Need Advice: Getting a companion for a Shy cat

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Lucky is my lovely girl, who came to me about a month ago, as a shy cat. She has since had a complete turn around, and I have been thinking about getting her a sibling, so I can give her company when I travel, and also save another kitti's life. Lucky needed A LOT of attention to come around - she went from hiding in a tiny closet for most of the day to sleeping with me, right next to my face, coming over when I call, playing, cuddling, and even liking to be carried on my arms... She is the sweetest thing ever!!!
I also want to make sure I get my kitten from my rescuer, as she has been wonderful with both Lucky and I.
Here are my choices:

Gandalf the Grey
Norwegian Forest Cat, Maine Coon [Mix]

Gandalf is 3-5yr old. He is so terrified right now that he has chosen to live in a cabinet in his room. He came from a horrible hoarder situation in Fort Worth, and he obviously got little to no attention in his home, so he really needs someone willing to work with him. He is really laid-back.

Star
Ragdoll Mix

Star was such a sweetheart when she went in, but she has gotten increasingly unhappy in the last month or so. She is really alpha, and as an alpha, she just needs room to be in charge. She needs a whole house she can be in charge of. You would think she is more adoptable because of her age, but her unhappiness is keeping her from being adopted...

So - From Lucky's stand point, which one do you think will be a better choice for her? Or is it better for her to be alone? I will be traveling somewhat often, and I want to make sure she has company all the time...

Thank you so much!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure Lucky was truly a shy cat?
It's normal for cats to be skittish when moving to a new home. Once they've adapted, they no longer hide their true personality. Lucky seems to be pretty sociable to me.

How soon will you be on the road? Choosing another cat that needs special attention or have behavioral problems due to a traumatic past, may not be a suitable companion for Lucky. Not only will it be stressful for the cats, but you may have to reconsider postponing your traveling plans to make sure both cats are happy with each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Are you sure Lucky was truly a shy cat?
It's normal for cats to be skittish when moving to a new home. Once they've adapted, they no longer hide their true personality. Lucky seems to be pretty sociable to me.

How soon will you be on the road? Choosing another cat that needs special attention or have behavioral problems due to a traumatic past, may not be a suitable companion for Lucky. Not only will it be stressful for the cats, but you may have to reconsider postponing your traveling plans to make sure both cats are happy with each other.
Oh no, she was SHY, and still is a little... That is the reason why she was dumped by the backyard breeder, adopted, dumped again, and was going to be put to sleep because nobody wanted to adopt her... She was rescued, and was living a terrified life under the couch in the rescuer's home... She was so stressed out that she had scabs from over grooming, and the rescuer was losing hope on her ever adopting... Believe me - it took me 1 month, 24x7 (I am not working right now) giving her love, talking to her, petting her with a wand, giving her treats, etc... There were plenty of times I though I was not going to be able to do it, and the thought "what the heck did I put myself into?" crossed my mind quite a few times.... But, with LOTS of time, patience, and love, she came around... L-I-T-T-L-E by liiiiitttllleee.... one slow and sometimes frustrating step at a time!

I was her slave
for a full month, no time for myself.... It was ALL about her...
I might be crazy, but getting her was the best thing I did in a long time... She brough so much into my life... To see her thriving is the best feeling EVER! I am in love with my EX-shy kitty.... Everyday we accomplish something new, and every minute she makes me happy - she is truly a special one...

I see what you are saying about Gandalf - what about Star? What do you think? A shy kitty with an alpha one?