Abscess care

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rushed my poor kitty to the vet this morning because it was apparent that she was in a great deal of pain. After some nice sedation, the vet discovered that she had an infection in her anal glands that had abscessed (no wonder she hurt...poor thing).

Anyway, they shaved the area, drained the abscess, and gave her an antibiotic injection (Convenia). They also sent me home with some pain meds (syringes containing Buprenex). I didn't realize she had a shaved area with a small hole where the abscess was until after I got her home. Any ideas on how to care for this area? She won't let me touch it right now (she's been sleeping all day and she's cranky), but it's not covered and I don't want any bacteria to get in there (granted, she is on the Convenia).

Has anyone gone through this before? Any advice on cleaning it or caring for the area?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeko had one about 6 years ago.
She had somemed that i had to put on it which made her scream but it worked.
She also had clavamox.
When it popped there was a hole about nickel size.
It will heal and be ok.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my old CRF kitty had an abscessed (then surgically drained) anal gland, she came home with a cloth/string-like drain in it, that I had to keep moist and "unstuck" in the hole so that things would actually drain. But regardless, they sold me a small bottle of pink chlorhexadine and I was to put just a couple of drops in a small bowl of warm water, mix around, then put a clean wash cloth in, wring out fairly well and then just apply as a 'compress' to the area 2-3 times a day. The warmth, I'm sure, was comforting.

You should really call up you clinic tomorrow and ask them; they should have sent you home with some kind of instructions, even if it was only to tell you that there's nothing to do (except to watch for signs of infection, increased redness, pus, swelling, etc).

I'd definitely leave her be today.

Just keep an eye over the next couple of days or so, to ensure she's pooping. She might find doing that uncomfortable and could strain a little bit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably call the clinic tomorrow and ask, just to be sure. The vet tech did tell me just before I left that I could put hydrogen peroxide on it, but I know from working in a wound care clinic (human wound care) and taking microbiology, that you're NOT supposed to put hydrogen peroxide on wounds because it not only eats away bacteria, but it also harms normal healthy tissue. I didn't feel like arguing with her so I just kinda nodded my head.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant believe a vet tech would tell you that. Imagine all the other people who dont know better and listen to her. I would mentione it to the vet.

I hope your baby feels better soon.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isadora44

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably call the clinic tomorrow and ask, just to be sure. The vet tech did tell me just before I left that I could put hydrogen peroxide on it, but I know from working in a wound care clinic (human wound care) and taking microbiology, that you're NOT supposed to put hydrogen peroxide on wounds because it not only eats away bacteria, but it also harms normal healthy tissue. I didn't feel like arguing with her so I just kinda nodded my head.
I agree - let your vet know this tech gave you bad advice.

Bijou had an abscess drained this summer and had a tube sewn in to keep the wound open. Cats need to heal from the inside out so that bacteria does not get trapped under a scab and make the wound fester and get worse. I do think you need to ask the vet if the hole is there intentionally in order to keep the wound open for healing from the inside out and if there is anything you need to do while it is healing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I agree - let your vet know this tech gave you bad advice.

Cats need to heal from the inside out so that bacteria does not get trapped under a scab and make the wound fester and get worse. I do think you need to ask the vet if the hole is there intentionally in order to keep the wound open for healing from the inside out and if there is anything you need to do while it is healing.
I talked to the office earlier this week and that's what they told me. I had a feeling, since that's the same way a human would heal, just wasn't sure. Her licking it was helping keep it open so it didn't scab over too quickly and trap an infection inside.

She's healing up nicely. The wound looks like it's starting to scab over now, she has pooped since the incident (I was worried since she was in obvious pain when she pooped on my bathroom floor the morning I took her to the vet), and she's back to scampering about, sleeping on our bed, chasing our other cat, and being a pest in general