deworming question

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little kitten Jake has never been dewormed and is now 5 and a half weeks old. I am thinking about whether I should take him to be dewormed now or if I should wait until he is 8 weeks old when I will be taking him in for his first shots. His poop is now a perfect consistency and color, but I read all kittens are born with worms. I'm just wondering if it's possible to save some money because I don't want the vet to charge me twice within two weeks for an exam. They will charge me for an exam at the day of the shots as well...Anyway, I would appreciate it if someone can tell me whether I need to take him ASAP or if it can wait..
Thanks!!!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if it were me, I think I'd call the office and just explain that I'm a new meowmy, the kitten's situation, and ask what their advice is. I think most healthcare professionals are aware that budgets are tight, and will work with you to make sure you get needed care on a timely basis, without going overboard (assuming Jake's first check up goes A-ok!) After all, you're assuring them you don't want to go the over the counter route, and that you're planning on using their office as your vet.

If nothing else, you'll get a feel from them as to how they'll handle your questions in the future.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait and have the vet check him when you get first shots. Not ALL kittens are born with worms. If the mom is inside and never exposed to worms, then she will not pass them on to the kittens.

When I was breeding my rexes, the first few litters were tested - NONE of them ever had worms because mom was clean and had been her entire life. So I quit testing the kittens unless there was a reason to test (if I suspected it).

Ling was a barn cat - she was tested (twice) as mom was an outside cat - she was clean, so she doesn't have to get tested or treated.

My Ocicats don't go outside and are never exposed to any kind of worms - they haven't been tested and don't need to be.

Most times, with strays you do have to test to be sure and if they have them, then treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot, I will just wait. I really don't know much about his mom, she apparently got pregnant on accident so I don't think she is 100% an indoor cat, but there were never any fleas either. Hopefully she is mostly an indoor cat and hopefully she didn't pass anything on to Jake. Since he is going to be an all indoors and won't be exposed to any germs outside I hope I can assume that he will be fine for two more weeks without his mom's immunity and without shots...I mean I know 6 weeks is early for shots..

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I love my vets office...they only charge a office visit charge once per year! Every time after that you have to take them in you just get charged for any tests, meds, or whatever.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

That's why I love my vets office...they only charge a office visit charge once per year! Every time after that you have to take them in you just get charged for any tests, meds, or whatever.
WOW!!! I Wish!