Help !! cats driving me crazy

jonesy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 3 cats Momcat and her 2 kittens precious and Koko. The kittens are about 6 months old don't know if you can really call them kittens anymore being pretty big already.Over the last week or so their favorite now play area has been behind our entertainment center.

This is bad for too many reasons to list they pull out the tv cable and speaker wires plus it could be dangerous with all the stuff plugged in. they're also jumping on the speakers and tv and pulling stuff off the walls (we have stuff on the walls with beads and feathers go figure).

Because of the electronic stuff a spray bottle is out of the question.We tried dishes full of orange peels because we heard they don't like that.....no effect
A few months back when we didn't want them behind/ under the couch we tried a spray can of cat repellent worked for an hour and smells horrible + expensive (more like human repellent). Alum. foil......nope tried it behind the pc they walk over it cautiously then become curious and start ripping it up.

I understand they're young and curious and it's probably not realistic to keep them out of everything but does anyone have any ideas as to what might be more effective??

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a can of compressed air. It's safe for the electronics.

Don't spray the cat with the compressed air, though, just up in the air can work.

It's like a mama cat's hiss, which is a correction.

In the meantime, maybe block off access to the back of the entertainment center somehow.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same problem with Ricochet, Jinxy, Cassidy, & Chiquita: they're 7 months old now. Usually all I have to do is say, "Get away from there" and they'll listen. You gotta be firm and persistant about it.

Originally Posted by Forensic

Try a can of compressed air. It's safe for the electronics.

Don't spray the cat with the compressed air, though, just up in the air can work.

It's like a mama cat's hiss, which is a correction.
That's a good idea!
I never thought of that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonesy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the compressed air trick. I always have a can around. They don't like that at all. Should I let them see me do it ? Or should I try and hide it a bit? Maybe they'll think its the all seeing all knowing cat deity lol.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is also a good idea to offer them a "play center" away from the entertainment center, with toys and maybe a cat tree/condo, so they can shift their attention to something more interesting. Closing the access to the back of the entertainment center is going to be essential though - you don't want them to get hurt...
Good Luck!

halo_girl02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a stray cat become an indoor cat and we had to teach him to stay away from the door (in our apt). We did start with a spray bottle, which I know that's not an option for you - and I know now that it's not a good idea. Beforewe ever sprayed him we would say his name really sternly and snap our fingers. So now if he is by the door we can just hold up the spray bottle and he walks away or we snap our fingers and he moves away.

Maybe you could use the compressed air with the same effect as the water bottle. Just snap your fingers and say their names before you make the can spray. It worked for us!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With regards to the hanging stuff on the walls with beads and feathers, that's a no win battle for you! Maybe it's a good time to redecorate?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonesy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we're better off now. I put in smaller speakers to prevent easy access to the stuff on the wall. i positioned some shelves on the floor to block off the back of the tv stand. And found some spray with kind of a bitter apple smell.I sprayed the rug and and speaker grills. They do have a scratching post can cat condo nearby too. Thanx for the replies.