Introducing a New Cat (Happening Now)

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone-

As you can tell, I am new here.

My wife and I rescued our cat Maya from a city shelter in June 2006 when we lived in New York. In July/August 2008 we got married and moved to Virginia. Maya has been a great cat so far. She sleeps at night in our bed, is playful, she always does her business where it should be done and is generally really sweet to us. She is about 2 1/2 (we resued her when she was about 1)

Just today we rescued a new cat who we think we are calling Sophie. She is 10 months and seems to be a lap cat....when we visited her all she wanted to do was kneed my legs and just hang out on my lap. We brought Sophie home tonight and put her in our second bedroom with a litterbox, food and water. I actually had my bowling league right after and my wife hung out with Sophie who was pretty comfortable. After my wife then took a nap outside the second bedroom with Maya, she went in the second bedroom, but Sophie was under the bed (it looks like she had knocked something over and startled herself). When I got home I hung out with Maya....my wife actually had a plastic string that she was sticking under the door and playing with Maya....then went to the second bedroom. I talked to Sophie and coaxed her out from under the bed and my wife and I hung out with her for 30 minutes.

When we got out, Maya was not happy....she was hissing and raised a paw at me and hissing at the general direction of the door. I put a bunch of food, treats and some catnip by the door which got Maya there.....she ate the food, but was growling while doing it. She has been a bit standoffish from me since then, but the good news is that she did use her litterbox, so hopefully she won't mark around (she has never done this). We did play for a little while which was good, but she lost interest pretty quick and is in her bed in the living room which looks out the front window.

So, I was just seeing what people thought the next step was.....it is a really bad sign that Maya seemed kind of upset?

I

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is definitely good your are keeping them separate. This may take a bit of time and giving both attention individually is a good thing as well. It sounds like Maya is very upset with the new presence, and is going to take a lot of reassurance. The new kitty may be wanting to roam and expand before Maya is ready to except, so just take it slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

It is definitely good your are keeping them separate. This may take a bit of time and giving both attention individually is a good thing as well. It sounds like Maya is very upset with the new presence, and is going to take a lot of reassurance. The new kitty may be wanting to roam and expand before Maya is ready to except, so just take it slowly.
Thanks.....she is in her bed now which I guess is a good sign. Hopefully she'll be ok.

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Short update....Maya had calmed down a lot and I petted her and held her with no problem...then went back into Sophie's room and did the same with her. Earlier in the night I had put Maya's automatic feeder next to the door which she can get the food out any time she wants and does (she is not a self feeder) and she started playing it like a slot machine and still did so while I was with Sophie....then found her on our bed sleeping....I went in there and let her sniff me and she hissed....gave her a couple of treats-from my hand and she growled in the process....

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go slowly.
Sasha hissed at Oreo when we got her.
Now they love each other and play alot.
Let her smell her scent on the toys and you.
I would put her in a carrier next and let her smell it.
I have a new cat coming soon that would have been here today but it was to could to ship her.

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Maya is doing better. She slept in our bed as usual and has been interested in the door, but has not hissed that I have seen. She also sniffed our coats late last night, but had not bad reaction to it.

Sophie slept in the bathroom last night in the second bedroom because we wanted to be sure she is litter trained even though the rescue group said she was.

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are going well. Maya has been a little more quiet than usual, but otherwise fine. After playing with Sohpie, I washed my hands, and petted Maya and she was fine. I also picked her up, so I think these are good signs.

I have a thought.....could part of the problem be that Sophie has the smells of dozens of other cats on her? Would giving Sophie a bath help? She is a bit stinky anyway.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're brave, a bath might not be a bad idea.

Cats are territorial, and females more so than males, so Maya undoubtedly is hissy about having her territory invaded. Many people expect the cuddly cat at the shelter to cuddle up with their current cuddly cats, but that's just not the way it works. And even when you do introduce them, they will have to work out dominance.

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

If you're brave, a bath might not be a bad idea.

Cats are territorial, and females more so than males, so Maya undoubtedly is hissy about having her territory invaded. Many people expect the cuddly cat at the shelter to cuddle up with their current cuddly cats, but that's just not the way it works. And even when you do introduce them, they will have to work out dominance.
True....Sophie is very laid back, so she probably would not be so bad with two people.

