I have Job interview and I am scared!!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I applied for a job in Computer Operations which I did many years ago for 10 years. I haven't been in the field for 14 years! I was straight forward and honest with them in my application. I figured why not just try. They called and I have the interview next week. It doesn't mean I'm going to get the job but if I do we have to relocate 300 miles away. We will have to put our home up for rent and find a place to live. My husband and I are both employed here but barely making ends meet. The bigger city would offer more for him too. I'm scared because of the economy and making a leap like this... I'm going to see this through and see what becomes of it. It may not pay enough to justify the move. I need some of the famous TCS vibes for me to make the best decision if this pans out!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a huge opportunity! I wish you well on your interview and with whatever lies ahead!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is HUGE!!!!! Congratulations for getting the interview!

Look, I am not the best one to give advice on this aspect; I quit my well paying, secure job 1 month ago, in the middle of this mess, because I was miserable in it... I had an evil boss, and even had a breakdown in the job. I believe everything in life comes with risks, ESPECIALLY the GOOD things! I also believe we are the SOLO responsible to seek our happiness... So, with that said: Go for it sister! Try to not think of the ifs - the most important thing in an interview is confidence. You need to BELIEVE the company needs you, and you are the best thing for it. I know Technology has changed - so what? What can you, as a person, bring to the job? Believe in yourself, and leave the rest to God (or destiny, or the angels, or whatever your beliefs are).

You will be fine!!!
PS: (I did get another job, much better, also relocating 1,850 miles...)
Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Wow, that is HUGE!!!!! Congratulations for getting the interview!

Look, I am not the best one to give advice on this aspect; I quit my well paying, secure job 1 month ago, in the middle of this mess, because I was miserable in it... I had an evil boss, and even had a breakdown in the job. I believe everything in life comes with risks, ESPECIALLY the GOOD things! I also believe we are the SOLO responsible to seek our happiness... So, with that said: Go for it sister! Try to not think of the ifs - the most important thing in an interview is confidence. You need to BELIEVE the company needs you, and you are the best thing for it. I know Technology has changed - so what? What can you, as a person, bring to the job? Believe in yourself, and leave the rest to God (or destiny, or the angels, or whatever your beliefs are).

You will be fine!!!
PS: (I did get another job, much better, also relocating 1,850 miles...)
Good Luck!
Congratulations to you!!!!

I am such a chicken when it comes to change. My husband really wants change and this is an opportunity for it. I would be back working the Data center grave yard shift but the new knowledge and growth potential would keep me going! I hope they don't ask me to many technical questions cause it has been a long time. I actually still have bits and pieces of my notebooks from way back then! I even found some "Atta boys" written from bosses and departments to me.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iuf they do ask you questions you can't answer just remember to be honest. They'll know if you're trying to BS your way through it. I don't know what stuff you do, but the core probably hasn't changed much, just the way they do it. they'll understand that. they also know it would take far less time for someone with previous experience to ramp up to the new stuff.

I think you'll do fine. you sure come across well in the forums here. I bet you're the same in person

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

iuf they do ask you questions you can't answer just remember to be honest. They'll know if you're trying to BS your way through it. I don't know what stuff you do, but the core probably hasn't changed much, just the way they do it. they'll understand that. they also know it would take far less time for someone with previous experience to ramp up to the new stuff.

I think you'll do fine. you sure come across well in the forums here. I bet you're the same in person
Thank you! I reminded the gentleman that called that it has been 14 years and I would love the opportunity to get back in the field. He told me it would be like getting back on a bicycle!!!! I would never try to BS my way through the interview. I can only be honest with them. I think that my previous employers were a big plus on my Resume! I feel good getting this far after all these years. They want to talk to me

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup, I bet you're golden and will get the job! I'm sending you some vibes!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great vibes coming your way. It's fabulous that you got an interview
. Don't worry about the decision yet, go to the interview and see whether you like the place before you worry about relocating.

If you get there and it's a place you'd like to work; then you can think about whether to relocate once you've seen the job offer and pay package.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the congrats! I quit without having anything in sight... So glad I took that risk!!
Change is a good thing, nothing better in life comes without changes - what is the cliche "you do the same things, you get the same results?"! Also remember: Software, programs, computers... They are "only" tools - what matters is what you do with it. That you will never lose... I agree you still have the core with you; they want to talk to YOU, not a computer
One day at a time, one foot in front of the other... You will be just fine! Besides, you have your husband's support! Good luck! Where is the job, anywhere close to Omaha?

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my interview yesterday! I traveled 500 miles round trip! I really liked the people I interviewed with. I wasn't as nervous as what I thought I would be! It has been many years since I worked in a computer mainframe environment and it's all changed. Back in the day when I worked in the computer room it was the big systems on a raised floor, tape drives with daily back ups, and printers with lots of output! I really want the job and know I have lots of competition. I am just happy that somebody took interest in me after 14 years of being out of the field! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I had my interview yesterday! I traveled 500 miles round trip! I really liked the people I interviewed with. I wasn't as nervous as what I thought I would be! It has been many years since I worked in a computer mainframe environment and it's all changed. Back in the day when I worked in the computer room it was the big systems on a raised floor, tape drives with daily back ups, and printers with lots of output! I really want the job and know I have lots of competition. I am just happy that somebody took interest in me after 14 years of being out of the field! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
good vibes for you and I'll cross my fingers too

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad the interview went well!
I think it's awesome that you got the interview in the first place - they obviously saw something in you.
Lots of "get the job vibes"

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I relocated to a bigger city because I was out of work and had no other choice. Yes the economy is bad right now, but I have noticed that moving to a bigger city I have more job oppertunities and I even got a job paying over 3.50 more and hour than what I was making before which is great since I thought I was making good money before. I say go for it. It paid off for me and Good Luck I hope it does for you too!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow this is exciting indeed! You are very brave for taking that first step, may it bring about many positive changes for you and your family

When will you hear from the company?

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Wow this is exciting indeed! You are very brave for taking that first step, may it bring about many positive changes for you and your family

When will you hear from the company?
Thank you!!! I'm sure they have several people they will be interviewing. It's a long shot for me to get the job. I'm sure they have candidates that are more current with their experience. Then again when I applied I didn't think they would even call me. I would think they would choose their person after the first of the year.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Thank you!!! I'm sure they have several people they will be interviewing. It's a long shot for me to get the job. I'm sure they have candidates that are more current with their experience. Then again when I applied I didn't think they would even call me. I would think they would choose their person after the first of the year.
Don't count yourself out. Sometimes the most experienced person has the personality of a worm, and employers might choose someone with less experience who would fit in with the team more.

Good luck!!!