rehoming cat is a childs punishment

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats totally insane......
I would think of a different way to punish the son than to take his cat away!!

http://wichita.craigslist.org/pet/942467752.html

I am going to email them and see what they say....maybe its that the son is in trouble(ie jail) and thats why? I am very curious.....

Ok now I am fuming!!!!! I emailed them(nicely) and just ask if the son was having to get rid of the cat for punishment and look what they emailed back!!

"Does it matter? I can't get him to go 3 days without lying to me (and he is MORE than old enough to know the difference). His father and I have taken away TV, his video games, most other privileges. We told him if he kept it up we would find a new home for his cat. He really thinks we are calling his bluff, but the cat is finding a new home. If no one wants the cat, then he will have to go with me to take him to the pound and explain that he can't keep an animal because he cannot be trusted to be responsible for his things and be honest."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That is terrible! They're punishing the cat for something their son has done
Exactly!! and the post reads "come get him tonight"

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure you asked them why they are punishing the cat for something the boy did or did not do. Sending the cat to the pound could very well be a death sentence for the animal.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to look at this from a different perspective, if the boy cannot be trusted to take care of the cat, then maybe it is best for the cat to have a better home. Would you rather his parents let him keep the cat and neglect it until it suffers? If the parents let the boy keep the cat and he does not learn the consequences of not caring for it, then what future impact would that have?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Thats totally insane......
I would think of a different way to punish the son than to take his cat away!!

http://wichita.craigslist.org/pet/942467752.html

I am going to email them and see what they say....maybe its that the son is in trouble(ie jail) and thats why? I am very curious.....

Ok now I am fuming!!!!! I emailed them(nicely) and just ask if the son was having to get rid of the cat for punishment and look what they emailed back!!

"Does it matter? I can't get him to go 3 days without lying to me (and he is MORE than old enough to know the difference). His father and I have taken away TV, his video games, most other privileges. We told him if he kept it up we would find a new home for his cat. He really thinks we are calling his bluff, but the cat is finding a new home. If no one wants the cat, then he will have to go with me to take him to the pound and explain that he can't keep an animal because he cannot be trusted to be responsible for his things and be honest."
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Just to look at this from a different perspective, if the boy cannot be trusted to take care of the cat, then maybe it is best for the cat to have a better home. Would you rather his parents let him keep the cat and neglect it until it suffers? If the parents let the boy keep the cat and he does not learn the consequences of not caring for it, then what future impact would that have?
The boy is being punished for lying not neglecting the cat

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If no one wants the cat, then he will have to go with me to take him to the pound and explain that he can't keep an animal because he cannot be trusted to be responsible for his things and be honest."
I thought that the cat might be included in the phrase "cannot be trusted to be responsible for his things"

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I think we have a very angry Mom. Who thinks by hurting her child. she will make him behave. By making him give away his cat, she is emotionally trying to blackmail him. Not only is is unfair to the cat, It is an unreasonble punishment for her son.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I thought that the cat might be included in the phrase "cannot be trusted to be responsible for his things"
I have to agree. I mean honestly does this seem like a good home for a cat anyways. If the child is that big of a problem child then most likely the cat is not getting the loving home it deserves? So instead of letting it stay in a home that may not be taking care of it, give it a second chance to find a home with a family including kids that will be very grateful to have a pet and not just think of it as another possession that can be taken away as a form of punishment.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise

WHAT!?!?!?!? That is so disgusting!!! That poor creature is going to have to totally adapt to a new place with new people, possibly new pets and maybe not even be rehomed into a loving family.

The parents should be sued for neglect, i truly can't stand people like that.

Whatever the son has done does not justify re-homing the cat. Give the kid councelling, send him to juvi, adopt the KID out, but leave the cat alone!

Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I have to agree. I mean honestly does this seem like a good home for a cat anyways. If the child is that big of a problem child then most likely the cat is not getting the loving home it deserves? So instead of letting it stay in a home that may not be taking care of it, give it a second chance to find a home with a family including kids that will be very grateful to have a pet and not just think of it as another possession that can be taken away as a form of punishment.
Regardless of what alot of people might think or say, the parents and other household members would also look after any childs animal even if they say it is the 'kids responsibility'. Wouldn't you, if you are a parent, help look after the cat anyway?

Charlie is my cat, and i've had him since i was 15, but only into late teens and adulthood did i really do everything for him myself, before that giving any medication, changing litter etc would've been done by my mother because i was probably a typical teen. Not neglecting my animal mind you.

Am i wrong in thinking a parent can't trust their child to look after an animal 100%? Think about the kid being asleep, at school at friends house, playing outside. Someone has to be doing the pet parenting in some of those hours..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I emailed her back, and asked her a few things about the cat and she emailed me back:

"Not trying to be snotty... just very frustrated. Being a mean parent doesn't ever make my day. AND, I'm just getting flooded with horrible hateful emails from people telling me I shouldn't have pets OR kids.

No, there is no rehome fee. He is neutered, microchipped and currently a house cat. Decent with dogs, good with other cats. He came from the Humane Society a couple of years ago, so he is probably about 3 or 4 now. I really don't want to take him back there because they ARE a kill shelter."

So god only knows where hes gonna end up!
Apparently I am not the only one upset about this, since she is saying shes receiving tons of haeful emails!! *DUH*!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's deleted the listing, now...

I hate when parents punish kids by taking things away...I know for my brother and I, that never really did anything; we just tried to be more creative so things DIDN'T get taken away!

The thing that I would do is to have the kid (and it doesn't matter the age, once they can think, and talk), come up with their own consequence...of course we would help 'shape' some of it. Like if they said wash dishes (if it's not already a chore), I would say, well...it might take more than one time; and we haggle until we would come up with something fair. Atleast if the child is coming up with their own consequence, and you can help them see it through, they ARE actually thinking about their actions. Time outs don't work, because what kid actually 'thinks about what they did' in that time out? And groundings don't really work, because kids just get bitter, or like with timeouts, don't think about it anyway... but making them come up with the consequences to serve the actions...hmmmm...

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's still there.

EDIT; wups it's only been a couple minutes

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's just sad people are like that. I wouldn't do that to either one of my boys.. I might take away other priviliges but the cat shouldn't suffer

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

She's deleted the listing, now...

I hate when parents punish kids by taking things away...I know for my brother and I, that never really did anything; we just tried to be more creative so things DIDN'T get taken away!

The thing that I would do is to have the kid (and it doesn't matter the age, once they can think, and talk), come up with their own consequence...of course we would help 'shape' some of it. Like if they said wash dishes (if it's not already a chore), I would say, well...it might take more than one time; and we haggle until we would come up with something fair. Atleast if the child is coming up with their own consequence, and you can help them see it through, they ARE actually thinking about their actions. Time outs don't work, because what kid actually 'thinks about what they did' in that time out? And groundings don't really work, because kids just get bitter, or like with timeouts, don't think about it anyway... but making them come up with the consequences to serve the actions...hmmmm...
When I adopted my son he came with many issues. The only thing that works with him to to take things away. It is harsh but it works, having said that dealing with many counselors and therapists. They all encourged me to get a pet for him to bond to. NOT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR. but because he needed, someone who loves them unconditionally , someone he could feel safe with and talk to. He has Gus. I can hear him talk to Gus when he's had a bad day. Gus sleeps on his bed. I have seen the good a pet can do. I can't imagine taking that away from him. This is so hard for me. A pet is not a possession it is a loved one.