Fabulous News

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Four years ago this very month, I had a mole removed from my back. Then, I had the wait until the results came through. I got those at the beginning of January 2005 (the day before our beautiful Lily came home to us). It turned out that the mole was cancerous. It was a malignant melanoma. My world turned upside down in an instant.

I had plastic surgery to ensure there was no cancer left and have had four years of (in the words of my Consultant) being stared at and prodded every few months
to make sure that nothing nasty came back. I was very fortunate not to need any further treatment.

Well, I've been counting off the visits - I thought I would have two more left. Today, I went for my examination and the Dr talked with the Consultant. Things have been so good and I caught the cancer early, so they are as sure as sure can be that it will NOT come back

Today, I was officially declared cancer free, discharged from the Dr and do not need to be stared at and prodded anymore!!!!!!!!!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Terrific news! What an amazing relief that must be for you!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome news!

Skin cancer is one of the most curable if it's caught early. However too many people disregard changes in moles and don't recognize that there could be a problem, so they don't get it checked out. Good for you for recognizing that something changed and catching it early.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much everybody

Originally Posted by kaete

Terrific news! What an amazing relief that must be for you!!
It really is - even though I knew, rationally, that after this time, I was pretty sure of being cancer free the actual act of being discharged is still a HUGE step.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That's awesome news!

Skin cancer is one of the most curable if it's caught early. However too many people disregard changes in moles and don't recognize that there could be a problem, so they don't get it checked out. Good for you for recognizing that something changed and catching it early.
I would urge anybody to have their moles checked if they're at all concerned. Mine was on my back and I only saw it by chance in one of those awful three way mirrors in a shop dressing room. I had caught it so early that the Drs honestly didn't think that it would be malignant and were hovering between doing a shave excision (which wouldn't have shown the cancer) and a full excision. I'm so glad they opted for the full one. The Dr was as shocked as I was when it came back malignant.

But, even though the result was a shock, the procedure was far less than people do for a lot of cosmetic procedures and it saved my life!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Stephanie! Your PMs during my days laid up after the bouts of surgery were wonderful. That and getting Lily the day after I heard the results are the nicest memories I have of that time

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THAT IS THE BEST NEWS, EVER
CONGRATULATIONS

Originally Posted by butzie

Yes, that would be my words exactly!
Yes, those are the words that I would choose too - it's lovely to be able to celebrate the goods news with my TCS friends. Many of you were around for the bad news - it's great to bring good news to the board too