Has anyone else noticed the impatience that comes with the holiday season?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, I went to my local shopping center where there is a Trader Joe's, our local drug store (Longs) and my favorite grocery store. I got lucky and got a space right away at 10:30 am. I was planning on walking from one end of the center to the other, stopping at 4 stores. This is not a big center.

You wouldn't believe the parking problems and the incessant horn honking when I was there! There was a woman in a car waiting for a space and the person leaving was taking their time. She got such a lot of honking that I couldn't believe it, especially because she is in some classes at my health club and she would give you the shirt off her back. I waved. The person who had on her backup lights wasn't moving because she was talking on her cell on a call that she had just started!
I think that my friend would have cruised around the center for a different space, but she just thought that it would be a quick call. Oy!

This is just Thanksgiving. The horn honking has just begun.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You ought to try maneuvering a tractor-trailer around some of these stores in order to get in the back to deliver a trailer load of toys. We had one driver disciplined last year for losing his temper and making an obscene gesture at a customer. Not good!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People are crabby if they have to wait just a few minutes but then not ready to pay their bill. Surprise!! Get your cash out, check filled out as much as possible or CC or DC.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand shopping because I can't stand mobs of people meandering around and stopping in the middle of aisles as if the world revolves around them. I do notice that at this time of year it gets worse, so I try to avoid stores and especially malls even more at this time of year. However, I'm doing Secret Santa this year, and since I'm back to work I'm going to buy a few gifts for my family and those that helped me get back to my job. So I have to venture to the mall this year. But I'm not adverse to pretending I don't see someone who has suddenly stopped suddenly in my path and bumping into them accidentally on purpose

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You ought to try maneuvering a tractor-trailer around some of these stores in order to get in the back to deliver a trailer load of toys.
Try working retail this time of year. I used to love the holidays and all that they brought, till witnessing the "behind the scenes" activities that came along with them..

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I can't stand shopping because I can't stand mobs of people meandering around and stopping in the middle of aisles as if the world revolves around them.

I'm sooooo grateful for internet shopping!
Since working retail, I absolutely despise shopping.
I have anxiety attacks now every time I have to shop - especially at this time of year.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup. People behave like grinches this time of year -- too much stress and pressure - mostly self-inflicted. And we are a society that's always in a hurry...

I also opt to shop with my mouse as much as possible.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a woman spit at me today, one call me a liar, another called me a
. Everyone is a blinking ray of sunshine around the holidays!
I work retail - when someone in another state screws up when packing up an order - I am the one getting swore at. I'm hibernating until after Christmas.

caleeko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats the main reason I keep the holidays simple
A few gifts, groceries at little mom and pop places till after the holidays, etc etc etc.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've certainly noticed it with patients at work. The past week or so people just keep calling wanting an appointment NOW and their meds filled YESTERDAY, etc. I've also been yelled at and cussed out more times than ever in the last few weeks. I worked retail enough in college that I know how clerks get treated this time of year. I try to remember that when I'm out and about and I try to be extra nice and patient too.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ..." I try to be as pleasant as possible while waiting in lines and parking farther away if I can. Sometimes it is very difficult to stay calm. I just keep taking deep breaths. Also, I like to be extra pleasant to the sales clerks, especially if they've just had a difficult customer. It isn't easy, but it's certainly not worth getting angry. It's a very difficult time this year with so many people out of work.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try working at Trader Joe's during the holidays. The store I work in is the smallest in the region but we make the most money and are the busiest in the region. On a normal day we make close to $200,000 yesterday alone we cleared almosr 600,000. I have seen the worst. I have witnessed old ladies yell at eachother, employes be knocked off stepstools and yelled at for being in the way. All we are trying to do is put up the product so these people can buy it. On Saturday a customer complained to the manager(capitain) that the turkey hats we all were wearing were offensive because she did not eat meat and did not want to heve to see a turkey hat on someones head. Then people who come in 10 minutes before closing and get mad because we are out of the one thing they needed. Our store is only so big, its not our fault they had to go to starbucks and get coffee before coming in, sorry we get busy, try comming in earlier. Oh and the people who yell at me when I am watching the door AFTER we close and taking care of the paperwork for the pallets of the food they want to buy is being brought in, they yell at me because its 930(we close at 9) and they really need that one bottle of wine or butter who who cares what, the stand right in front of a pallet with 45 cases of wine and then get mad when I say they need to be careful and that we are closed. I really don't care wht the reason is that the could not get there in time. They all know when we close, its not a new concept. I mean come on if we can't do our jobs than they can't get their food. When this happens it pushes us back. Its bad enough we have to stay untill 1230 or 1 in the morning. Its so bad that our capitain has 5-6 pizzas delivered every 3 hours on the dot just to keep all of us from snapping.

A few days ago one of my good friends sliced his hand open, needed 6 stiches, on bottle of spakleing cider, the cider splashed, barely onto a customers shoes. While he stood there bleeding she started to yell at him for getting her shoes wet and demanded that the company buy her a new pair. All he could do was stand there and say he was sorry. Her shoes were not that great, most of us saw them, if you ask me it was time the be tossed out anyway. She did not even think twice about asking if he was okay, while he dripped blood all over the floor.

AHHHH I LOVE the holidays in a grocery store. Its just going to get worse too.

Sorry about the rant, I have some pent up anger about people and how self centered they can be.

All we ask, people who work retail to all you you who don't but shop in our stores is to remember that we are people too. We have feelings and we get hurt. If the store is out of something its not our fault. We try the best we can just to make you happy. If we are in your way say excuse me, don't just push your way through like we don't excist. Let's all try to get along, as one of my coworkers says "this is why we can't have nice things". Someone always comes along and ruins it.

Again sorry for the jadedness.

Oh yea just to add one more insult to injury for all of my cowokers and I the city took down Atips memorial without notice. So yea we are all a bit angry this holiday season, sorry.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I hate shopping, and I'm not big on holidays either. The behaviour you have described seems to be prevalent all year round. Singaporeans are a bunch of impatient people, and I think I'm one of them too.

If I'd come across that lady chatting on the phone with her reverse lights on in the carpark, and there wasn't another parking lot in sight, I'd probably have gone tapping on her window to get her to move her butt. That's just plain inconsiderate!

Its really ironic though, that this season's all about Thanksgiving and Christmas, when people are supposed to be chummy and nice...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I had a woman spit at me today, one call me a liar, another called me a
Nat that's terrible!!

I'm pleased i finished my christmas shopping in october, because we get grumpy nuts over here as well.

I always feel like yelling "Tis the season to be jolly you know!!"

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

They are also driving like maniacs worse then normal.
Alot of people are being very rude now also.
That's what I noticed yesterday. I was driving past one of the huge malls and in the space of about a half mile around it, there were 5 accidents. Every few seconds I heard more police sirens.

I haven't really ventured in any stores, at least during peak times. Borders was empty about 3PM yesterday afternoon which was very nice.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care what time of year it is, I try to abide by the rule "do unto others as you would have done to yourself"

I did get a little impatient with a driver this morning who was apparently asleep. He/she/it was going 5mph under the speed limit and couldn't decide which lane to be in and took up both lanes. I didn't honk, but I was muttering under my breath