How Do You Get Rid of Used Cat Litter?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Believe it or not, I actually want to run an article about this

So, doing some initial research here. If you could please share which type of litter you use and how you get rid of it? All stories, ideas, tips and comments are very welcome - thank you!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using a clay based clumping litter (generic). My brother-in-law collects and spreads the used litter around his garden to try and deter deer and other animals from eating their asparagus.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use just a regular clumping litter. When we scoop, we just put it in a wal-mart bag and put it out in the trash.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
which room

one has clumping clay

one has some all swheet scoop , some half swheet /half essentials

other room essentials and chicken feed ..

I use grocery bags and throw in trash can outside

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use clay litter with an additive (Litter Mate) that allows it to clump. When my yard has gopher/vole runs, I sprinkle the used litters on the mounds to encourage them to go elsewhere. Otherwise I scoop into plastic grocery bags and throw in the outside trash can.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a clumping litter and I scoop 3 times a day, my one cat has two litterboxes. I use a good brand but can't remember, we pour it into a big tub, makes less mess with spilling all over the floor
and easier to move around. My sister uses her used cat litter to put around the garden, it deters the other cats in the house next door from coming round.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use World's Best Cat Litter. I put used litter in biodegradable doggie poop bags that I then put in the garbage.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Tidy Cats Breeze system, scoop once every day or so, and throw it in a small Walmart or empty bread bag and throw in the dumpster outside.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am assuming you are asking how to get rid of the litter and not the pee/poo in the litter?

I do scoop everyday, but when its time to throw the litter away and start over, I double bag large garbage bags and dump the whole thing inside and then straight to the outside garbage can. I use Tidy Cats.

magicchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step Lavendar Valley (for Cosi's litter box), and Fresh Step Mountain Fresh (for Savannah's litter box). Both cover up the nasty smell. I also scoop them out once in the morning, and once during the day. Cosi's box is on our 1st floor, so I scoop hers and throw it in the trashcan on our front porch (it has a bag in it.). With Savannah's, I grab a plastic bag and scoop hers out into that and then throw it out in the trashcan outside. Savannah's box is on the 3rd floor.

I also pour a little more litter in the box every week. Then dump the whole thing out (in a large garbage bag) once a month, wash the pan, and pour new litter in it. No one knows I have cats. I am meticulous about keeping my house clean and smelling fresh.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I am using a clay based clumping litter (generic). My brother-in-law collects and spreads the used litter around his garden to try and deter deer and other animals from eating their asparagus.
Hopefully not actually on/near the asparagus?!? I've always been under the impression that animal waste, even when composted, should only be used on non-edible crops. Can anyone else verify this?

I use a small bucket with lid and line it with a small plastic bag. Scoop/empty contents of litter box 2x daily into bucket. Once the plastic bag is filled I tie it off and off to the dumpster it goes. I've been contemplating digging a deep hole fairly small in diameter and simply depositing the waste daily, then covering with a small layer of dirt. Repeat until hole is refilled, dig new hole. Thoughts?

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step clumping litter (for now, so dusty). I scoop once a day and place the pee/poo in a biodegradable bag. Then every 3 weeks or so I empty the whole litter box into a cardboard box and throw it in the trash.
I try not to use trash bags since they are not biodegradable.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use swheat scoop or world's best, collect a week's worth in our homemade litter locker (in a kitchen garbage bag) --this would include whatever we scooped plus what was in the litterbox I cleaned totally that week.

It goes out with our weekly trash.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

Hopefully not actually on/near the asparagus?!? I've always been under the impression that animal waste, even when composted, should only be used on non-edible crops. Can anyone else verify this?
No, the old litter does not go on the garden itself. BIL has had the Master Gardener classes and knows about composting.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

No, the old litter does not go on the garden itself. BIL has had the Master Gardener classes and knows about composting.
Awesome. How big is his garden? Since you supply the litter, do you get a cut of the bounty?