Ways to get my cat to take her medicine

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keller has an URI complete with sores in her mouth which makes eating next to impossible. They gave me amoxi-drops to give her 2 times a day. She is nearly impossible to medicate. We have wrapped her in a towel and tried to hold her front legs just like the vet does. She twists her head at impossible angles and snaps at us. I even scruffed her neck and she still won't give. I did cheat and mix the medicine with the juice from a really junky can of wet food (fancy feast). She licked at that. I also put some on her paws but the meds are pink and she is white. Do you have any ideas or can I continue to put it in her food...provided she will actually eat it? Any idea for things I can mix it in?

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The amoxi-drops are given with an eye-dropper are they not? Can you wait until she's sleeping then sneak up to her, start petting her head then quickly stick the dropper into the side of her mouth and squeeze? LOL

Another option...........call around to see if there is a "compounding pharmacy" in your area, or do a search on Google, including your location or next major city. Compounding pharmacies can often make up medications into a transdermal gel that you rub into the cat's ear.....and it's absorbed that way. Not all meds can be compounded but a lot cat. In the search box type in: compounding pharmacy vet medications _________ (in the blank, type in your state/city/etc)

Even if you can't find one locally, most should be able to get the prescription faxed or phoned to them from your Vet/Vet's office, then make it up and ship it to you, maybe by courier overnight if you're willing to pay.

Compounding pharmacies can also flavor medications real good.......often in a wide variety of flavors (tuna, beef, chicken, etc). If Amoxi drops is anything like the liquid suspension of amoxicillin, that stuff is extremely strong tasting (the amoxicillin suspension is the same stuff human kids are given!...it's a strong banana flavor).

How much of the liquid do you have to get into kitty?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

Compounding pharmacies can also flavor medications real good.......often in a wide variety of flavors (tuna, beef, chicken, etc). If Amoxi drops is anything like the liquid suspension of amoxicillin, that stuff is extremely strong tasting (the amoxicillin suspension is the same stuff human kids are given!...it's a strong banana flavor).

How much of the liquid do you have to get into kitty?
if it's the same stuff i've gotten in the past, it's already banana-flavored - mine was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This stuff is bubble gum flavored...come on, what cat eats bubble gum or banana?
I need to get the whole dropper in, 1 ml. She is deaf as a doornail but hears me coming with the medicine of course. Poor thing, she doesn't realize it will make her feel better. She also has some bleeding sores on the back of her feet from laying on the heater vents, at least that is what I think they are from. She still has a fever and must be chilled. I am going to ask the vet to look at them on Friday.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
that's because it's not cat medicine - it's pediatric medicine [the label on mine even said that]... maybe try mixing it w/some tuna water or meat baby food? worth a shot.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would wonder, if she's got sores in her mouth, if the antibiotic liquid with such a strong flavoring would actually irritate them?

Is there something you can put over the heater vent - like a thinly folded towel so that at least she gets the warmth from it but isn't lying right on the metal vent?

I almost think a pill would be easier than 1cc of a nasty tasting liquid.

You might ask the Vet about an antibiotic injection........like this new one. It's intended for skin/soft tissue infections, abscesses, etc (might help with her mouth sores) but he could determine if it might help her URI.

http://www.convenia.com/pdfs/Conveni...nformation.pdf

It's given in a shot (subQ) and it lasts for 14 days. Maybe print off the info and take to Vet, in case he's not heard of it. It's something I have them give my cats after they have dentals done, if theyve done any major work (extractions, etc)......

If the Vet could at least switch to pill form instead of liquid, maybe you could try what others here do , Pill Pockets? I don't know anything about them but I gather they're some little treat thingy that you stick the pill into, and the cat can't smell the pill, thinks it's a treat. Maybe do a search on Google?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

I almost think a pill would be easier than 1cc of a nasty tasting liquid.

If the Vet could at least switch to pill form instead of liquid, maybe you could try what others here do, Pill Pockets? I don't know anything about them but I gather they're some little treat thingy that you stick the pill into, and the cat can't smell the pill, thinks it's a treat. Maybe do a search on Google?
i went back to my vet & switched the 2nd week's worth of liquid [actually powder that i was supposed to reconstitute] for pills. i find pills MUCH easier to administer. haven't used the pill pockets because i have a pill popper - althovb i prefer using butter & my fingers - i have more control. also, the last cat i medicated was Pixel - she doesn't do cat treats...

btw, i added pill pockets & pill popper links... in a pinch, you can use a vaginal suppository insertion device for a pill popper [wanna know how i know?
]...