Can't take the Howling anymore !

jeff c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
never thought i would say this but i am thinking about getting rid of our cat,
this cat howls non stop, it sounds like a cat in heat, This cat is a male that is 20 years old, can't get much sleep at nights, he is a very playful happy cat until the howls start every 2 or 3 hrs, any suggestions is appreciated

Thanks
Sleepless in western Pa

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought - is he medically okay? When was his last vet check and what is his overall health?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take him to a vet pronto and have a senior panel done on him quickly. At that age, he could be in pain or be in serious trouble. You would be hard-pressed to find anyone who would take a 20 year old cat.

Good luck-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeff c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
within the last 6 month's for a checkup, very healthy cat, it's like he lost his mind or got dementia for a cat if that's possible.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is highly possible. Please have a vet check him out, regardless of his last visit and the state of his health then.

Best of luck

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would certainly check with the vet again, just in case. I hope you decide to hang in there with him, wow, 20 years, you are so fortunate to have a pet live such a nice long life.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. He is an old cat. They need check ups every 6 months anyway. It is entirely possible that he has gotten dementia, or he is losing his hearing or eyesight. Could be something else entirely. Time for a blood panel and a good check over. Poor kitty.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bring him to the vet! There are physical changes in aged felines that can result in strange behaviors--especially with vocalization. This is probably "normal" for him, but your vet may have a solution for both of you.

My cat died at almost 20, but in the two years preceding, she woke me frequently with night yowling that my vet attributed to her senility (cats experience small strokes as their brains shrink in aging). I just put up with her behavior because 1) it was a part of her aging process that could not be controlled; 2) I knew I would not have her with me much longer.