Apparently, I abuse animals.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
News to me!!!!

I don't know how someone can just waltz in and do this with no one even noticing.
Seriously.

Is he trying to kill hundreds of animals or what? Where does he think these animals are going to be placed.. in a shelter? I know where they are going to be placed if we get shut down, in the GROUND.

I don't know whether to scream or cry right now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did this person have permission to be on the grounds>>>?? to look at someones PERSONAL dwelling>>?? I suggest you tell the owner to call the cops but first record that somehow ...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Did this person have permission to be on the grounds>>>?? to look at someones PERSONAL dwelling>>?? I suggest you tell the owner to call the cops but first record that somehow ...
I'm thinking that she is the owner and that she gave a tour to someone in good faith who video taped the tour without her consent and later edited it to include a voice over.

I see that she's made comments in the comment section of the video.

It doesn't look like the best decorated shelter environment that I've seen, but then again I've really nothing to compare it too other than our large government funded Humane Society. I've never been in a private shelter. But at least the kitties have a warm, safe place to be and they didn't look distressed that I could see.

Decorating requires money, and shelters rely on donations, and I imagine that all donations go to caring for the cats, not for paint for the walls. Which is understandable.

Sarah, I think you are doing the best that you can and you should take comfort that you are taking care of so many kitties in need and keeping them safe from cars etc. and trying to find them forever homes

I also think that you should stop replying to the video comments because you aren't going to change the mind of people who have already made up their minds. You've stated the facts and if they want to come and tour on their own, they can. Otherwise you are just giving them fuel to keep going on about.

I also suggest contacting YouTube and informing them that video was done without your personal knowledge and want it removed because it is defaming of the shelter because it is giving the wrong impression and was filmed without your knowledge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have already notified police.. but because it's not a erious crime.. they cna't get a warrant to get an address.

But we know who it is, and they are trying to cover up their tracks. But it's not goign to work, we now have names and addresses on both people involved. The grandmother and the grandson.

They had come in with intent to install a security system. She gave them the grand tour and ended it with them being in her apartment.

We are supposed her back from the police tomorrow.. but I don't think that there's much to do. Except get as many people to flag that video to get it off of there. I have it downloaded for evidence to show the laywers and the police as well.

The comments hurt just as bad. I don't know how anyone could think that someone could steal from such an organization. It's horrible. I don't know how people live with themselves.

But of course, I'm BIASED because I'm a volunteer. -rolls eyes-

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It doesn't look like the best shelter environment that I've seen, but then again I've really nothing to compare it too other than our large government funded Humane Society. I've never been in a private shelter. But at least the kitties have a warm, safe place to be and they didn't look distressed that I could see.

Sarah, I think you are doing the best that you can and you should take comfort that you are taking care of so many kitties in need and keeping them safe from cars etc. and trying to find them forever homes
We are proud of the fact that we are the ONLY cageless and free roaming rescue around here.
While some people think it's a bad thing, I don't see how.
You can see their true personality outside a cage, the lifers aren't cooped up 24/7, any disease we have every had in here has been contracted only through air and not touch. So caging makes no difference. We have been lucky so far that nothing worse has come in. But we will remain this way as long as we are open.

Thank you.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

We are proud of the fact that we are the ONLY cageless and free roaming rescue around here.
While some people think it's a bad thing, I don't see how.
You can see their true personality outside a cage, the lifers aren't cooped up 24/7, any disease we have every had in here has been contracted only through air and not touch. So caging makes no difference. We have been lucky so far that nothing worse has come in. But we will remain this way as long as we are open.

Thank you.
I meant to say "best decorated shelter", I edited my post, but not until after you replied, which I didn't see because my cookies hadn't cleared.

I like the no cage approach, so long as animals aren't being bullied by other animals, and I didn't see that happening in the video.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I most definitely agree that it's not well decorated. The office is the best looking room. But there's no cats in there (actually there is two cages set up with kittens in it right now, they will be able to go in when they have recieved all of their vaccinations.) That's another thing thats manditory. Vaccinations. Any animal MUST be vaccinated before it can be released into the main population.

But when it comes down to paint or cat food.. I think we all know what choice is going to be made.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the recommendation. I try to stop, but they are making me furious. Because it's all untrue.

I have contacted youtube. (though I can't find where to contact them directly without calling them) and have falgged the video several tims.. but it's still there.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, why's the tape date back from 1980 and they are just now putting it on youtube? Something seems wrong there.

By the way, I see nothing wrong with the place from that video except it's a poorly made video.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

Thanks for the recommendation. I try to stop, but they are making me furious. Because it's all untrue.

I have contacted youtube. (though I can't find where to contact them directly without calling them) and have falgged the video several tims.. but it's still there.
Try this link:

http://help.youtube.com/support/youtube/bin/request.py

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like a well done shelter.. $$ helps with cosmetics but the cats look healthy

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they just didn't want us to figure out who did it(thats why the date was 1980). Too late. We already know.

Thank you again.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ummm....they mention litterpans full of feces. Duh, apparently they've never scooped a box before - law of cats is must all poop immdeiately after scooped! Of course it stinks -everyone pooped - never been in a shelter that smelled "nice". As for food - duh - cats eat - they can't have the food pans filled 24/7.

I wish our shelter was built/looked like that.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just checked out the video and I'm with Chrissy, what's with the date? From what I could see, all the cats were getting along and they weren't in cages as they are at government run shelters.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dishes were full though. If you watch when he's coming through the building looking more towards the ceiling, you can see the dishes full of food on the floor.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed food in the dishes, too.

As for Smith's "decorating" her apartment. How much of her furniture and knickknacks are given as gifts or bought second hand? What little they showed didn't look like someone who was wasting money on themselves.

For future reference though. Maybe there should be a sign up telling people that filming is not allowed? (I know cell phones make that harder to control) Ask the local police department if would be ok for staff at the shelter to tell people to leave their bags in their vehicles or if staff can look through them. Aside from that I would be worried that you might get some weirdos in there trying to bring something harmful in with them if they have any sort of grudge.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've already thought about having them leave their bags in the office if they want to walk through.. not only because of this but because people have tried to scoop cats before.. believe it or not! But we would need to ask the police if we were able to search their bags? I'll make a note to ask him on thursday.

Any furniture there was given to her, except the two couches that she charged on her credit. And she has reciepts to prove it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously, I don't see anything wrong on the video shown there except perhaps the wires on the ceiling. Aside from that it looks pretty close to the other cageless shelters I've been to.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a crappy video. The quality is soo bad. I like how the guy says there's no food, but clearly there are food bowls full of food. Tha's about all I could clearly make out that had any relation to what he was talking about. I'm glad that the litterboxes were full of feces, where else is it supposed to be? The cats didn't seem like abused cats to me... they looked pretty calm... they didn't run away, they weren't crying hungrily...

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh if he walked into our shelter at a certain time of day, there would be full litterboxes and empty food bowls too. The boxes are emptied and refilled every morning and scooped at 3pm - 4pm, the same time as they get fed, by 2pm they have eaten their morning food so what would they think of our shelter.

The only thing I can see that I would question are the hanging wires (of which we have some currently as we are having some wiring done, but ours are curled up and taped to the wall out of the way and close to the ceiling just in case we have some hungry cats try to eat them) and the kitten that he said looked like it wasn't breathing but I would have asked what was up with it instead of making a video with unfounded comments.

As for the cageless, we have cageless rooms but with litters of kittens in it, we looked into it and decided that cages were safer after consultation with some cageless facilities across Canada and the US who lost cats due to bullying and the easier spread of disease but it isn't uncommon for them not to be in their cages either.