"Sorry! Wrong Email."

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having a conversation with a guy who sent me an email by mistake

I got an email from someone named "Derek G" saying "Hey is this the right email address?" I didn't recognize the name. I looked in the properties and saw that the domain it came from was the email address for employees of the city in which I live. So I took a chance and sent an email back saying "Who are you looking for?" He replied with "Sorry, wrong Lucky Lou." I sent him a reply back saying "No problem. I guess I'm not as unique as I thought." I'll see if he replies back

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call me paranoid, but that sounds like a classic scam, although I can't see what the purpose would be, except to get a valid e-mail address. I'm probably wrong.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Just be careful. It is pretty funny though if it really is a wrong address.....a new take on "sorry wrong number"

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember a long time ago while I was running a networking business, we had an account at a large upstream provider. One day I got copied on an email that was suppose to be between two accounting people in the office. talking about one of my competitors and giving a LOT of account information, pay habits etc. I responded with "how much is it worth to keep me from forwarding this to the client?" with a smiley face, and said 'just kidding'.

They were a little upset

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Call me paranoid, but that sounds like a classic scam, although I can't see what the purpose would be, except to get a valid e-mail address. I'm probably wrong.
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Just be careful. It is pretty funny though if it really is a wrong address.....a new take on "sorry wrong number"
I'm not worried. I checked the domain first. He's a City of Winnipeg employee who sent an email to the wrong person. I don't usually reply to email addresses that I am not familiar with, but combined with the domain and the statement in the first email, I believed it was legit.

Originally Posted by fastnoc

I remember a long time ago while I was running a networking business, we had an account at a large upstream provider. One day I got copied on an email that was suppose to be between two accounting people in the office. talking about one of my competitors and giving a LOT of account information, pay habits etc. I responded with "how much is it worth to keep me from forwarding this to the client?" with a smiley face, and said 'just kidding'.

They were a little upset
I bet they were!

No further replies.