I got Mellie to sleep with me!!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats sleep in their enclosed and heated bed boxes that I made for them several years ago. Rocket isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t allowed upstairs because of his ongoing “problem†and Twinkie likes to sleep with Rocket, so both boys sleep in a single cat bed in the basement, keeping each other warm. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been concerned about Mellie, because with the weather getting colder, and me turning the thermostat way down at night, it gets darn cold in the house.

The caption above isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t exactly accurate; sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s been sleeping with me for some time, but always on TOP of the bed. She started out preferring to sleep near the foot of the bed, then it was in the middle, then at the top next to my pillow. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s all fine when it doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get down to 56 degrees. So Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been trying to get her to sleep under the covers, where itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s nice and toasty warm (kept warm by that big human body under there.)

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been working on this for a couple weeks. Every time I climbed into bed at night, I lifted up the covers at my side to form a sort of a “cave†and tried to coax her into it. The first few nights she looked at me like I was nuts. “Me, go in there? No way.†She has never much liked being confined inside something, or having something laying on top of her. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve tried putting blankets on her while she was napping, but that always wakes her up and she shakes them off.

After several nights of “No way†she started at least looking in there, scoping it out. Then there came several nights of copious head-butting of the blankets where I was holding them up. Then she started sticking her head in there. And going further and further in each night, just for a quick moment. Several nights ago she went all the way in, but immediately turned around and went out. Two or three nights ago, she let me drape the top sheet partially over her while she curled up next to my pillow.

Last night…..ah, last night!! Before bedtime it seemed like she was eager for me to pull the covers back. At bedtime I went through the usual ritual and she went in and out, like the last few nights, but stopping for a little longer to sniff around. In the middle of the night, I woke up, and just for the heck of it, I opened up the bed coverings, and while half asleep held them up. She went in and stayed in!! I gently lowered the covers and went back to sleep. I woke up again a couple times and there she was each time, sleeping next to me. And not sleeping curled up like a cat, but sleeping stretched out, like a person, with her body under the covers and her head sticking out. It was such a picture. Imagine someone in the bed next to you, except you roll over to look and in the dark you see the darker outline of a head topped by a catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ears. Sweet!!

What a cat will do to stay warm.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tim, it feels wonderful doesn't it? Bijou has always slept this way with me. I posted a picture in the thread "Sleeping Kitties".

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww!!! That is just the sweetest story! You wanted a little furry bed buddy, too!

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh! There isn't much better than a soft, warm furry body stretched out next to you!
My Toby does this, but he usually waits until about 2-3 in the morning to climb under. I never had to coax him and it's soooo nice to wake up and have him there. None of the others want under the covers.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be a sign that you're keeping the house a bit too chilly.

I have no idea how people handle this. I have the thermostat set to 74F right now and have a blanket around me. I'm still cold. I simply do not make enough heat to stay warm (my body temp is 97.5 if I'm lucky) so I also use an electric blanket at night. The cats love that.
If I forget and leave it on after I get out of bed I'll find them both curled up over it. Both will crawl under if I hold the blankets back, though Sho doesn't stay for long. He's not a cat that likes to be in or under things.

And as to why it feels cold at 74F. I don't know. Our insulation is fairly good, though it needs to be touched up on the East side of the attic.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, that's so wonderful!

Harley finally climbed up in bed with me last night for the first time. All I could hear was her purring like crazy in the dark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Bijou has always slept this way with me. I posted a picture in the thread "Sleeping Kitties".
Linda, can you post a link, please? I wanted to look at it but the only thread by that name the search function turned up must have been another one with the same name.....you weren't in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It may be a sign that you're keeping the house a bit too chilly. ....And as to why it feels cold at 74F. I don't know. Our insulation is fairly good, though it needs to be touched up on the East side of the attic.
No doubt!! Though you if saw my utility bill, you'd understand. My house is pretty well-insulated. If I turn the thermostat down that far the furnace doesn't run all night unless the outside temp goes below zero. They just don't build houses for cold in the south and west the way they do up here. The coldest night I ever spent in my life was in a motel in Alabama.