I'm now rude and obnoxious...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I thought I'd never do. I got a cell phone today!

With Handi Transit if they are 10 minutes late to pick me up I'm supposed to phone them. That's not always possible because not all entrances that I get picked up at have a phone nearby, and if I leave the area and they come while I'm gone, I get charged a fine, even though I was gone to phone them
Plus that accident I was in in October made me feel very vulnerable. I was powerless to do anything when the driver refused to report the accident and I had to put up with being thrown around the back seat because of his reckless driving for an hour after that.

So I went and asked about cell phones and the next thing I know I'm signing up.

I got the phone free with a 3 year contract through my phone company. It's bundled so the monthly rate is cheaper. I didn't want any of the bells and whistles like texting, call waiting, call display etc. It does have a camera, video and MP3 capabilities though. I didn't really want that stuff but they don't seem to have cameras that don't have that stuff.

The guy looked at me like I had 3 eyes when I asked him if they had packages that only had about 60 or 90 minutes per month because I'd never use 350 minutes per week, or even in the month.

And he was shocked when I told him to just leave the phone in the box when he asked if I wanted to carry it in my purse.

Anyway, it's a pretty red Motorolla I think.

Because I declared bankruptcy last year, I had to give $100.00 deposit and in 6 months I can request it refunded or applied as a credit to my account. I was prepared for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm taking the instructions with me to work. The only thing on this phone other than the ability to dial out that interests me is the MP3 player. I love listening to music and have wanted to get a smaller MP3 player that would fit into my coat pocket or strap to my arm. My current one is the old kind that is the size of a standard CD. Not sure how many gigs of music I can put on the phone though.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having a cell phone does not instantly equal being rude and obnoxious, though it certainly does have that effect on a lot of people. Somehow I don't see you engaging in the activities that earn them that title, though.

We don't use ours all that much, either, but have come to appreciate them a lot. Enjoy the freedom it gives you.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Having a cell phone does not instantly equal being rude and obnoxious, though it certainly does have that effect on a lot of people.
Yes, not everyone who has a cell phone is like that, but I encounter very many so I've always felt that cells phones have bred a whole new generation of rude people.

I still have my land line and that is the phone I will be using most of the time. I don't go out often before or after work and on days off I'm usually too tired. I just really needed a way to get a hold of the transportation company because they've messed up more than once and have either left me behind or forgotten to pick me up.

If I can figure out the MP3 player I'll get my money's worth out of the monthly phone charge. Otherwise it will be a few very expensive phone calls each month.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you saying everyone that has one is rude and obnoxious?
I think you just offended 95% of people on this site!

A mobile phone is great to have for so many reasons, especially in your situation where you rely on someone to pick you up.

You'll find the MP3 player drains the battery on the phone quite fast. It would be fine for listening to a couple of songs while waiting for something, but any more than that and you'll have a flat phone.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ That depends on the phone. Mine doesn't have the greatest battery life (a day and a half if I text a lot) because if the larger screens, but listening to some music on it doesn't affect that much as the screens have a default power setting that turns them off when not in immediate use.

What will matter is how you get the music on there and if it's expandable at all. If you can put an extra 2-4gb SD card in there and get a usb card reader you can move a lot of files fairly quickly. You may or may not need special headphones. If your phone has an adapter with it, you're lucky.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'know, I've never understood why people object to hearing others talk on cellphones. As long as they aren't talking unusually loud, it's really the same as overhearing any other kind of conversation, except that you're only hearing one side of it -- which only bothers me if it's really interesting!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nah- not obnoxious.

The only people that ever call my phone are dh, and the girls' schools. We have free weekends, so we did away with our long distance plans and now just use the cells for every long distance phone call. All of our family lives away. It's kind of nice, esp with free weekends, and nights after 7 are free.

Mine has a camera, and an MP3 player too. I know how to use the camera, just can't figure out how to put pictures from the phone onto the computer (but I don't think you can do that for free lol).

I just figured out how to use the MP3 player, and I've had the phone for a year! And that was the reason in the first place that I decided to get that phone

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Y'know, I've never understood why people object to hearing others talk on cellphones. As long as they aren't talking unusually loud, it's really the same as overhearing any other kind of conversation, except that you're only hearing one side of it -- which only bothers me if it's really interesting!
Have you ever tried to check someone out, or watched a cashier have to repeat themselves 3-4 times because the customer can't get off their phone for a minute?

