Still Biting...So Tired of This

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so frustrated right now. I've been trying to stay patient and form the habit of putting my cat in another room from me when he attacks me, to show him I don't approve and calm him down.

This time he literally drew blood, a lot, and I'm just tired of it. I may have to start wearing long sleeves and gloves and two pairs of socks just to protect my arms hands and feet.

Gonna re-read the thread about kitty violence towards owners and see if I can figure out a solution to this problem. I know it takes time to form a habit, and I should have patience. But patience doesn't say anything about letting him shred my hand. -.-

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to stay patient and form the habit of putting my cat in another room from me when he attacks me, to show him I don't approve and calm him down.
Letting him know in human terms that you don't approve of his behavior, putting him in another room, time outs, handling him in any way in such situations, does not work. In fact, any of these approaches will only make things worse. You have to deal with aggression without handling the aggressive cat. Never, ever touch or handle an aggressive cat.

IS HE NEUTERED? If so, how long ago was he neutered?

Have you taken him to the vet to rule out a neurological problem that can cause aggressive behavior?

If he is a healthy, neutered kitten, identifying the triggers and using behavior modification without ever handling him in any way when he is aggressive will lead to the positive changes in his behavior you are hoping for.

Identifying the triggers and following proven expert advice are the keys to success.
Trying to figure out a solution on your own is not the way to go because when we are on our own we inevitably make mistakes and those mistakes make it impossible for us to succeed.

Please PM me if you'd like to talk some more about all this.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens often do this. Sometimes they are taken from their moms too soon and are not taught not to bite and sometimes they are just little boogers.

Bijou was bad for grabbing my ankles and biting. Whenever he grabbed I stopped dead still, said OW really loudly and hissed at him just like his mama would have done. Blowing in their faces can also work.

It is also possible your cat is teething (depending on how old he is) in which case you can toss around some of those fat plastic straws for him to chew on. When some of them get chewed, replace them with new ones. It relieves their little gums.

Do not every use your hands to play with the kitten - you don't want him to think of your hands as toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He isn't neutered, I should take him next month, he needs his next shot too, and I'm waiting for the big GST check, January, to do all that. Its like $65 for a visit, then the $100 for neutering and all that.

Maybe neutering will help. >__> I DO sit still and yell ow, and it doesn't change his behavior at all. I hiss and it just seems to egg him on.

I need like a noise maker of some sort maybe, to startle him into running. I dunno.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember with my kittens I would have a glove type cat toy and play "rough" with them. Last one I saw online was offered from the website dr's foster and smith. Let them hang onto it and kick at it and bite. Have them on their backs and move your hand back and forth on their tummies (covered with the toy glove specially made for rambunctious kitties of course
). That got the "crazy's" out of them. Like a sibling surrogate in a way.

Keeping the nails clipped helps alot and it is best to get them used to it at this age. Takes time to get it done because they can rarely tolerate more than one (not paw but actual nail) at a time but it's important.

Till you can get him neutered keep your hands out of his reach and be cautious. It just takes time. It's something they have to learn and grow out of. It's the part of taking in a pet that people rarely talk about, especially with puppies and kittens who need to grow up and learn things. It takes time.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case it is an "Anger Managment" issue- you can look for the signs of intended aggression (they can be very subtle, such as a hard stare, narrowing of eyes, slight backward pointing of ears, and when the biting seems to be imminent, offer another target. Just put the target in his face, to be attacked, when he's trying to get your hands or ankles.
For Andrea, it was a pink, stuffed flamingo. She would really launch into that toy
But it stopped her biting & ankle-attacking. She finally got to the point that she would attack the flamingo on the floor without approaching a human. She was easily over-stimulated by petting and would jump off & pounce her flamingo when the urge was upon her. She's finally grown into a sweet, affectionate cat

Sending prayers and vibes that your little guy works it out

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Firecat

I'm so frustrated right now.
This will make the situation worse.

Gonna re-read the thread about kitty violence towards owners and see if I can figure out a solution to this problem.
Kittens are NOT VIOLENT. Typical kitten behavior. This is a kitten that has NO mother cat to help him learn. Think of him being equal to having a human toddler in the house.

I know it takes time to form a habit, and I should have patience. But patience doesn't say anything about letting him shred my hand. -.-
Do NOT use your hands to play. You are teaching him by using your hands to play.
I repeat what others have mentioned. Get one of those kitten play gloves with the long fingers and ONLY use that for play time.

Getting him neutered will help.

What tips have you tried that everyone has offered and for what length of time? This will help others give you different ideas to try.

Have you gotten the plastic straws for him to chew on?

Have you tried blowing a puff of air at him?

Do you watch for him getting over stimulated and stop playing?

Do you touch his paws often and get him used to having them touched for clipping. Even if only one claw is clipped. That's ok, do another one later. He will get used to this.

Do you put a thick towel or blanket in your lap when you play with him on the floor? He would not be capable of 'biting' your leg if you were covered.

Remember, you are all he has to learn from and play with, unless you plan on adopting him a playmate.

Think of raising a kitten to be very much like raising a child. We teach, they learn. Be consistent and find what works for him. Wishing you the best.