BAD scratcher - don't want to resort to declawing

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made an introduction thread explaining a bit about myself. So shortened version: I foster kittens, give them some medical treatment, and rehome them. But as of right now, I have one 'kitten' that is getting to be quite big and still has no home.

She's a black tortioshell, she's not particularly absolutely gorgeous or unique looking, and she's a hoooorrible scratcher. She is VERY playful and active, and when zooming around will often latch on to someone's legs and climb up their body, scratching and sometimes even making them bleed. My boyfriend and I always have scratches all over ourselves because of her.

With that said.. we love her. Of course we do. She's been in my care since she was 3-4 weeks old, when she and her 2 brothers came to me emaciated and covered in fleas. After a long fight, she was the only one in her litter to survive.

But I'm at a loss. She's nearing 5 months, and her chances of a home are looking grim. I'm preparing myself to face that I may just have to keep her. But I don't own my own home right now, and she can't continue scratching, tearing everything up, and making people bleed. I'm almost 100% positive I'm going to go ahead and schedule her spay soon... but I don't know what to do about her scratching. Before I ever had a cat, I was and am against declawing. I've seen the horrors of it, and I've always thought.. "It's a cat. Cat's scratch, and if you can't deal with that, get a stuffed animal." But I suppose it isn't always that easy, eh?

Is this harmful scratching a 'phase', much like puppies and their play biting.. or is this something I'm going to have to be prepared to deal with until her old age? I can deal with a phase.. and I could deal with it her entire life too.. but I'm also considering if she is spayed + declawed, that would increase her adoptability and she may actually find a good home.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
TCS is an anti-declaw site.

that said - are you clipping her claws at all? i find clippers like these the easiest to use.

get her a scratching post, too!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you can keep her claws trimmed and train her to use a scratching post. My Mittens was like that scratching up my bosses furniture until she went and got a scratching post and trained her.. now she NEVER scratches furniture, only the post. But i do sometimes see her clawing carpet. You dont have to resort to declawing. You said your against it so i kno nobody here has to warn you about declawing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

TCS is an anti-declaw site.

that said - are you clipping her claws at all? i find clippers like these the easiest to use.

get her a scratching post, too!
I clip all their nails frequently. Some of the kittens that don't scratch hardly at all, I may skip over and let go longer.. but Kira's are trimmed at least once a week. It doesn't help. We have boxes and other make shift scratching posts(wood and then thick cardboard) and play toys all over, as well. I'm a dog trainer, and understand that the principle of positive reinforcement can be used on all animals.. but no training has helped either.

Of course she will stay with me until a home can be found.. but if I can't stop this awful scratching I may have her forever. I know I could live with the scratching, but I would like her to find a forever home. As of now, she's isolated to only one room because of her scratching. I don't want her living in a small bedroom for the rest of her life.

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

Yeah, you can keep her claws trimmed and train her to use a scratching post. My Mittens was like that scratching up my bosses furniture until she went and got a scratching post and trained her.. now she NEVER scratches furniture, only the post. But i do sometimes see her clawing carpet. You dont have to resort to declawing. You said your against it so i kno nobody here has to warn you about declawing.
I work in a veterinary clinic. I've seen the procedure done, and I've seen cats that return because even weeks later they still had pain and wouldn't even put weight on their front paws (imagine a begging dog...). As well as being against declawing, I'm against ear cropping, sometimes docking,and debarking. But as always, life isn't always as black and white. There HAVE been good people with legitimate reasons come in to have their cats declawed. Often the legitimate ones are old, and if the cat just barely scratched them, they'd bleed like nuts because their skin is so thin.

Just right now, nothing I've been doing has been helping. Can anyone tell me about cat behavior.. is this something that she will continue as an adult, or a kitten phase?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just remember that dogs and cats don't have the same motivations. A dog will do something to please their leader. A cat is in it for themselves - and that's just their survival mechanism that influences their behavior.

What is the cat really wants when it climbs and scratches? A tall place to look down upon her domain (get a cat condo), and to keep her claws sharp to protect herself.

Remember when you've tried to housebreak puppies? You had to keep an eye on them the entire time and the moment they started to look like they had to go, you got them outside to potty. Training a kitten/cat is not so different than that.

Get yourself a tall scratch post (one tall enough where they can stretch out their entire body). Anytime you see your kitten start to scratch, redirect her to that scratch post, place her paws on the post and rub them up and down. Get on your knees with her and scratch with her (she'll think its fun). Then reward her with a treat. Do not let her go unsupervised (as you would the puppy) while she is in "training" or she will regress. You would be surprised how fast they pick up on this. I've retrained adult cats within 3 days.

If she responds positively to catnip, rub catnip on the scratcher. She might be too young yet for this, and its something you could use later on.

Please try this and post here if it is failing. I'll come up with more ideas for you.

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice and help. Unfortunately, never leaving her unsupervised is just not an option, unless I crate her while I'm away(which I have done in the past, but prefer not to). I work a lot to afford all that I do for the animals, and I'm a full time student.

