Christmas is at my house this year!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm off this Christmas and my brother is still living in a "hotel" and won't be able to move back to his house until probably February.

So I told him that I'll have Christmas at my house this year. So I guess I better put up a tree of some sort.
A girl at work showed me how to make a tree out of coat hangers. They're so pretty. She went and "borrowed" some hangers from the locker room and I bought the rest of the stuff I need so she's going to help me make one on Wednesday. I'll take a picture of it when I'm done.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A girl at work showed me how to make a tree out of coat hangers.
I've made those before; they really are cute, aren't they, and just the right size if you don't have much room.
How many people will you have over for Christmas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I've made those before; they really are cute, aren't they, and just the right size if you don't have much room.
How many people will you have over for Christmas?
My brother, his SO, probably my 2 nephews, and maybe one of their girl friends. So not a big gathering, but big enough for my one bedroom apartment. I'll have to have someone go to my storage room in the basement and get 2 more chairs. Thank heaven's I'm one of those that dumpster dives!
I saw someone throw out 2 chairs exactly like the ones I have.

I'm not cooking a turkey because my oven isn't big enough (too narrow and too long. I'd never be able to get it out without burning myself) I'll do a large chicken and a bunch of side dishes like cabbage rolls, meatballs, salads, potatoes, a few choices of veggies, buns, gravy. And I'll have munchies and something for dessert.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds so nice. Holidays in my family are so big & noisy---sometimes I yearn for a quiet, simple little gathering.
Happy Holidays!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dinner sounds yummy! I've never seen a coat-hanger tree; I'm curious. We're having Christmas at my mother's this year for the first time ever. She and my dad recently split after 30-odd years together, and my grandmother moved in. My mother insisted "
Christmas," but my grandma is insisting we have it there. I think it's good for her... though the house is small, so she's having some of the same issues you are with space!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm off this Christmas and my brother is still living in a "hotel" and won't be able to move back to his house until probably February.
Isn't you brother the one that had a house fire? If not, ignore this part...if so (and I could be getting people confused), what's the hold up??

Those trees are adorable! Is it just tinsle and lights wrapped around coat hangers? I'm going to have to try that. It's always nice (and stressful) to have Christmas at your own house, but the stress is worth it. The menu sounds yummy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Isn't you brother the one that had a house fire? If not, ignore this part...if so (and I could be getting people confused), what's the hold up??
Yep. That's him. They still aren't back in the house. The insurance company is really trying to stick it to him. They are threatening to move them back into the house before it's even finished and without a kitchen, which will be finished at some point.

They are also refusing to replace some of the large ticket things such as:

1. His large screen TV: $4,000
2. Treadmill $3,000
3. Computer Tower $3,000
4. His girl friends fur coat.
Plus other items.

But get this.... The DVD player that was on top of the TV is being thrown out and replaced. The DVD player cost under $100.00. The monitor and mouse for the computer are being thrown out, but the tower which was next to them isn't. Cost of the monitor and mouse, under $150.00. The fur coat is not being thrown out, but all of the coats that were on either side of it are.

My brother is getting a lawyer. The treadmill was 6 weeks old at the time of the fire and had a 10 year warranty. The fire voided that warranty. The TV was 6 months old and like the treadmill now has a voided warranty.

My brother has loss prevention and the insurance company is supposed to restore him to his pre-fire state. If they give him the stuff back that no longer has warranties on them, and something breaks during the time he would have normally had a warranty, he's out of pocket money.

Those trees are adorable! Is it just tinsle and lights wrapped around coat hangers? I'm going to have to try that. It's always nice (and stressful) to have Christmas at your own house, but the stress is worth it. The menu sounds yummy!
Here are some links that show how to make the trees:

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/christm...mas-tree.shtml

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/6148_...pyramid-shaped