Maya and Sophie were on opposible sides of the same door with my wife being inside the second bedroom pushing Sophie's toy under the door. Maya did hiss twice, but also played with the toy. Also, when my wife got out of the room, she petted Maya without incident and Maya licked her hand.

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update and a few questions.....

Sophie, the new cat is adjusting really well. She is using the litterbox, eating, drinking and exploring the room she is in. In fact, I think she may be bored just being in one little spare bedroom....sometimes I hear noises in there and I think she is running around demolition derby style.

Maya seems to be coming along also, albeit a little more slowly. While she still hisses and growls at the door when Sophie is around it, they seem to be half-hearted. In fact, I flick food from Sophie's room (which I have rubbed on Sophie) to Maya on the other side of the door, she promptly eats eat (while still growling of course). For the most part Maya's actions seem defensive and not offensive....when she growls or hisses she is almost always in a sitting position....she also eats by the door with no problem from her automatic feeder. Away from the door, Maya's behavior is completely normal. After I play with and pet Sophie and I seek Maya out and let her smell my fingers and she has taken to doing a few small licks of them.....now growling and no hissing anymore like she did Wednesday and Thursday.

Sophie though, seems ready to burst out. So my question is, what should the next step be and when? Should I wait for Maya to completely stop groaning and hissing no matter how harmless I think it is? Can I put Maya in my bedroom and let Sophie explore the house for a half a day and put her smells around Maya's territory or switch them altogether?

Thanks!

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should also add that Sophie is unafraid of Maya....the shelter said she got along with all the other cats no matter whether they hissed at her or not.

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a further update.....Maya had dinner at the door without and growling or hissing. Good sign.

Would be interested on people's thoughts regarding my post above. Thanks all.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have some place you could put something like a screen door between them so they can see each other without being able to touch (or scratch or bite)? Or maybe you could put Sophie in a carrier and leave the door to the room open to let Maya go in when she's ready to get closer to Sophie. I would only do that for about 10-15 minutes at a time because Sophie probably won't appreciate being closed up in a small space for long.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This often is the case, the new kitty settles in and wants to explore, looking for acceptance by the other. It is very important to allow Maya to feel comfortable with the new presence in her time. GoldyCat has excellent advice, just keep it slow and reassure Maya she is not being replaced or punished.

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions

I was able to rig a screen and open Sophie's door half way last night. I put treats down by the door and Maya was eating them while growling and sometimes hissing at Sophie. Sophie didn't seem to care at all and even used the litter while Maya was hissing. At some point Maya got bored and left and went downstairs and that was the end of it.

Do you all think I should do this for a few days or do the room switch? In other respects Maya seems fine if not a little more quiet than usual....we played fetch today as we always do, she licked by wifes legs when she got out of the shower as she usually does for us and slept with us last night. She is also using her litterbox and eating normally. But, on the other hand, she is still not thrilled with Sophie. Do I keep the process going and let them work it out or do I give Maya more time?

Thanks all!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can also take a towel, rub Sophie down with the towel, and then take the same towel and rub Maya down with it, and make them smell the same.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would give them a few more days with the screen between them. When you do open the door, don't physically put them in the same room. Let them decide when to get together. From what you've said, Sophie is likely to be the one to make the first move. If they start fighting, give them a couple of minutes to work things out themselves before you separate them. You may still have to keep Sophie isolated at night and when you're away from home for a while.

Don't try to rush them. If you force them together too soon, you may have to start the introductions all over again.

Sounds like you're doing well so far.

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

You can also take a towel, rub Sophie down with the towel, and then take the same towel and rub Maya down with it, and make them smell the same.
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I would give them a few more days with the screen between them. When you do open the door, don't physically put them in the same room. Let them decide when to get together. From what you've said, Sophie is likely to be the one to make the first move. If they start fighting, give them a couple of minutes to work things out themselves before you separate them. You may still have to keep Sophie isolated at night and when you're away from home for a while.

Don't try to rush them. If you force them together too soon, you may have to start the introductions all over again.

Sounds like you're doing well so far.
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I am sorry to ask so many questions at every step.....I just want to make sure I do this the right way.

