Topical Flea Treatment - Irritation, Hair Loss?

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help! I bought some (can I say the name?) ProMeris from my vet. I put it on the foster kitten and on Nova. The foster kitten seems fine so far, but Nova's skin is really irritated and fur coverage looks thin in the areas where it was applied. I feel so bad for putting her through this.

Help please, someone tell me what I can do to alleviate her a bit. I will call the vet in the morning. I've sprayed the area with water and tried to wipe away as much as possible, but I don't know what else to do.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read one account of a similar situation in which the owner used several applications of Ivory liquid soap - apply/rinse off several times.

If, somehow, I found myself in your situation unable to get Vet treatment immediately, I would probably try that. My greatest concern would be to ensure that the cat did not ingest any of the chemical

And, knowing that "sister/brother" cats will groom each other, I would separate the cats until the Vet appointment....and, whether/not the other cat were showing symptoms, I would have the Vet "remove" any residue from cat #2.

These preparations in general are known to cause problems and, of all of them. the most basic of research will reveal that this one is extremely controversial.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats will react to different flea meds - I have one dog who reacts to every topical flea preventative I've tried.

Sending lots of your way!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please consult the ER vet ....

I have heard of other issues with promeris

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Lucky reacted that way with Advantage... She got thick scabs on her shin, with hair loss on the application sites - it took one month to clear; I have since changed the medication to Revolution, and she did not have any reaction to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick update...

I doused the area with water and dabbed off as much of the flea stuff as possible. She didn't lick any of it up. I put it just above her shoulder blades where she couldn't reach! (Phew!) I think it felt itchy/burny because she was trying to scratch the area. I noticed when she scratched that clumps of fur would come off, and the skin was quite red.

After watering her a bit, the redness faded, she stopped scratching, and clumps of fur were no longer falling out. I watched her a long while to make sure that she didn't have other symptoms (or I would have taken her to emergency, we're lucky enough to live only a mile or two away). By morning, she seemed to be OK. I'm so thankful that nothing worse happened to her.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

A quick update...By morning, she seemed to be OK. I'm so thankful that nothing worse happened to her.
If it were me, I'd be back at the clinic as soon as I could get there. I'd want both cats seen, any treatment the Vet could/would provide and a refund for what I had purchased. That way, I'd ensure (?) that both cats were OK, the event was documented in both cats' files and the Vet had been made aware that the stuff he's/she's flogging isn't necessarily safe.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

If it were me, I'd be back at the clinic as soon as I could get there. I'd want both cats seen, any treatment the Vet could/would provide and a refund for what I had purchased. That way, I'd ensure (?) that both cats were OK, the event was documented in both cats' files and the Vet had been made aware that the stuff he's/she's flogging isn't necessarily safe.
I have to agree ... the vet needs to know and the files updated ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Originally Posted by sharky

I have to agree ... the vet needs to know and the files updated ...
I let them know when I went to pick up the kitten's medicine. They said they had other customer complaints of that brand.
Last year, they were selling Frontline and Nova didn't have any problems with that.