my lights on and off to signal for a truck to get in ahead of me, or as a courtesy thanks to them when they do the same for me. My engine is on, my lights are on.
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
I hear you Mike! My FIL was a trucker and my DH has taught me all the courtesies that car drivers need to use for them.

One of the things that I hate about the newer cars with permanent running lights, is that I can no longer flash my lights on and off to signal for a truck to get in ahead of me, or as a courtesy thanks to them when they do the same for me. My engine is on, my lights are on.
But in most new cars, if you pull back on the turn signal stalk, it flashes your bright lights.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
But in most new cars, if you pull back on the turn signal stalk, it flashes your bright lights.
But then you blind people with your brights! Is that the new method you are supposed to use with truckers?
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
or that the onramp is SUPPOSED to be used to speed up to the highway speed - not to slow down on!

Ugh people around here do that all the time. I'm always complaining about how people don't know how to merge onto the expressway. I mean if the speed limit is 65 on the highway, do not still be 40 mph when you get on the ramp.

I've actually seen people come to an almost complete stop on the ramp because they weren't up to speed with the rest traffic so now they can't merge with the ongoing traffic because they've stopped! Had they been going the right speed to begin with they could have merged into traffic just fine.

Instead they nearly cause a 10 car pile up.
post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
If you have DRL's, it's about the only thing you CAN do. Just a quick flash is usually plenty.

Macks and Volvos (trucks) come with DRL's, but you can disable them by pulling a relay.
post #17 of 28
Another thing that annoys me that my husband does when driving:

He will be behind someone that isn't maintaing their speed and he says, "OMG! You have cruise control, use it!" And I have to remind him that not everyone has cruise control.
post #18 of 28
When I see a semi on the highway with me, I try to stay as far away as possible, maily because they scare the crap out of me! (No offense Mike). As someone stated, Rule #1...they are bigger, and therefore can really ruin your day if you tangle with them. DH gets so frustrated with me because if the highway only has 2 lanes, I will follow the semi (at whatever speed he's going..even if it's 40mph) to keep from having to pass. Once it opens to 3 lanes I'll pass....in the far left lane. They terrify me.

A friend at work was passing one onetime with her child in the back seat. Just when she was beside it, one of it's tires blew and part of it hit her car. The truck stayed under control, the car only got dented but she almost had a heartattack and nearly wrecked because she thought someone shot at her.

It does amaze me how people don't give room to a vehicle that is 10 times their size. I see people cutting off tractor trailers all the time going and coming from work. I guess they "assume" the semi's have breaks...yeah, it's a little different stopping something that big!
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
or that the onramp is SUPPOSED to be used to speed up to the highway speed - not to slow down on!
Except the on-ramps in my area are curved, so if you speed up to highway speed, you end up flipping your car or running up into a fence. I have to take an on-ramp from my friends house that is a 110* curve to the right. If I am at highway speed, I'll end up driving ACROSS the road instead of onto it!
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
It does amaze me how people don't give room to a vehicle that is 10 times their size. I see people cutting off tractor trailers all the time going and coming from work. I guess they "assume" the semi's have breaks...yeah, it's a little different stopping something that big!
I can sympathize with your fears, and I try to do what I can not to upset people.

As to the size, I am amazed that people will look me in the eye, then pull out in front of me or stop short in front of me. If they could imagine what their car would look like after it got hit by 30 Toyotas, one after the other, then they might have some comprehension of what their car would look like after I hit them.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I can sympathize with your fears, and I try to do what I can not to upset people.

As to the size, I am amazed that people will look me in the eye, then pull out in front of me or stop short in front of me. If they could imagine what their car would look like after it got hit by 30 Toyotas, one after the other, then they might have some comprehension of what their car would look like after I hit them.
It's simple physics. Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. And the more the mass, the harder it is to slow it down.
post #22 of 28
I thought of this thread this morning driving to work.

I always go to the #2 lane since I don't have to contend with people merging. I was in that lane this morning when a diesel merged in the lane next to me. I had passed him since I was driving faster. He sped up and has pulled a bit ahead of me. I was just about to the cab, when he put on his blinkers to change lanes. Since I was almost past him I sped up a bit so he could change lanes behind me. That jerk sped up and started to change lanes right into me! He knew I was there! I had to put on my breaks and slow way down to avoid an accident! He just passed the truck in front of him and changed back into that lane.

