Trying to cut the budget

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am owned by 6 cats......5 are purebred Ragdolls and one is a mixed breed rescue. I am spending about $120 bucks a month on food for the fur bags. They eat 2 1/2 cases of Solid Gold canned tuna 6 oz cans and a 20 pound bag of dry Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care. Every cat is very happy and none are obese
I am trying to find a replacement for the Solid Gold tuna canned. I am paying like $36.00 for a case of the Solid Gold which is a good price. What else can I buy that is similar with real flaked tuna in a gravy with no by-products? I like the Nutro because of the Omega 3 and 6 for their coats which are outstanding. I was paying $30 for a 20 pound bag last summer and I bought the same 2 days ago and the same bag was $39.00 + tax......
I lost my job recently due to cutbacks......and need to save money where I can. Any and all suggestions are appreciated here

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It isn't SG tuna but, a seeming quality product at a seeming excellent price...have a look.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

It isn't SG tuna but, a seeming quality product at a seeming excellent price...have a look.
I appreciate this recommendation......... I have a Kroger 2 miles from my home. They may go for the mackerel canned mixed variety
My fur bunnies are used to the "fillet minion" of the tuna choices IMHO with the Solid Gold blended tuna........all other suggestions are still welcome here

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about tuna cans?? Sorry if this is a dumb recommendation; I am not an expert, but since you also feed Dry Nutro... The Tuna can on water would definitely be cheaper....

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

What about tuna cans?? Sorry if this is a dumb recommendation; I am not an expert, but since you also feed Dry Nutro... The Tuna can on water would definitely be cheaper....
people tuna isn't good for cats - it lacks Vitamin E, the lack of which can lead to steatitis.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

people tuna isn't good for cats - it lacks Vitamin E, the lack of which can lead to steatitis.
Thanks for the advice... Now I know!

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But.....but.....but.....if the food is tuna....and it was made for cats to consume.....I would guess that it would have the necessary nutrients in it
Tuna for humans would not be as good.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

But.....but.....but.....if the food is tuna....and it was made for cats to consume.....I would guess that it would have the necessary nutrients in it
Tuna for humans would not be as good.
Unfortunately, little known, but one of the foundations of feline nutrition, fish is not appropriate for cats....note: that's Vet advice there...

More here.

'Think my popularity with some cats has just plummeted....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Unfortunately, little known, but one of the foundations of feline nutrition, fish is not appropriate for cats....note: that's Vet advice there...

More here.

lol.. I think it did..

I do agree ... I give some fish but it is mostly salmon or herring based not tuna...

salmon poisoning only is from RAW fish as a FYI and it also can occur in dogs

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

More here.

Thanks for posting this.......my 5 Ragdolls now hate you for this
I have decided that it would be easier to cut the cats back to "1" 6 oz can of Solid Gold tuna per day instead of 2........they will not be delighted with that decision I am sure. One 6 oz can of food divided by 5 cats can't be that unhealthy. That would cut my budget about $41.00 per month on the canned. Of course the Nutro Complete care dry food will be consumed at a higher rate. That will cost me an additional $15.00 a month I figure
My mixed breed cat meows the most and he does not eat the canned food. The 5 full grown Ragdolls are quiet cats by nature.......so I may be able to pull it off without too much back talk from them.....

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you might compare Petsmart's housebrand, Authority, to any of your current foods. Also, if you're near a Trader Joe, you might check their tuna for cats if your babies absolutely demand some fish. I do Nutro wet and dry myself, and so far, so good.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I wonder if you might compare Petsmart's housebrand, Authority, to any of your current foods. Also, if you're near a Trader Joe, you might check their tuna for cats if your babies absolutely demand some fish. I do Nutro wet and dry myself, and so far, so good.
Actually.......I have a Trader Joes about 4 miles from me. I never been in one. Do they have good prices on canned cat foods? Maybe I will take a ride out there and check it out

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Trader Joe (Glen Ellyn, IL) has a little section devoted to dog and cat food, and also carries a kitty litter. They've got 4 types of canned cat food (the tuna for cats is one of them - only issue is you must have a can opener for the tuna) and a dry food. The prices seem awfully good (assuming your babies like it), and I think you may enjoy the people food as well. I find myself buying all my veggies as well as frozen fish, etc, there, and it's less expensive than my local chains (Jewel & Dominics).

Also, TJ is excellent for returns if you, or the kitties, just don't like something - just hang on to the receipt.

Good luck on the job front - I think so many of us are either there or worried about being in the same spot.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Solid Gold wet food is expensive

More affordable wet food options with decent or good ingredients:
- Natural Balance
- Chicken Soup
- Nutro Max
- Nutro Natural
- Authority
- Meow Mix

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss Trader Joes
!!! They have great quality food from all over the World for the best prices ever! They are also very environmentally conscious, and way better priced than the supermarkets... I can't wait to move back to LA and be able to shop there again! Great Idea on checking out their wet cat food

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing you can do.....I will take a can of SG blended tuna - mix half of it with another kind of canned & put the other half in the fridge. Then you can get that back out & use that again to blend with a different kind of canned for supper....if that made any sense. Split the SG can into 2 - use half in the morning mixed with another canned & half at night with another canned.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

One thing you can do.....I will take a can of SG blended tuna - mix half of it with another kind of canned & put the other half in the fridge. Then you can get that back out & use that again to blend with a different kind of canned for supper....if that made any sense. Split the SG can into 2 - use half in the morning mixed with another canned & half at night with another canned.
That is a good idea......I have went with the "delete" one can of the SG tuna cans in lie of going for the dry Nutro Complete care dry....
3 out of my 6 Ragdolls have been hiding.....or fighting (nothing bad) between them. They just need to adjust after being soooo damn spoiled for so long. I need to cut the budget and we all must make an adjustment. The good news is......I may of landed an $8.00 an hour job in Michigan. I am coming off of a $15.50 per hour job from 2 years ago........Grrrrrrr.....Work SUCKS in Michigan......I will prolly take it until something else comes along if ever. What do you think?