rubberbands

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty loves playing with rubberbands. I don't give them to him..he just gets them off my desk when I'm not looking. Is it ok for him to play with them?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No he could swallow one and then need surgery because it could cause serious issues. That and hair bands, too. Not all cats will swallow but some will and you dont know if yours will until he does, so its better to be safe.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he happens to swallow one, it could get lodged in his digestive track causing severe health problems. My kittens had a fettish for swallowing string, so I now know to keep all stringy items out of their reach. I would hate for them to have to have surgery for something so silly as swallowing something they shouldn't have! I'd recommend putting those rubber bands in a box or drawer your kitty can't get into.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not ok.
My husband left some out one day and Coco ate them.
We had no idea until I thought her Asthma was out of control.
She coughed up 5 large rubber bands and threw up.
We were lucky they came up and she was ok.
You need to take them away from your cat before he needs a Er vet.
It can block the insides.

keeba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat used to search and search for rubber bands... she could smell them! We assumed they were all put away and not in her reach, but one day while doing the litter box I found a whole rubber band wrapped in the poop... not good at all! So now we are not even allowed to have rubber bands in the house!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubber Bands: bad, bad, bad! They love to play with them, they love to eat them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.....I knew they weren't good for him...I'm locking them up

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your cat ever does swallow something and they have trouble passing it to the extent that it is hanging out of their anus, never try and pull it out. It may be wrapped up in the intestines. It's worth a trip to the vet instead of potentially damaging the intestines.

bubby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Zoey loves playing with hair ties. She just carries them in her mouth and chases them like a bat out of hell. I've never had any issues with her.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

If your cat ever does swallow something and they have trouble passing it to the extent that it is hanging out of their anus, never try and pull it out. It may be wrapped up in the intestines. It's worth a trip to the vet instead of potentially damaging the intestines.
I know this is a very smart and true precaution but it made me giggle.

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has a facination with hair ties too, so I watched her play with it and she never tried to eat it so i let her go at it, those and plastic milk jug rings, she loves to swat at them then carry them all around the house and follow me with one in her mouth. She's weird but I bought her cat toys now, and she brings them in to her kittens and puts them beside them. SO CUTE!