It is bad out here in Cali where a lot of truckers think they own the roads. I have seen them cut cars off. And there was one several years ago that was parked in the #1 lane of a surface street. White truck, very dense Tuli FOG, no hazard lights flashing. DH almost ran into the back of him but saw him just in time. I hope you don't take any offense Mike since I do know that there are a lot of good truckers out there, but the few bad ones give you all a bad name
post #23 of 28
Yielding is my pet peeve. I hate it when people come to a complete stop on the ramp and it makes it harder for everyone behind them to merge because they have to speed up and won't make it to interstate speed in time for the merge.

Here in Maine all our on ramps are straight and there's no reason for coming to a stop. Granted there's some ramps that are too short but most of them are totally long enough.


A couple years ago there was a white trailer truck jack knifed in the middle of the interstate in a snow storm. There was no way I could stop, I was almost on top of it and was actually contemplating if I could drive under it....but I made it around it....it was scary!
post #24 of 28
OH! Can I get in on this driving rant? lol...


Merging..It sounds easy enough all you got to do is leave a car length in front of you to let a person in. It's not that hard. You will still get to where you are going. Yesterday I was coming home on the freeway and I have to exit only to merge onto another freeway. I looked to my left, and not one person is leaving enough space for cars to get in. I finally laid on my horn! If it wasn't so cold out I would have yelled out my window "MERGE PEOPLE!!!" This route cause one of the biggest back up because people don't know how to merge. It's so easy. It's like a zipper! I always let people in when they need to merge on freeway. Only one, maybe two. That's it, no more or less..Traffic has to keep moving.

The fast lane. If you are not passing anyone you do not need to be in this lane. There is a reason for it being called the "fast lane". Look in your rear view mirror. If you got more than three cars behind you. Get over so they can pass.

OMG..There is so much more I can gripe about but off to work I go.

Wait..one more. FOUR WAY STOPS! Do not flag me to go before you. If you were there first, then go FIRST! I see people all the time at four way stops looking confused and dumb as if they had never seen one before. RULE: The person there first get's to go first, the person there second, gets to go second and so on! It's not rocket science!
post #25 of 28
mrblanche-I am not sure if you are familiar with the on-ramp at I-10 and 610 (near the Budweiser plant)...when drivers are coming from the Ship Channel bridge and merge onto I-10, they love to come to complete stop (since it doesn't have an accleration lane) before entering which results in many wreaks. I avoid that on-ramp and take old 90 all the home. It's a mess out there right now! Be careful!
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice View Post
mrblanche-I am not sure if you are familiar with the on-ramp at I-10 and 610 (near the Budweiser plant)...when drivers are coming from the Ship Channel bridge and merge onto I-10, they love to come to complete stop (since it doesn't have an accleration lane) before entering which results in many wreaks. I avoid that on-ramp and take old 90 all the home. It's a mess out there right now! Be careful!
Yeah, there are a lot of intersections that just were never designed right.

Pennsylvania is the worst state I know of for people stopping at the end of the ramp. Of course, it doesn't help that some of the highways actually have stop signs there!
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushylady View Post
I'm out and about driving all day, so I have a lot of sympathy for you!

Do you have to deal with roundabouts? OMG, they put a lot in here over the last couple of years, and people are completely clueless about how to use them. No idea about giving way! How stupid do you have to be to think it's OK to just drive out into oncoming traffic just because you don't understand the concept of a roundabout? It doesn't change the laws of physics!! I'm amazed there aren't more accidents there, especially now in winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
OMG roundabouts are not easy. We have only one where I live and its in the middle of a metropolitan neighborhood, but when I was in London, they had them everywhere. OMG I would start to panic as I approached or it was because I felt like I was driving from the passenger seat AND approaching a roundabout
Continental Europe has gone roundabout-crazy, too. I've finally gotten used to them, and appreciate how smoothly the traffic flows at formerly horrid intersections, but I just wish people would signal when they're going to leave the roundabout, not enter it! And don't get me started on "roundabout art", which just makes it more difficult to judge when you can enter, because the view around the bend is obstructed.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Continental Europe has gone roundabout-crazy, too. I've finally gotten used to them, and appreciate how smoothly the traffic flows at formerly horrid intersections, but I just wish people would signal when they're going to leave the roundabout, not enter it! And don't get me started on "roundabout art", which just makes it more difficult to judge when you can enter, because the view around the bend is obstructed.
There is a road in our city that is in desperate need of a new paving job, and with that, they're going to put TWO roundabouts in at four-way stops. This city isn't used to roundabouts, so this ought to be fun.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Do people really need this reminder?