New Here :)

misskittykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

We are new here. Oct 1. we (after several days) finally caught a beautiful calico kitten that had been hiding in our hose box she was very ferral and tested + for FIV the vet estimated she was around 6-8wks old so the test might be a false + but no shelter would take her so guess who ended up with Miss Kitty? LOL Yep we are suckers here.

I breed and show dogs so cats can't be too hard right? Well boy oh boy this one was really nasty when we first brought her into the house ... but in the last 2 months she has really warmed up to everyone here (but still hides when strangers come over) her manners are great (now that we got all the parasites out of her) she is very good about using the litter boxes and she now sleeps in my 13yr old sons bed everynight.

We are having some issues with her skin and coat ... bald patches some dry and some just look like the hair has just fallen out and the skin underneath is fine. The vet treated the patch on her foot with some cream (cannot remember the name and it is upstairs) but that improved. I am wondering if she could have food allergies? If one of my dogs had this going on that is what I would expect. Does anyone else have any ideas? She has been eating high quality food Wellness Kitty dry (free choice for now since she is small) and Wellness grain-free canned or Natural Balance canned... cat food is expensive! Thank goodness I don't raise those! LOL

I recently bought Solid Gold's Cat Food to try since it is lamb based and some Authority Lamb canned... i am going to try that and see if it will help but would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks so much
Jen

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! The skin problems could be anything. Has the vet done a culture to rule out any parasites or fungal problems like ringworm? If so, then I'd start looking at the food she's eating, but be warned! Do not change food suddenly in cats. This will cause other problems, mainly diarrhea, which is no fun for anyone.

Stephanie

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome. For the skin and coat issues you might try supplementing yours cat's food with a high quality fish oil.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Jen, for opening your heart and home to Miss Kitty.

I asked a Moderator to move your thread into our Health forum were you might receive more feedback, from our members, about your important health questions about Miss Kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskittykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I would appreciate any advice. She still has these small bald patches in front of her ears on both sides (about 10 o'clock and 2 on her head) ...the hair on her foot is almost 100% back but I still notice she washes and licks at her feet pretty often. Normal kitty thing maybe? It has been so long since I have had a kitten I cannot remember. Ask me something dog and that I could tell ya! lol

Jen

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As kittens become adults, the hair in front of their ears thins. It's perfectly normal. I'm not sure why it does that, I just know it does.

Stephanie

misskittykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

As kittens become adults, the hair in front of their ears thins. It's perfectly normal. I'm not sure why it does that, I just know it does.

Stephanie
Hmmm that is good to know I had no idea! lol I think I will feed her the new food I got her and when I take her into the vet in Jan. if its still there I will ask him or if it gets worse obviously I will take her in.

Thanks so much..... she is yelling at me right now because she wants her canned food for such a little cat she is a PIG! lol

Jen

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About the feet, this just came to me...she could be allergic to the litter you're using, since it just seems to be affecting her feet. Something to consider for you. Often, when dealing with cats (& dogs) it's a process of elimination when trying to figure things out.

Stephanie

misskittykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I'm pretty sure I ruled out litter as the problem... we thought of that right away but her foot cleared right up and all the hair has grown back and we are still using the same litter and no more foot problems. The bald patches might be normal although when I noticed it it seemed kind of odd but they are at the exact same spot on her head on each side right in front of the ear. She is getting high quality fish oil as do my doggies and her coat is shiney eveywhere just thin in those 2 spots.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions

Jen & Miss Kitty