That terrible pain again!!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That terrible pain came again in my back between my shouldars and below the breast bone.
I threw up so much food from the pain.
My husband called the advice nurse and I talked to her.
I will see the dr next week and I am scared
It used to happen omce in awhile but has happened alot more now.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I'm so sorry!!! I wish I could do more then just send you get well soon vibes and

I hope they find something out for you and make the pain go away.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever been checked for acid reflux or similar types of aliments??? Doubt that they'd be bad enough to make you vomit, but there have been times that my acid reflux got so bad, that I couldn't eat. Just a suggestion..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The timing triggered my response. You said it typically happens after 5pm. Which is after dinner usually at least for me.

Gallbladder attacks often follow fatty meals, and they may occur during the night. A typical attack can cause:

- steady pain in the right upper abdomen that increases rapidly and lasts from 30 minutes to several hours

- pain in the back between the shoulder blades

- pain under the right shoulder

If you have any of the following symptoms you should see a doctor immediately:

- prolonged pain—more than 5 hours
- nausea and vomiting
- fever—even low-grade—or chills
- yellowish color of the skin or whites of the eyes
- clay-colored stools

In light of the fact that you are vomiting and running a fever, you really should go to the doctor on Monday. No need for the ER, but get into see your own family doctor or a walk in clinic.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The timing triggered my response. You said it typically happens after 5pm. Which is after dinner usually at least for me.

Gallbladder attacks often follow fatty meals, and they may occur during the night. A typical attack can cause:

- steady pain in the right upper abdomen that increases rapidly and lasts from 30 minutes to several hours

- pain in the back between the shoulder blades

- pain under the right shoulder

If you have any of the following symptoms you should see a doctor immediately:

- prolonged pain—more than 5 hours
- nausea and vomiting
- fever—even low-grade—or chills
- yellowish color of the skin or whites of the eyes
- clay-colored stools

In light of the fact that you are vomiting and running a fever, you really should go to the doctor on Monday. No need for the ER, but get into see your own family doctor or a walk in clinic.
The timing made me wonder about gallstones, too. Been there and had the surgery.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pain has always been lower - from my stomach down for any GI issues, but pain is a funny thing that everyone feels differently.

I believe that my gallbladder caused my GERD problems, or at least it certainly did not help (it also seems to take me 2-3 times longer to digest food then a normal person).
Have you never had a doctor check or even suspect your gallbladder? How long has this been going on, what pattern do you notice (triggers), and do you ever vomit or get diarrhea?

Since you have GERD, don't be surprised if they want to double check that to see if there's any worse damage lately. You may want them to check your for H. pylori, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Everyone,
I am seeing the Dr Friday but if it happens again they said to call and I can go.
There are foods I can not digest.
They go right through me.
The pain used to happen about once a year.
If I throw up alot then the pain goes away.
I think it is always after I eat something greasy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

how long afterwards?
greasy/fatty foods will often trigger gallbladder attacks. here's a link w/some info: gallstones
btw, how old are you? most people start to have problems [if problems are going to occur] in their 40s. mine started when i was 42 - took 6 months before they diagnosed it & my gallbladder was removed.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Thanks Everyone,
I am seeing the Dr Friday but if it happens again they said to call and I can go.
There are foods I can not digest.
They go right through me.
The pain used to happen about once a year.
If I throw up alot then the pain goes away.
That is what happened to me.. I would get the pain once a year and it would last a few hours. I always thought it was a virus of some sort. Then it started happening 2-3 times a month. In Jan, 2004 I talked to my doctor about it and he sent me for an ultrasound. I was looking at the screen while the tech was doing the ultrasound and saw a bunch of tiny spots. I thought to myself that those are gallstones. I was right and had it removed in March of 2004.

The gallbladder attacks were the worst pain I have ever experienced. DH didn't understand how much pain I was in until the doctor said I had to have surgery. The surgeon told me that they stopped counting the stones in my gallbladder at 10 since it was full of them.

I haven't had anymore problems with the pain. I did have the dreaded "flushes" for about a year when I ate something super fatty, but no pain.

Hope you get it checked out soon.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's too bad that you didn't head to the ER (I don't either for pain, so I'm not criticizing you for that). If it is your gallbladder and was an attack, they might have been able to get some interesting results on blood tests. Still have them take blood and check your liver out. Chronic gallbladder problems can affect your liver and cause pancreatitis - which could also cause bad pain.

I hope you can get some news soon. And if you do have to have surgery to have your gallbladder taken out, it's not that bad. You'll be over the worst of the pain within a couple days. You will have to be careful with food after, even if they say you can eat what you want, generally it's best to eat low or non fat for a few weeks.