The most troubling part of it is that she's actually not THAT awful about tearing up the furniture. She had left a tiny bit of damage before, but due to some discipline, we haven't noticed any more damage. The problem is her scratching PEOPLE. No one likes being brutalized by their own cat. I have scratches all the way up my arms, on my neck, and a pretty deep one on my feet where she latched onto last night when she was being overly rambunctious and started falling off the bed and grabbed the nearest object: my foot. What I'm MOST worried about is that due to her brutalizing people the way she does, she'll never be highly adoptable. I have had a few people come look at her, but when she draws blood, they aren't as willing to take her.

Unfortunately, many of those cat condos are outrageously priced. We've instead provided make shift objects to play with.

Kira is very much loved, and though I've said over and over "If she doesn't stop, I will have to resort to declawing her," reasoning that it wouldn't be so bad because it would make her more adoptable.. but I really don't think I could ever do that. I've adopted to people that plan to have their cats declawed(because a declawed is better than a cat that is killed in a shelter), but I really don't think that I'd ever do it.. I've never been a fan of the easy way out with dogs. No reason it shouldn't be any different with cats. But mostly, I want what is best for her.. and want her to be able to find a home.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tessa_s212

The problem is her scratching PEOPLE. No one likes being brutalized by their own cat. I have scratches all the way up my arms, on my neck, and a pretty deep one on my feet where she latched onto last night when she was being overly rambunctious and started falling off the bed and grabbed the nearest object: my foot. What I'm MOST worried about is that due to her brutalizing people the way she does, she'll never be highly adoptable. I have had a few people come look at her, but when she draws blood, they aren't as willing to take her.
Sorry, misunderstood your post. Take a look at this behavior thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20837

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much!

I've concluded 100% that I'm NOT declawing her, to relieve you all. I never really would have.. I always came back to, well.. there's more I could try, and I can deal with the scratching if I have to stand up for what I am against.

We've already been doing much of what is advised. When she bites or scratches during play, she is given a warning tap on the nose. If she 'attacks' again, she is isolated and placed in the neighboring quiet room for a short time in the crate. When we let her out, she behaves for a time, but often resorts to scratching again. (We do remain consistent, but it gets tiring when she's not learning and she's spending more time in the crate than playing.)

But it simply isn't always just play WITH us.. she may be playing with one of the other fosters, or just running around the room like mad, and we happen to be in her way, and in turn we get scratched. I didn't find any advice on the aggression thread for that. How do you teach a cat not to use her claws when doing something just like running on us? She could bounce off my head for all I care, I just don't want her to draw blood and scratch us in the process. And in these times, I can't discipline her because she's already half way across the room and OBLIVIOUS to the fact that she hurt me. I couldn't rightly punish her then.

Lol. Dogs are soo much easier. :p As far as cat training goes.. it took my boyfriends cat over a hear to stop being aggressive to me. Give dogs food, and they love you. Cats.. well, I admire those that can train cats.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you looked at the softpaws? I haven't tried them, but I know a number of TCS members have. You could do a search in the forums to find threads about them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, many of those cat condos are outrageously priced. We've instead provided make shift objects to play with.
You can find some decently priced on Ebay, and sometimes with free shipping too.

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

You can find some decently priced on Ebay, and sometimes with free shipping too.
Unfortunately, I still have no credit card to purchase things online. I understand you can find much better deals online most of the time.. but that option isn't available to me.

Are softpaws the rubber tips you put on their nails? I've always wondered how they work.. cats retract their claws..

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she's 5 months old? I wouldnt give up yet.

Kitty was a terror at that age too. we rescued her at 4 months old. i went to work with bleeding scratches almost daily for months. it was awful, but she was my baby.

at about 8 months old she just stopped. maybe a little earlier. she had hated being picked up, but i wanted to help her understand its a nice thing, not something to be afraid of. she is 1.5 yr old now, and never ever hurts me
i hope you have a happy ending too.

p.s. my mom still has a scar on her stomach from about a year ago from Kitty while cat sitting. and she doesnt even like cats. but she still babies them

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, I still have no credit card to purchase things online. I understand you can find much better deals online most of the time.. but that option isn't available to me.

Are softpaws the rubber tips you put on their nails? I've always wondered how they work.. cats retract their claws..
try finding on http://www.craigslist.org. Keep seaching in there often. The prices are LOW LOW, and they are in your area, so you go and pick it up, paying cash.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to what everyone else has said. She's still young and she will calm down somewhat.

I used to have a problem with my cat running over my feet while chasing something else and giving me deep scratches that way. That was probably worst when she was roughly 4-7 months or so. She's 3 years now and I've not gotten scratched in that way for almost 2 years.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

doesn't seem to be a problem for them... see pic below [Java]

also, my 1st really tall tree i got on eBay - $71, $50 of that was the shipping. if you have a bank account, you can set up a PayPal account for online shopping. most eBay sellers accept PayPal, as does Armarkat [which offers free shipping on most of their trees!] - worth checking out... also, if you have one of those Visa 'debit' cards that look like a credit card, they can be used online as a credit card - i know, 'cause i use mine that way all the time.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some online merchants you don't need a credit card. Place your order and indicate that you want to pay by check or money order. You then print out the invoice and mail it in with the check/MO.

You can get a Greendot prepaid MC.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about getting a cat scratching tree or something.

As soon as I brought Kittys home right after getting her, she jumped on it the second it came in the door! She only scratches on it (and the mattres side)

Holly, well she prefers the carpet unfortunately. but, its there is she wants it.

It doesnt have to be huge or expensive, but do get one