Been saving for 3+ years...

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And now it's time to spend it! Now that the house is visible, and is about 2 months from being finished, it's time to furnish it with the things we want

Of course, we waited for Black Friday sales before starting most of our shopping (other than stuff I bought earlier in the year using the gift cards from our wedding). Yesterday we got:

46" Samsung LCD 1080p HDTV for our bedroom (going to wall mount it, not on a swivel stand)
1000 watt Samsung home theater system
TV stand to go under our TV and hold the DVD player, as well as our 10 gal fish tank.
Wall mount for the TV
Whirlpool duet washer & dryer with two pedestals in the Diamond dust color

Then today we went to RoomStore and picked up our dining room set

Mind you, the stuff was cheaper yesterday
Though I did get an extra 10% off at RoomStore for paying myself instead of opening a credit line with them (which since I have the $$ for it straight out, I wouldnt have opened one anyway). It's been quite fun shopping for our house! Everyone thinks we're spending too much, but we've been saving for so long, and it's easy to save when you only have to pay car insurance and cell phone bills. We still need to get a Sleep Number bed, and save some $$ for the septic & well.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You saved so long, you deserve to get what you want for your new home. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Congratulations on nearly having your furrever home!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would have worried about the septic before getting a tv... Make sure that's put in correctly, it can be a real pain if you have problems - ie, flooded yard.

What about kitchen stuff? Dishes, silverware, pots and pans, little appliances -crock pot, food processor, etc? I suggest you get as much of that on sale as possible, too. Putting together all your kitchen supplies won't be cheap, especially if you like to cook and bake a lot of stuff from scratch.
You can get good sales on towels, too, if you look around. I'd also suggest you check out dollar stores. Dollar General (if you have them there) carry some name brand stuff now and can be a cheap way to get some basic things you may need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I think I would have worried about the septic before getting a tv... Make sure that's put in correctly, it can be a real pain if you have problems - ie, flooded yard.

What about kitchen stuff? Dishes, silverware, pots and pans, little appliances -crock pot, food processor, etc? I suggest you get as much of that on sale as possible, too. Putting together all your kitchen supplies won't be cheap, especially if you like to cook and bake a lot of stuff from scratch.
You can get good sales on towels, too, if you look around. I'd also suggest you check out dollar stores. Dollar General (if you have them there) carry some name brand stuff now and can be a cheap way to get some basic things you may need.
We had over $20,000 saved, and the septic and well combined are only going to be roughly $8,000. We've gotten a quote from a very reputable septic installer, as well as the people doing the well. Highly recommended by many people, and the in-laws had both of theirs serviced by those companies (they already were there when they bought the house). The TV was $1,000, and was definitely something we'd planned on getting for awhile. We currently have a 52" rear-projection which is big and bulky and would take up too much space so it'll be a living room TV. Rob still wants a little 19" for the kitchen counter
Him & my dad say I can watch the Food Network and cook at the same time.

As for kitchen stuff, we actually have TONS of it. We had gifts from our couples shower and wedding. Apparently some people didn't mark off when they bought something from the registry! Plus lots of kitchen stuff from family members. In our storage unit, we have about 6 sets of silverware, 3 sets of dishes, 2 sets of glasses, a T-FAL 12 piece pot and pan set, 2 crock pots, food processor, Food Saver, a bunch of Tupperware (his boss's wife sells it, and they hooked us up at our reception), 3 sets of cookie sheets, toaster oven, blender, two small George Foreman grills, 1 large GF grill, a deep fryer, wire fruit bowls, utensils out the ears, pizza baking sheet, oven mitts .... from the top of my head
Plus we will be having a house-warming party when its done (I get asked that daily by coworkers, people on our bowling league, family...) so we may get more stuff then too! They are already asking what else we want for the house! Hopefully we'll have enough space to put all of it.
We also have bathroom sets for both bathrooms.

His mom wanted to buy us towels for Christmas, but I told him to have her just give us a gift certificate to buy towels or something. That way we can match everything the way we want it, especially because 1. she's never been into our house yet, though it's not done, and 2. she doesn't know our decorating plans. I know she means well with it, but we both agreed we'd like to do the purchasing. I do plan on checking out Dollar General as well, there are a few around and seem to be a good place to get stuff cheaply. I've been to a few before, LONG before I ever thought I'd be building a house.

We are far from finished shopping for this house. Luckily it came with all the appliances in the kitchen (fridge, flat-top stove, oven, microwave, and dishwasher) so we don't have to buy any of that. It's also nice my mom, aunt, and grandma sent loads of kitchen things. Most of the stuff we bought so far is just stuff we want.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting things for a new house can be so much fun!
Sounds like you have been busy

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on doing so well at saving
And think of the wonderful benefit you are doing for the economy by doing your shopping now

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I cant wait until I get our sleep number bed. The bed we have now is terrible. Especially now that we have experienced the sleep number on our honeymoon (the hotel in FL we stayed in before the cruise had a sleep number in every room. Oh so wonderful!!!)

I forgot about our Dyson Ball DC25 Animal vacuum we ordered earlier in November. We just got it last night, and it is SO worth the $$!! It works great! Nero spent most of the time chasing the vacuum and the cord
The suction was so strong that when I vacuumed by the cat bowls, the food inside seemed to start lifting.

Today we pick up our dining room set
I have to go get the truck from the FIL's work, and then off to the storage unit with it. I'm debating on whether or not I want an "area rug" under it or not. There's already going to be carpeting in that area of the house. Soon it will be time for the little things like bathroom towels, wash cloths, step stools (I'm short and the cabinets are high
, and groceries once we're in it.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love house shopping, we have bought a few things for our house but its all in storage until we get a house! Wont be a while yet though!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's great that you saved for 3 years and are now getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor. It is SO rare for people to live like that now days. Me included. I could never be disciplined enough to save like that lol.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I love house shopping, we have bought a few things for our house but its all in storage until we get a house! Wont be a while yet though!
Oh all of ours is in storage too
We got the storage unit back in April when we got a tan leather living room set with 2 glass-top coffee tables from some people who won a "Live Free For A Year" contest and needed to get rid of some stuff. Then we got all the stuff from our wedding that had needed to go into storage too because we couldn't move in our room! That storage unit has been filling up since, and it's going to be so much fun moving it all into our house
We need to rearrange the unit this weekend to accommodate the TV stand as well as the washer and dryer!

fastnoc: Sometimes it sure wasn't easy to just put our money away
We are bad when it comes to getting cars when we see a good deal (we have 6
) I'd do just about anything for a 67 Camaro and I've seen so many that I could afford with the $$ that was put away. Luckily I WAS disciplined enough when it came to that!!