My cat tries to bury his food!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat scratches the floor around her food after she eats is; just like she does in her litter box, as though she wanted to bury the food! Does anybody else's do that? And why does she do that? Pretty cute, but also intriguing!
She must be fond of food - 9 months, 9 lbs!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

My cat scratches the floor around his food after he eats is; just like he does in his litter box, as though he wanted to bury the food! Doe anybody else's do that? And why does she do that? Pretty cute, but also intriguing!
That is the same weight Persi was at. But he leveled off at 12 pounds. I think your cat is giving thanks with his pecular ceremony after eating.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a common behavior, and most experts agree it's not a commentary on the food you're providing.

The general feeling is that it has to do with the cat's desire to "cache" what's left of a meal so he can come back to it later.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls do this too. I think it is a common trait. They want to "bury" the food so it will be there when they come back.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a normal behavior for cats. Wild cats do the same thing. After eating, they will cover whats left of their kill and come back at a later time to finish.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

My cat scratches the floor around his food after he eats is; just like he does in his litter box, as though he wanted to bury the food! Doe anybody else's do that? And why does she do that? Pretty cute, but also intriguing!
Why are you calling your little Lucky girl kitty a him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Why are you calling your little Lucky girl kitty a him?
Big Duh! No idea.... She is most definitely a girl!!! Sorry

knottygirlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shadow, who has owned us from the time she was a kitten, does not do this. Squirt, who was abandon,found and claimed us, ran away and was in the wild for 3.5 months and then reclaimed us as his people, does. I just thought it was because he spent alot of time having to scrounge for food on his own. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the quality of food since Squirt would eat pretty much anything.

Lori, Rick, Shadow and Squirt

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy is a big 'paw-er' - always paws around his food bowls. Oddly enough, while he usually doesn't bury his litter box business, he loves pawing around the boxes - the sides, the door next to the box, the floor outside the box. My girl is a careful litter box burier, including my boy's left-overs. But, she likes to take her food out of the bowl and eat off the floor - I've tried other types of bowls, and even just little people flat plates, but she likes the floor better, I guess.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girls try to bury thier food too, BEFORE they eat it
They make quite
a ritual of it and then they eat it. I put the food on a real high bed I have so the dogs don't get it and one day they buried the food with all the decorator pillows
By the time I got home they were pretty hungry and I needed new pillows. Lani also trys to bury stuff in her litter box with the wall, floor or anything other than the litter.