Persi usurps Alley's "rights"!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rewind to a year ago. Alley's designated spot at night was between mine and DW's head. Persi was relegated to sleeping at the foot of the bed. This did not just happen, it is something that evolved over time.

Then came the move to the new house which was not finished in time so we found ourselves living in a hotel room which totally uprooted the cats and they slept under the bed where they remained most of the day.

Then Persi freaked out one day and bit me and had to go to animal jail. When he got out, we sent both cats to live with my SIL for about a month until our new home was ready to move in.

All of this changed nothing. The first night in our new home we left both cats on the first floor to see what they would do. We went to bed on the third floor and figured that it would take quite a while before the cats would find us. Not so. That morning we woke up with Alley between our heads and Persi at the foot of the bed. In the six months we have lived here, nothing has changed.

Now, fast forward the tape to last night. Nothing unusual to report about yesterday. But when we got into bed here comes Persi and goes around and around and finally settles directly between our heads. We are both amazed and astounded! Well, enter Alley. She sees what Persi has done and has every intention to not allow such a thing to happen. Persi, who I had never heard hiss in his life, hissed with Alley back and forth as to who had the right to sleep at the headboard. We finally broke up the fight and Persi remained right where he was the duration of the night. Alley disappeard and did not sleep at the foot of the bed.

The most interesting thing about this to me is that when we rescued Alley, Persi welcomed her with open paws. Alley never wanted to have anything to do with Persi and hissed and hissed at him everytime he made an advance towards her to be her friend.

So what in the world has gotten into Persi? How in the world could such a thing suddenly change Persi's mind about things?
Wow, I can't wait until tonight to see what happens!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess Persi was tired of smelling your feet!
I'm not surprised that Alley didn't stick around but have no real idea why Persin suddenly thought he needed to be at the head.

How is he doing with the elevator?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I guess Persi was tired of smelling your feet!
I'm not surprised that Alley didn't stick around but have no real idea why Persin suddenly thought he needed to be at the head.

How is he doing with the elevator?
My feet? C'mon now, surely there is a somewhat more scientific answer than that. Regarding the elevator, it is still Alley who remains fearful of it, even after six months she is still fearful of it. Persi, on the other hand, likes to race me from floor to floor and since he can always see (or sense?) which way I am going he usally is there waiting for me, stinky feet notwithstanding!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why he would suddenly try to take over Alley's spot. I know Riley changes his sleeping location every few weeks/months though. He will sleep in one particular cat bed for a month or so, then sleep at the foot of the bed. Then after a while he will sleep in a different cat bed. Not sure if he gets bored or what but he will sleep in the same spot every single night until he just decides to move

Maybe Persi just wanted a change and decided if that spot was good enough for Alley...

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just put it down to feline contairyness. How often do we throw up our hands and say "CATS!"? (And how often do they throw up their paws and say "HUMANS!"?)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

My feet? C'mon now, surely there is a somewhat more scientific answer than that. Regarding the elevator, it is still Alley who remains fearful of it, even after six months she is still fearful of it. Persi, on the other hand, likes to race me from floor to floor and since he can always see (or sense?) which way I am going he usally is there waiting for me, stinky feet notwithstanding!
...OT...I love that word, notwithstanding...Anyway, I think that I agree with AlleyGirl that Persi just wanted to see what is so cool about Alley's sleeping space.