TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › a difficult decision
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

a difficult decision

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
My cat Tempyst was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy about 5 months ago, as well as a weak lung lobe which causes him to get pneumonia a lot. The medicine we were given is supposed to help his heart by relaxing the blood vessels so it doesn't have to pump as hard, but then it causes him to sleep all the time and cough. He's no more active or happier since being put on the meds, so I'm not sure if they're even working for him.

He's had a horrible cough for several weeks now, and there seems to be nothing we can do to abate it because it's a side-effect of the medicine, but today it looked like he had a bloody nose and he's started sneezing all the time too.
We've got an appointment when a vet for Thursday to check up on him and his heart.

I love the little guy to pieces but I don't know how fair it is to keep him around by having him on all this medicine just so I don't have to say goodbye. Especially with him being miserable because of the cough and sneezing. He's been a wonderful cat, and he's brought so much to our lives, but I just don't know what to do anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 13
I cannot give you an answer. I just wanted to offer my support in whatever you decide. It cannot be easy in any way and you have my sympathy. I am sure, just by you coming here for advice, you will come to the best decision for you and your kitty. I am so sorry he is not feeling well and that you are troubled for him
post #3 of 13
Can you get a 2nd opinion on the meds.
I do not know what to tell you to do because its your choice.
Dec 4th is the day I found my Stormy almost dead and she was pts Dec 5th.
I s there any vet school you can go to?
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I cannot give you an answer. I just wanted to offer my support in whatever you decide. It cannot be easy in any way and you have my sympathy. I am sure, just by you coming here for advice, you will come to the best decision for you and your kitty. I am so sorry he is not feeling well and that you are troubled for him
Thank you very much, for your support. I truly appreciate it, and can only hope that I will make the right decision, whatever that is, when it comes down to it.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Can you get a 2nd opinion on the meds.
I do not know what to tell you to do because its your choice.
Dec 4th is the day I found my Stormy almost dead and she was pts Dec 5th.
I s there any vet school you can go to?
I'm definitely going to ask them about the meds because the vet that prescribed them really had no idea what he was doing in dealing with this disease and even admitted as much.

I'm very, very sorry to hear about your Stormy. It must have been awful to discover her like that.

I got a reference about a vet school from the website of the vet I'm going to on Thursday, If I can't get any real help from this vet (they're supposed to be really good), perhaps I will try them. Are vet schools better than regular offices?
post #6 of 13
It's hard to let go when you love them so much. I may be having to face that decision soon myself if nothing can be done for my Maverick. I in no way want to lose him, but if he's suffering in any way, I know that I would do what's best for him b/c I love him so much. I wouldn't want him to be miserable.

I can't give you any answers, either. You have to do what you think is best for Tempyst. I think you'll find the answers in your heart.

I'm sorry to hear that she's not feeling well, and I'm sorry that you're having a hard time dealing with it. Listen to your heart for the answer to come.

to you & Tempyst.
post #7 of 13
I am so sorry to hear about your Tempyst. I, too, lost my Aragorn in January due to cardiomyopothy; he was just 4. He wasn't living with me when he was first diagnosed and his pawrents at the time, after speaking with the vet, decided that medication wouldn't help. He was very active and loving the short time he lived with me and I will always miss him. As has been said before, listen to your heart and you will know what to do.
post #8 of 13
Hello,

I am so sorry for what you and your dear kitty are facing right now. It's a horribly tough and stressful situation to be in, what to do? what is the right thing to do?

Well, I wondered if you were aware of the Feline Heart Support Group on Yahoo? It's for owners of kitties who have various heart conditions and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a very common one there......if nothing else, you can communicate with other owners whose kitties have HCM or have had it......maybe discuss different med possibilities, etc etc. Here is the link, you'll have to sign up to join the group:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/
post #9 of 13
I would go for a second opinion too if possible. It does not hurt to have all the information you need in making such a decision.

I agree that support groups are very helpful. While they cannot make the decisions for you, they have been through the same issues and can offer some answers and clarification.

I just went through the same issue with my Casey. He was much older - 15 - but age does not matter. It is very, very tough no matter what the situation. Try to include both your head and your heart in your thinking. I know it sounds a little crazy, but I just KNEW when it was time. I could feel his unhappiness and pain and I knew he was not my normal happy boy. Even so, nothing prepares one for the grief except perhaps knowing that our kitty's pain is over. I believe they know we are doing our best for them. I believe they understand our motives and love us for being their advocate in all things. One can never be 100% certain in these instances, so please take care of yourself. Whatever you decide, you are doing it with love and that is what counts most of all.
post #10 of 13
It's a while since I was faced with that decision, and it's never easy, but between what you know and observe of your cat, and what your vet can tell you about his general condition and prognosis, you will know when it's no longer fair to him to keep trying.

I hope you find some answers that will enable you to have more quality time with Tempyst, but I know, whatever you discover, you'll do what's best for him.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namo View Post
...I got a reference about a vet school from the website of the vet I'm going to on Thursday...Are vet schools better than regular offices?
Veterinary schools have the advantage of having the most up-to-date technology and competent feline specialists. If this Vet has the reference on his/her website, there' a very high liklihood that he already has a rapport with the school, at the least, s/he will have no reservations about referring you there. For HCM, I would insist on a referral to a speialist

The advice above about joining the online HCM group is truly invaluable. Most people who participate in these specific-condition groups very quickly realize that the group's collective knowledge and experience far surpasses that of their individual Vets - but, cannot replace a competent "feline Veterinarian".
post #12 of 13
I have talked to Uc Davis before.
I am not sure what vet schools are near you.
Thanks for caring about Stormy.
Sorry you got a vet that did not know alot.
I was once told Coco had lung cancer and a bad heart by a bad vet.
I only went there once and they sent me to 2nd opinion vet which is the one i go to now.
Coco had severe asthma with uri.
I went to the bad vet because I had no idea they were bad and coco was very sick at the time.
The vet I go to now would see her the next day.
The bad vet was shut down and I filed a compliant.
I wish you lived out here because I know my vet or Uc Davis could help.
post #13 of 13
I would recommend a vet chool if one is available. My Persil was almost put to sleep when her diaphragmatic hernia was discovered, and if I had not found a wonderful surgeon at the local vet school, she would not be with me today, four years later. As well as good technology they have the buzz of lots of specialists who can offer ideas.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › a difficult decision