Canned food question

qhgirl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had their cat gain weight on a diet of canned food alone? I ask because my cat is overweight. He weighs approximately 16 pounds and should ideally weigh 12-13 pounds. He gained a lot of weight eating a combination of EVO and canned and he's now on Wellness Healthy Weight and canned. He gets 2.5-3 oz of canned a day. I mainly feed Wellness, Evangers, Innova, and Merricks. I don't feel that he's losing any weight since I switched foods several months ago. My next step is to try an all canned diet. Thoughts?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you do a high protein low carb dry, such as orijen.... It sounds to me that you are giving too much of the dry food - how much are you feeding her?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As with humans you need to consider calories. Do you control how many calories he eats? I'd stop all dry. I'm sure it's possible for him to lose weight even with a low carb dry in his diet but I think it would be easier if he didn't eat any.

Exactly how much are you feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qhgirl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! He currently gets approximately 2.25 oz of canned food and 1/4 of a cup of Wellness. When I was still feeding the EVO he was eating 1/4 or a cup of that plus the same amount of canned as he's getting now and gained weight on that.

ETA: He doesn't get any treats in his diet either

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it was me I would just feed 100% wet. Probably about 6 oz/day- so two of the small cans a day.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by qhgirl1

Thanks for the replies! He currently gets approximately 2.25 oz of canned food and 1/4 of a cup of Wellness. When I was still feeding the EVO he was eating 1/4 or a cup of that plus the same amount of canned as he's getting now and gained weight on that.

ETA: He doesn't get any treats in his diet either
How often does he get that amount of food? When I fed dry and wet I fed 1/4 cup of dry in the morning and about 3 oz of wet in the evening.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you have gooten some good advice but please discuss this matter with the vet .. has kitty been weighed recently??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qhgirl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

How often does he get that amount of food? When I fed dry and wet I fed 1/4 cup of dry in the morning and about 3 oz of wet in the evening.
I feed the wet in the morning and dry at night
Originally Posted by sharky

you have gooten some good advice but please discuss this matter with the vet .. has kitty been weighed recently??
No, he hasn't been weighed recently. The vets' solution to weight loss around here is Science Diet and that's not even something I would consider.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had one cat gain weight on canned alone. He is my older, senile boy who tends to forget that he just ate five minutes after eating--therefore, I fed him more than I should have, and that caused him to gain weight. I would definitely recommend trying canned only--just make sure you adjust if the kitty's weight stays stable. I would also suggest getting a scale so you can monitor his weight at home. You can look for scales on CraigsList, or you can get a postal scale. I bought an inexpensive postal scale--I put a cardboard box on it so that I can put the cat in the box. I found it to be cheaper than a baby scale.