National NEWS : human related but

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The national news is now warning us ( humans) not to use just the internet to handle illness . The same should be used when helping our kitties .

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1. Source?

2. Define 'handle'

3. Why should we trust the media?

What exactly are you suggesting? Shall we not post in this forum (Health and Nutrition) with matters relating to our feline's health? The internet is a wonderful tool and it us up to the user to use his or her best judgment. If your cat has a runny nose and the internet tells you to put it down, the internet is not to blame for the cat's untimely demise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

1. Source?

2. Define 'handle'

3. Why should we trust the media?

What exactly are you suggesting? Shall we not post in this forum (Health and Nutrition) with matters relating to our feline's health? The internet is a wonderful tool and it us up to the user to use his or her best judgment. If your cat has a runny nose and the internet tells you to put it down, the internet is not to blame for the cat's untimely demise.
Source the 5:30 news NBC or ABC ( I listen to it do not actually watch)

Handle : use in place of proper medical advise

I am not saying trust the media , just passing on info that might aid someone . I do like your analogy but unfortunately many do not double check the info on the internet prior to treating . The main idea of the news cast was to verify any treatment you find on the internet with your dr .

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hummmm.... Not sure about this one.... I tend to trust the net almost as much as my doctor - the net is definitely either the first or second opinion... It has just about every single medical publication in "recent years", and like anything, it is our job to research and discuss. It is an amazing tool - much better than the media, actually, IMO.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know about others, but whatever advice I'm given through the internet, I always, always double-check with a professional first. Better safe than sorry.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always check with my vet before trying anything, but find the support, encouragement, and inspiration from those who've dealt with whatever situation I'm experiencing invaluable. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person in the world who's ever dealt with a particular experience.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The internet is a great tool for researching problems, but you always need to get confirmation thru a professional. Anne posted a reminder here a little while ago about not offering medical advice to folks because they often take it as truth. It was a great reminder because there isn't a single vet on the site, and even if there were, how can you diagnose a cat without seeing them?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

I don't know about others, but whatever advice I'm given through the internet, I always, always double-check with a professional first. Better safe than sorry.
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I always check with my vet before trying anything, but find the support, encouragement, and inspiration from those who've dealt with whatever situation I'm experiencing invaluable. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person in the world who's ever dealt with a particular experience.

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I, just like many other people, don't have medical insurance. Once I came down with a weird pain in my arm and tried to shake it off for a few days. Wasn't getting any better. I then turned to the internet and look up my symptoms on medical websites. Within 5 minutes I found out my problem(tennis elbow) and used the suggestions, no medication, to help heal my arm. Back to normal within a few days.

Another time I came down with a unusual sickness. I had the flu symptoms but my eyes felt like they needed to be popped and I had a rash on my side. I stuck it out for a few days, like I always try to do, and then I needed to find a answer to my problem. Turned to the internet again. Within five minutes I found out I had west nile, it has a few unique symptoms. I remember being bite at a job site 4 days earlier. Followed the advice on the medical websites and everything was fine.

Every situation is different but for these two and a few other problems the info on the net was good. Not say all the info is good but if you do some smart searching there are some good valid answers on the internet.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually where I live is better to use the net than the doctors...

I had a severe problem in the summer and the doctors would not find the source, then I searched on the net and I went and ask my doctor the possibility of being that problem, (it would be a chance of 1 in 1000) and he said it was impossible.

I did not listen and went to the lab and got tested for that, I was right. Then I had the right treatment....

So it all depends where you are and what you have around... for me this forum is extremely helpful having vets as competent as human doctors