OMG I've never been this sick!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy moly - I truly wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!

I've been all but out of commission since Friday. Couldn't even keep water down Saturday to Sunday. Went to the doctor yesterday and she said it's the nastiest bug out there, and since I have MS symptoms that double some of the bug symptoms (fatigue and achiness/pain) I have it worse than most. And even drinking Gatoraid, on the advice of my doctor, makes me nauseous.

I tried to go into work today and was told by my supervisors that if it's "highly contagious", which is what my doctor told me, that I shouldn't be at work since I still feel so bad. Kinda made me mad, though. One person told me "I can't afford to miss any work." Well, neither can I! But I did get the President's OK to bring some work home so I can do something. Don't know how much I'll be able to do - I came home and promptly slept for 4 hours.

Earl said he's never seen me this sick in our 13 years together, and he's right. This is miserable!

Can I get some vibes that I'm able to kick this thing soon? I really can't miss much more work, and I know they don't want me working from home.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you feel better soon! I have an intense fear of nausea and vomits, and am so sorry that you're having a hard time with the gatorade! Maybe some very bland crackers?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate gatorade, but by doctor's orders should be drinking 2-3 glasses a day...
Maybe you could try something like Crystal lite or any of the other drink mixes that have added electrolytes? A little tip that helps with some gatorade flavors - make sure its very cold, add ice too.

What meds are you on? If there's anything affecting your immune system, that could be why you're so sick.

And I have no idea what particular virus is going around. I currently have it, but it looks like I'll be able to kick it without it hitting my lungs hard. The worst of it for me is headache and nasal congestion (and of course a constantly runny nose).
If congestion is big problem you may be able to take Mucinex - they make one for nasal congestion now. Just double check that, if taking any meds, it will not interact. I remember this time last year that someone found out the hard way that Mucinex interacted with a med they were taking.

Other then that, rinse your sinuses, acetaminophen for headache/pain, and an NSAID (if possible) for nasal and chest inflammation. Hopefully you'll be over it soon and feeling better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

What did your doctor say that you had? Other than "a nasty bug".
She said it was a virus that's going around and spreading like wildfire; that it feels like the influenza flu, but it's just a virus so there isn't anything she can prescribe for it. Thankfully, I'm already on an anti-viral (Amantadine) for fatigue anyway, so hopefully that will help.

I've had a low level fever since Saturday at least, which begs the question...how do I know if it's this virus or the real flu?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I've had a low level fever since Saturday at least, which begs the question...how do I know if it's this virus or the real flu?
Specific symptoms, but those vary from person to person anyways. The only real way would probably be to have them take blood (or mucus since it's probably loaded with it right now) and identify it. As far as treatment, respiratory viruses and influenza do much the same thing so treatment isn't very different.
It probably wouldn't be cost or time effective to bother testing to identify the virus.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heidi, feel better soon.

Please don't let yourself get dehydrated. Keep drinking that Gatorade. They come in lots of flavors, now.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something has hit my family. You either have it coming out one end or the other.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi, I have it as well. It hit like a ton of bricks this morning. My body aches so bad that even taking a shower hurts when the water hits me. Stay down, keep hydrated try mixing orange juice and sprite half and half for the nausea. That has worked for me. Feel better soon-

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh, you poor thing! I'm going to echo the "don't get dehydrated" sentiment. Jess had something similar to this last year, and she got extremely dehydrated because she couldn't keep down even water. She ended up with an irregular heartbeat from it and had to get all kinds of tests. Even if it comes back up, keep drinking... some of it will get in there!

I hope you feel better soon!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate reading this Heidi. Thank God you have Earl there to take care of you. Sending so many vibes that you get over this real qucik

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flu is not a "vomit bug." It is a respiratory illness with head and body aches, sore throat, cough, congestion and very high fever. Some may vomit from the fever, etc, but nausea/vomiting are not symptoms of influenza.

You have a gastrointestinal virus. A BAD one, from the sounds of it. Hope you're better very very SOON.

Cally