What Would You Do?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to put aside enough money for Maverick's biopsy surgery after paying all the bills that absolutely have to be paid right now, so I called the vet to set up the surgery date. She proceeds to tell me that before they do the surgery, they need to take some of Mav's blood to see if it coagulates properly. That's fine, and I certainly can understand that they need to take that precaution, but it leaves me in a bind b/c I'm now gonna have to use the money I had set aside for the surgery to use to have the blood test done. I explained the situation to the vet regarding the finances, and she suggested keeping Mav on the meds for now, and taking another blood test in a few weeks to see if whether or not the meds are helping - in which case, surgery may not be necessary.

I really don't know what I should so.
I really don't want to put Maverick through anymore than I really have to: if he's doing fine with taking the meds and all, that would be wonderful, and would save him a lot of stress, too. His age is a factor, and I have to take that into consideration. I also don't want to put him through any surgeries if it isn't necessary. But on the other hand, if he has a tumor or something, timing could be everything and I wouldn't want to postpone anything b/c it could make a difference in treating him. My head is swimming wondering which way I should handle this..

I know that no one can make up my mind for me, but any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it turns out that Maverick didn't end up going in for the blood test b/c the lady vet wasn't in today, and the other vet had emergency surgeries to handle. I asked the office receptionist if she could have one of the vets call me tomorrow, so I can discuss the situation further with her/him. I think I'm gonna see how it goes with the med treatment for now, b/c I don't want to put Mav through anymore than necessary. But if it needs to be done, I'll do what's best for him. I'll see what the vet recommends before proceeding...

Thanks for your vibes & well wishes, y'all.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good idea to talk to the vets.

I am understanding that maverick is showing signs of liver problems. Do you have an exact diagnosis or what tests specifically are out.

Why was he leaking urine? was that determined?

Liver biopsy have a risk of bleeding so they really want to know if Mavericks clotting factors are good. Also, the liver creates some of the clotting factors and if the liver is ailing the clotting factor might also be in trouble.

Are they doing the biopsy to try and differentiate between two possible liver problems? Or are they going to do several biopsies to determine if he has a triaditis type syndrome?

I feel so bad for you, because you have three critical care kitts right now. It is so overwhelming just trying to find out what is wrong, just so we can actually begin treating... Lots of for getting good answers when you talk to the vet.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

I am understanding that maverick is showing signs of liver problems. Do you have an exact diagnosis or what tests specifically are out.
They won't know for sure exactly what's wrong with Mav's liver till further testing is done - either by doing a biopsy of the liver, or an ultrasound.

Why was he leaking urine? was that determined?
The vet couldn't find any reason. She said it was probably due to stress. Nothing bad showed up in the urinalysis, and she also did the blood panel and performed a thorough exam on him. Everything looked really good, except for the liver thing. He hasn't leaked any urine since the exam.

Liver biopsy have a risk of bleeding so they really want to know if Mavericks clotting factors are good. Also, the liver creates some of the clotting factors and if the liver is ailing the clotting factor might also be in trouble.
I realize it's necessary for them to take the precautions, and I agree 100% with it.

Are they doing the biopsy to try and differentiate between two possible liver problems? Or are they going to do several biopsies to determine if he has a triaditis type syndrome?
I don't know if it's just one or more biopsies. I was under the assumption that it was going to be just one.
The vet didn't say one way or the other. I'll have to ask her/him and find out.

I feel so bad for you, because you have three critical care kitts right now. It is so overwhelming just trying to find out what is wrong, just so we can actually begin treating... Lots of for getting good answers when you talk to the vet.
Thank you so much for your concern & well wishes.
It means a lot to me.
It certainly had been a difficult year kitty-wise. But others have it a lot worse. And I've been very blessed as far as my kitties' health is concerned, so I really can't complain. Things have only gotten tough in the past year or so..

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you're balancing what you know against what you don't know; and when you don't know what the probabilities are of the "don't know" happening, you should give the weight of your decision-making to the "know"

Translation: you know he's doing OK now on the meds. You don't know anything about a tumor. Rushing into surgery without knowing more would be weighting your decision toward the "don't know." Whereas continuing on the meds and waiting a couple weeks is weighting your decision toward the "know."

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

When you're balancing what you know against what you don't know; and when you don't know what the probabilities are of the "don't know" happening, you should give the weight of your decision-making to the "know"

Translation: you know he's doing OK now on the meds. You don't know anything about a tumor. Rushing into surgery without knowing more would be weighting your decision toward the "don't know." Whereas continuing on the meds and waiting a couple weeks is weighting your decision toward the "know."
So what you're basically saying, Coaster, is that I shouldn't mess around with something that's working?

Maverick's only been on the antibiotic, Metronidazole, & Prednisolone for a little over two weeks now, and he just started the Denamarin two days ago. So it's too soon to tell just yet.

I appreciate your input.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya, not messing around with something that's working is usually a pretty good idea. At least, in my life, most of the trouble I've gotten into has been when I've ignored that advice.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Ya, not messing around with something that's working is usually a pretty good idea. At least, in my life, most of the trouble I've gotten into has been when I've ignored that advice.
I certainly know that feeling all too well!