Many businesses have signs up now asking customers to hang their phones up before checking out.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have been better off with a pre-paid cell phone. I have one from Virgin Mobile. It only costs me $15 every 3 months to "top up," unless I use more minutes during that time. I rarely do. But the minutes carry over, so they accumulate. And best of all, no contract. I just got a new phone from them with absolutely no bells or whistles, not even a camera, or MP3, that cost me $19.95, and it seems to work pretty good so far. They use the Verizon network.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Have you ever tried to check someone out, or watched a cashier have to repeat themselves 3-4 times because the customer can't get off their phone for a minute?
Oh, yes! And that is rude, I completely agree!

But it would be just as rude if both conversants were standing there in person, too (and I've actually had people ignore me that way, as well). So my theory is that, in the immortal words of Shakespeare (sorta), the problem lies not in our phones, but in ourselves!

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to be the last person on Earth without a cell phone...Maybe I'll get one when I can finally figure out what it is that's so important to talk about! And when I want the rest of Walmart/grocery store/line at the DMV, etc, etc to be able to listen in!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I held out, too, for the longest since I hate phones. But I needed a cellphone in case someone from work needs me to come in, I live in a rural area (that means 30+ miles between towns), and DH and I text each other. Since he can only use his phone on breaks I can leave him messages for when he has time to read them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was programming it at work on my break. My manager came in to give me some more forms to fill out and also realized that my name and phone number is not in the fan out list in case of an emergency. When she saw my cell phone she said that I should leave that number too. I told her that I only got it to call out on in case of an emergency and that I'm not using it as an actual phone to receive phone calls.

I have a land line with an answering machine and that's good enough. I am not a slave to my telephone or email and if people want to get hold of me they can leave a message and I'll call them back when I'm home.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I usually use mine for the clock. Really. I hardly use it to call anyone (I'm not a phone talker, never have been.) DH uses it all the time, runs over the mintues, forgets to tell me, and, when I DO use it, I get charged for the extra (which I make him pay; I actually pay the phone bill myself). Also, the few times I've needed it for an emergency, the other person's phone is off, or I don't get service in the area! I'm forever forgetting it, too.

Linda, I can't imagine you becoming obnoxious, etc. with your phone! From what I've seen here, you understand how one should behave in public, and inapproriate public behavior bothers you when you see it.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I was programming it at work on my break. My manager came in to give me some more forms to fill out and also realized that my name and phone number is not in the fan out list in case of an emergency. When she saw my cell phone she said that I should leave that number too. I told her that I only got it to call out on in case of an emergency and that I'm not using it as an actual phone to receive phone calls.

I have a land line with an answering machine and that's good enough. I am not a slave to my telephone or email and if people want to get hold of me they can leave a message and I'll call them back when I'm home.
Stick to your guns about the cell # thing. Everyone wants that number. They have no right to insist you give it to them. They tried this at work, too; my friend said she wouldn't give it to them, as she was NOT going to be available to them 24/7. Also, many stores, etc. want it, too. I once slipped, and gave it to Home Depot when I was expecting installation--I think they sold the #, and now I get phone solicitors on my cell phone (which, I believe, in the U.S. is illegal?). As you said, you have a landk line with an anwsering machine. If they can't get ahold of you that way, tough for them!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ShopCat

I'm trying to be the last person on Earth without a cell phone...Maybe I'll get one when I can finally figure out what it is that's so important to talk about! And when I want the rest of Walmart/grocery store/line at the DMV, etc, etc to be able to listen in!
most of the people who have my number are family members. i like having it as much for when i'm driving somewhere [i'm single, live alone] for emergencies as much as anything else. altho i did cancel my landline long distance, since the cell has free long distance. my parents' landline is long distance for me, so i use the cell to call them/receive calls from them.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you Linda!
I like having mine purely for the emergency use..I feel unsafe without it in case I break down or something at night.

I don't use mine alot at all, I have the cheapest plan!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Excellent response,
since I finished work back in October I retired my pager, I will never have one again (the thing use to drive me nuts) and as for my cell phone I think I used it twice once to call my sister when I was out shopping to ask what she wanted for Christmas, and once to call a cab when I took my car in for maintenance.

I also have a land line at home and a answering machine so if anyone wants to reach me they can.....
Of course I am notorious for screening my calls but hey that's my prerogative.

I often get this message from my brother "You know it wouldn't kill you to answer your phone once in awhile.......Call me"