Adobe Flash Player?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What exactly is Adobe Flash Player, and what function does it provide? Is it necessary to have?

Every once in awhile I'll get a pop-up for it to be installed, but I have no idea what it's used for or if it's even necessary.

Any advice?

caleeko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its the same as the old macromedia flash player. Adobe bought them or they merged or something. You have to have it to see youtube videos and stuff.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pretty much anything that is animated in the net, and a LOT of the new pages require Flash Player. Nowadays I would say it is needed - Definitely safe...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it must already be installed then, b/c I do get animations & stuff. I guess the pop-up is actually an update, then.

Would it be best to do an update from what's installed on my computer? Or should I click on the pop-up and download it that way? I'm kind of paranoid about downloading anything now, after the old computer crashed, and also after the virus download fiasco!

y'all.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Well, it must already be installed then, b/c I do get animations & stuff. I guess the pop-up is actually an update, then.

Would it be best to do an update from what's installed on my computer? Or should I click on the pop-up and download it that way? I'm kind of paranoid about downloading anything now, after the old computer crashed, and also after the virus download fiasco!

y'all.
Go to the adobe page and download from there - the link is below...
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be careful!

There is a virus going around through Facebook at the moment and it instructs you to download Flash - hubby fell for it yesterday and downloaded it - I just spent some time removing it. Argh!

Like Eithne said, just download it from the Adobe website to be safe.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

It isn't necessarily animated images like smilies but youtube videos etc

I would download it from the adobe page just to be sure
From my computer desktop icon you mean? Or the Adobe website?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Be careful!

There is a virus going around through Facebook at the moment and it instructs you to download Flash - hubby fell for it yesterday and downloaded it - I just spent some time removing it. Argh!

Like Eithne said, just download it from the Adobe website to be safe.

That's why I'm so paranoid! You have to be soooo careful!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

From the adobe site - if you get a virus it could tell you fromj your computer to d/l from the wrong site
Okay - thanks, Icklmiss!

Speaking of viruses, is there a way to find out if you're infected with one from your computer or anti-virus program?

I apologize for all the questions.
But I really don't know anyone else who can help with all of this computer stuff, and you don't know until you ask. And I want to be as safe & protected as I can possibly be.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

keep your virus scanner on at all times, make sure you download its updates and new virus definitions and do a full scan regularly
The virus program is running 24/7 and I always download the updates, but what is a full scan?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Okay - thanks, Icklmiss!

Speaking of viruses, is there a way to find out if you're infected with one from your computer or anti-virus program?

I apologize for all the questions.
But I really don't know anyone else who can help with all of this computer stuff, and you don't know until you ask. And I want to be as safe & protected as I can possibly be.
There's no reason at all to be sorry. Everyone started out not knowing things.

what software are you using? If there's an icon in the systray, double click it and find an option to do a manual/full scan

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

There's no reason at all to be sorry. Everyone started out not knowing things.
Thanks for understanding, Fastnoc.

what software are you using? If there's an icon in the systray, double click it and find an option to do a manual/full scan
I'm using Avast. I'll try what you recommended. Thanks!