Teaching how to drink from a fountain

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I got a fountain (Petmate Deluxe) yesterday, but Lucky seems to have no interest in it whatsoever.... She is not afraid of it, but she won't drink from it either. As I was afraid of her getting dehydrated, I decided to put back her usual water bowl next to the fountain, and she goes straight to it when she is thirsty. My question is: what is the best way to have her try the fountain? Is having the water bowl next to it going to defeat its purpose? Any technique to share? She hasn't tried it at all - maybe she doesn't realise it is water??

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
she may just need to get used to it. mine took to the Petmate Freshflows right off, but only Pixel drank from the Drinkwell for quite some time. Chip prefers the larger of the Freshflows... Pixel drinks from all of them. i did see Cable drink from the Drinkwell for the 1st time the other day [this is the 1st time i've seen any of them besides Pixel drink from it!] & i've had it for most of this year. until she's used to it, i think having the bowl as well is a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also: Should I have it on low, medium, or high setting? The fountain is pretty silent, so it doesn't startle me or her, but the low setting you can barely see the water moving... It is the Petmate FreshFlow Deluxe Medium, BTW -
Thanks!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have mine on the highest/fastest setting. don't know if that's what would be best for you, but my cats are ok w/it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby took to it right away. I put it out and she was there drinking. That was in April or May. Chynna on the other hand was completely freaked out by it and wouldn't go anywhere near it. However a few days ago I saw her drinking from it. I've since removed the regular bowl of water that I had out for her. Now she uses the fountain exclusively.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

Where is the fountain/bowl located in relation to the food dish?
food bowl next to the fountain, which is next to the regular water bowl... She is actually a good water drinker, but since I feed her dry food, I want her to drink as much as possible...

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try locating the water and food in separate locations. I wish I could give you a source on this but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

Try locating the water and food in separate locations. I wish I could give you a source on this but I can't think of it off the top of my head.
Do I still keep her regular water bowl next to it?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this will help but Riley always checks any water bowl/faucet/etc. with his paw first before he drinks out of it. Maybe if you dip her paw in it, she will lick the water off her paw and realize its to drink out of?

Also try dipping your finger in it, then hold to her lips for her to lick. Not sure if any of that will help, but at least she would know its water then. Good luck!