I got a very rude post in another group over Cleopatra

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is my first pure bred cat I ever had.
Should I just ignore hr post?
The person wrote why am I not saving a cat and why is she coming to the airport.
This is part of her post.
I have saved so many ferals and cats that would have gone to the pound before.
My Oreo is not even normal.
She has fcks and her front paws come out of the socket.

I am big on saving animals from shelters. Cheaper that way too. I cannot fathom buying from a breeder when I know there are animals all over the world starving and being put to sleep who could use a good home.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are people here that feel that passionate about it, too, so you are just going to have to stand firm in your decision to support a specific breed and ignore those that want to fault you for deciding something they wouldnt do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
The pound in Sac is shut down right now also because the cats have distemper there.
At least 50 have been pts.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I read about that. That is just devastating. Hopefully they can get things under control before there are more tragedies.

Thats not a usual thing, though, although it can happen at shelters. Its ok to support both, breeders and shelters.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a dog at the pound and she lived 15 years.
I do not know why a German Shorthair pure bred was in the pound to begin with.
We adopted her at 1.5 years old.
I stay away from the pound because if I go there something will come back with me.
When you see all the pets for adoption it is hard to pick.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel like you do Mews2much, very insulted when you are confronted by persons who do not believe in what you are doing is right. If breeders were doing something to violate cats in general, they wouldn't be allowed to breed. As I understand it all, breeders breed for the love of a particular breed and for the health and prosperity and the future of the breed. Sphynx in particular is a fairly new breed of cat and breeders are trying to solidify their foundation of good health and genetics.

Us persons who purchase a cat from a breeder usually follow the same opinion..they love the breed. Take it with a grain of salt, there are always going to be opinions that rub us the wrong way, but don't doubt the reason you're purchasing your Sphynx... it's a breed of cat you love and want to share your life with

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo needed a good home too.

If you are going to buy, I support buying from reputable breeders only -like you did, not going to the paper or BYB's or pet shops, but supporting a bigger cause. The way I see it those breeders are maintaining the breed for everyone to enjoy for this generation and beyond, keeping the cats healthy, well tempered, good attitude, and all of that. If not for those breeders, who better the breed, we wouldn't have purebred that are as they are suppose to be. I am thankful some put their lives into bettering their chosen breeds. It is hard work, if you do it the right way, and I respect that.
You don't have to defend your decision for buying a purebred kitten from such a great breeder. She is so gorgeous btw

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't feel bad at all and ignore the poster's comments. I sometimes get that. It doesn't bother me as I've owned mixed breed and purebred cats.

They want you to feel "guilty"...and maybe its a touch of jealousy cause they probably would love to own a purebred but don't have the money for it - so they try and make you feel bad about buying from a breeder.

I have one mixed, one purbred and another purebred on the way - who cares? I feel as long as you have been involved in both (rescue), it should not matter if you choose now to get yourself a purebred cat and maybe try showing for the fun of it.

I NEVER put down a person for buying from a breeder - as long as its not a backyard breeder but its an ethical breeder and the reason they want the cat in the first place.

One other comment - for those with mild allergies...........if it were not for dedicated breeders of the Rexes (Cornish and Devon) those cat lovers would never have the chance to even own any kind of cat!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very Allergic and the dr tried to amke me get rid of my cats over 20 years ago and I refused.
I even took allergy shots three times a week.
Now I get hives if I get clawed but do not get anything else.
My dad is allergic to cats also and has 2 cats.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am very Allergic and the dr tried to amke me get rid of my cats over 20 years ago and I refused.
I even took allergy shots three times a week.
Now I get hives if I get clawed but do not get anything else.
My dad is allergic to cats also and has 2 cats.
I admire your dedication
My sis had to do allergy shots till she moved to TN (from the CA coast, another humid environment). Her new allergist is a cat lover & recommended that she replace all her carpeting with wood plus have the AC thoroughly cleaned & new, ultra filters installed & her allergies abated significantly!! She was able to give up the shots & her daughter's asthma rarely acts up.
Back to the op, you show great dignity in ignoring the rude post. It isn't worth your time to explain yourself. Maybe at a later date, you can explain how you DO indeed rescue cats. You've earned the right to have your Sphynx

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not take shots anymore but since we moved here my allergies are worse.
I have asthma also and so does my cat.
I used to live by the cost before we moved here three years ago.
I think all dr's say to get rid of the pets first.
We get alot of pollen from the crops here.
My cat with fcks is sitting right here purring.
I have no idea how she will react to the sphynx.
She is my youngest cat.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely don't feel bad. This is a personal choice for you and no one has the right to challenge that. Get what you want and can afford.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dont reply to her & dont feel bad for buying a purebred.

IMO it doesnt matter where you get your cat from, ALL cats need loving homes. And if this woman is a REAL cat lover, that is how she would think. Besides, you said you've rescued cats before, so why not get a purebred if you have the money and if its what you want?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

If you are going to buy, I support buying from reputable breeders only -like you did, not going to the paper or BYB's or pet shops
Purebred cats are not the reason shelters are full of moggies either.

All my current cats are purebreds, as are the 2 I'm waiting on. Doesn't bother me what anyone might think about my decisions.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, it is not anyone's business where you get your cat. What is important is giving the chosen cat a good loving home. I have had the same problems because I have purebred cats, one lady at work has never forgiven me and no longer speaks to me
I have taken in plenty of homeless cats in the past but my first love is my Persians.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like someone has swallowed a load of animal rights propraganda and has no concept of the pet market. The whole "one bred is another dead" mentality is a load of elephant dung.

You were not looking for any cat, you wanted a Sphynx, and you waited a very, very long time for her. It's not correct to say that taking in Cleopatra prevented a shelter kitty from finding a home. Taking in Cleopratra only prevented other Sphynx kitties from finding homes, because you were not looking for anything other than a Sphynx!

As for shelter kitties being "cheaper". . . well, I could say a lot, but think of it in these terms. You KNOW that Cleopatra has come from a home where she has been well cared for and well socialized. You also know her background, because generations of Sphynx have been recorded before her. When you take in a shelter kitty, it is a roll of the dice. While it might seem like you are getting a "better deal" the $$$$ you might pay in vet fees to get the cat healthy and the lifelong costs of behavioral problems from poor socialization can quickly add up to more than the initial cost of a pedigreed cat. I am speaking as someone who has been there. In fact, the breeders I work with see complaints about price as a huge red flag. If someone has trouble paying the kitten price, what will happen to the cat if something REALLY terrible happens?