So, I did the screen again today for about 90 minutes so far. I was in the next room-less than 10 feet away cleaning, but I popped my head in every two minutes or so. For the first 10-15 mins the screen was up, Maya did not bother to go there (and she had to know it was up because it makes a pretty big noise when put it up. It is actually those metal cages that you connect together to make cubbies for clothing etc.....it's actually this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...652600&RN=1009 I rigged them four high with a piece of wood on either side) When she finally went up she mostly sat there growling once in a while with a couple of hisses while Sophie occasionally lurked in the background. Finally after 10 minutes Sophie approached the gate with Maya about 5 feet away and Maya was silent....no hissing no growling.....I was shocked....after about a minute, Sophie broke the stare looked away and went on her away....

I also have Maya's automatic feeder at the door which she can game and eat whenever she wants....after a little while Maya was eating from it though Sophie was not at the gate at the time.

After awhile, Maya got bored and left. Now I am downstairs (from Sophie's room) with Maya and she is purring away behind me on the couch on my shoulder).

I am just very excited that progress is being made.

Tomorrow is Sophie's vet appointment and I'll be home all day (I got laid off about 3 weeks ago, but I may start another assignment later this week). Should I keep her room open while I am gone so Maya can explore it while no one is home? When I get back, I was thinking of putting the gate up and pretty much leaving it that way the entire day (as long as I am home of course).

Thoughts? At some point I would like to give Sophie an opportunity to explore around, but Maya's mental health is more important.

The towels is a good idea......I will do that with some old socks-less intimidating.

Thanks everyone!

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey- sounds like it's going pretty well with your two girls.

I would let Maya sniff around in peace and quiet in new girl's room. What I found out in similar situation (two existing cats, one very nervous about the new guy plus a new guy who was very relaxed and known to have been with other cats at shelter) was that my existing guys were very wary in new guy's room even when he was not there. However, they very much liked to go eat from his cup and check his potty...

The opposite however was an absolute insult. When I let the new guy take a turn and walk the house (existing cats were locked in bedroom), there were consequences letting him explore the food cups and litter boxes. Nothing else mattered but after he had left his scent there (he did not piddle or eat even), it was too much and puddles emerged during the next night! Nothing more but it was just too much from first walk! Otherwise the brothers just walked the house sniffing wherever the newcomer had gone, and everything was fine.

We did do first walks in each other rooms without the other one/s watching but because new brother was so relaxed we very quickly were able to have joined walks (everyone walking together, eyeballing, and the most nervous one occasionally growling). For first nights after well gone visits we still isolated newbie but he started yowling in his solitude, and we decided that he can probably fend for himself soon after that.

Good luck - I enjoyed reading about your progress!

esc2476

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

hey- sounds like it's going pretty well with your two girls.

I would let Maya sniff around in peace and quiet in new girl's room. What I found out in similar situation (two existing cats, one very nervous about the new guy plus a new guy who was very relaxed and known to have been with other cats at shelter) was that my existing guys were very wary in new guy's room even when he was not there. However, they very much liked to go eat from his cup and check his potty...

The opposite however was an absolute insult. When I let the new guy take a turn and walk the house (existing cats were locked in bedroom), there were consequences letting him explore the food cups and litter boxes. Nothing else mattered but after he had left his scent there (he did not piddle or eat even), it was too much and puddles emerged during the next night! Nothing more but it was just too much from first walk! Otherwise the brothers just walked the house sniffing wherever the newcomer had gone, and everything was fine.

We did do first walks in each other rooms without the other one/s watching but because new brother was so relaxed we very quickly were able to have joined walks (everyone walking together, eyeballing, and the most nervous one occasionally growling). For first nights after well gone visits we still isolated newbie but he started yowling in his solitude, and we decided that he can probably fend for himself soon after that.

Good luck - I enjoyed reading about your progress!
Thanks for your insight. I enjoyed reading about your experience.

I took Sophie to the vet today. I took her to the bathroom and put her in the crate there.....in case she got away. She was yelping and crying. I took her in her crate downstairs and Maya was growling at her with a hiss or two. While we were gone, I left the room open, but I am not sure if Maya was in there while I was gone.

Since we've been home, I put the gate up, but neither has shown much interest in being at the gate (Maya was there for about 10 mins and did a little growling and a few hisses). Sophie was pretty wiped after the vet visit (all 6 1/2 lbs of her!), but she did come from under the bed to be petted at one point.

The vet thought I should introduce them tonight, but I think that is too quick. I think maybe I'll put Maya in our room and let Sophie roam around for a little while tonight.