So many litter boxes.....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will say that looks interesting///

I recently switched to 18 and 30 gallon totes for boxes ..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I will say that looks interesting///

I recently switched to 18 and 30 gallon totes for boxes ..
I did that a few years ago. You can buy Sterilite and Rubbermaid bins with high sides and leave the top off if your cat doesn't like enclosed boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really want anything quite as big as a rubbermade box and I prefer something they can walk into from the front.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep in mind some cats will not use a covered litterbox.

Another rubbermaid tub user here....you can cut down on the front of it so they can enter it that way & leave the lid off....

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I guess I hadn't thought of that. My current kitty uses a covered box just fine. I'll have to email Luna's breeder and ask what she is use to.
Thanks for the tip!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another rubbermaid user here. Mine wouldnt use a covered box, I tried.
With the large rubbermaids it also helps with those that splash litter out of the box, its not so bad with a larger box.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use Rubbermaids for litter boxes. It just got too expensive replacing $25 covered boxes. Cutting down the front of a Rubbermaid to make an entry is cheaper and easer.
Also one of my cats is a larger cat and even the extra large litter box wasn't comfortable for him.

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting, all 5 of you that have responded all use rubbermade boxes, lol!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

With the large rubbermaids it also helps with those that splash litter out of the box, its not so bad with a larger box.
Also helps with the ones who are "stand-n-pee-ers"....like my declawed Twitch. Molly also is a "stand-n-pee" girl....apparently she was raised like a boy!

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have that Iris covered box, but I do have one of these from the same manufacturer, Iris. It's nicely made and a quality product, except for the useless sifter:

I'm not currently using it. I switched to two Omega Roll n Clean covered boxes. Best thing since sliced bread. Just roll it over on its top, roll it back. All the clumps and stuff go in the pull out drawer for easy removal. All that's left behind is clean litter. Amazing product:

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use rubbermaid storage boxes. Except I use the "under the bed" sizes so they can just walk in and out.

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I heard back from Luna's breeder and she is currently using a covered litterbox just like my current kitty so I think we are going to try out the one I posted.
I've looked at the rolling ones....they always looked like they would be messy?? I'm a clutz so if it can be spilt I'll spill it, LOL!! So the litter doesn't spill out when you roll it?? I'm interested, maybe I'll try one of those sometime.....

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Darling Poodles

I've looked at the rolling ones....they always looked like they would be messy?? I'm a clutz so if it can be spilt I'll spill it, LOL!! So the litter doesn't spill out when you roll it?? I'm interested, maybe I'll try one of those sometime.....
No. Properly assembled, no litter comes out when you roll it. The cats drag a small amount out with them on their feet, just like with any other litter box, but that's it. I haven't had them kick litter out. The opening is pretty high off the ground, but I guess they could kick some out if they went at the right angle. Trust me, I would know. My cat insists that I keep one of the boxes in my kitchen. Arrggh.

A couple of videos:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R31TV82...cm_cr_rdp_perm

http://www.omegapaw.com/RAdemo.html

http://www.omegapaw.com/RAassembly.html

It is a wonderful product. Read the 600 customer reviews on Amazon from people (like me) who can't believe they are gushing over a cat box:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

I do believe that most of the negative reviews are from people who didn't assemble it correctly -- specifically getting the separating screen properly seated in its channel and groove. If its not in the channel, it won't properly direct the clumps to the drawer. If it's not in the groove (an easy mistake the first time you assemble it), the area that stores the clean litter when the box is rolled won't be properly sealed). Once you assemble it correctly the first time, it's easy.

The only caveat is that you really need the large size for most cats. It holds a lot of litter -- up to 25 pounds or so of Fresh Step clumping litter (three inches deep). Before I used my boxes, I took a magic marker and drew a 3 inch line around the inside back of the box so it's easy to see when the litter is getting low inside.

I have two of them for two cats. Unfortunately, they both use the same box and mostly ignore the one in the cellar. The heavy use box has to be rolled once a day. If the cats would distribute the load a little more evenly, you could go two days between rolling in a pinch.

The key is that scooping the thing is so easy that you'll actually do it every day. For the one in the kitchen, I roll it and carry the drawer with the clumps downstairs to my sealed bucket. Then, when needed, I put a few scoops of fresh litter in the empty drawer, carry it back upstairs, and dump it in the litter box before putting the drawer back.

I'm still trying to figure out how often to completely dump the boxes and change the litter. I've done it at a month and it seemed like it was a waste of perfectly good litter. I've let one go almost two months and it was fine when I changed it. So really, anything between one and two months on the total dump n' change schedule is probably OK. The litter stays really clean because you are rolling it every day and constantly replacing old litter with new.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the tidy cat breeze box which has sides on it and love it.
I previously used a standard covered box and then the Omega Paw, large size, roll box.
My cat was a previous feral and the rolling of the box scared her, so
I stopped with rolling and took the lid off.
It does work pretty slick though.
I did not care for the amount of cleaning that was required on this box,
since it had that divider piece.
However my breeze box has a grating
on bottom so you have to soak a bit on those to clean as well.
My cat had UTI issues and I think the lid was some cause of the troubles
and also " litter" in general. If your cat has had UTI's, I would say
do not use a covered box at all. I dont think I will ever use a covered box
again, but higher sides are fine.

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could use the Omega Paws box as an open box. Just use three or four of those big black office paper clips around the edge on the right to hold the grate firmly in its channel (the top normally clamps it).

Rock the box about a quarter way to the right and most of the clean litter will go thru the grate, leaving a very easy manual scooping situation in the main compartment on the left.

If I were leaving the cats for a couple days on vacation, I would actually take the tops off, fill both bottoms and both tops with litter to double the number of boxes the cats have to choose from.

So far, I've had no reason to clean the grate when dumping the box completely. I had one little piece of something stick in the grate; just nudged it with my scoop as I was emptying the box and that was that. As least on the large size, the bottom is slightly flexible, so if you've got a side-pee'er, you can give the bottom a good whack as you roll the box and anything stuck comes free in one big piece. One of my cats side-pees in exactly the same spot ever time, so I know about that!

Like with any box, it helps to keep a lot of litter in the Omega Paw box. I just added about 7 pounds to top up the one I rolled a few minutes ago. That's why the litter was fine after a month. You are basically changing the entire 25 pounds of litter over the course of the month, just from topping up.

Of course, there are cats who just won't adjust to a covered box. That's going to be the main reason not to try the Omega Paws.

carla1183

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use feline pine and the feline pine sifting box, love it!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rubber made box is an intresting idea. Maggie tends to shoot pee out the back of the box, between the box & the lid (I have no idea how, but she is talented. I should think about a storage box. Are they high enough to prevent that?

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can make your own cheaper with Rubbermaid bins, but here's what a $34 ready-made version from PetsMart looks like. I'd like to see the cat that can pee out of this box:

To those using these boxes, what is daily scooping like? Looks like it could be a back breaker to have to reach down in to scoop?