Need help: How often should I feed our kitty?

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As some of you know, we picked up Hobbes about 6 weeks ago. He's been a wonderful cat who is well behaved -- we're all crazy about him.

Right now he's a 9 month old male and weighs about 7-8 pounds. When we got him from the shelter he was a very skinny cat. We've been feeding him dry Nutro Max and he really likes it but we're just not sure how much to feed him.

According the instructions on the food bag, for his age and weight, we should be feeding him about 3/4 cup of the dry food per day. We usually give him a 1/2 cup in the morning (which he sometimes doesn't finish off) and another 1/4 cup around dinner time. The problem is he still seems to be hungry after the evening 1/4 cup, and in the morning is meowing like crazy for his 1/2 cup breakfast -- you'd think we were starving him.

How much should we be feeding him? He is still considered a kitten so should we just let him eat as much as he wants?

Thanks for you input.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the way, he is strictly an in-door cat and really doesn't get a lot of exercise. We think he's getting a little fat -- maybe not, though.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will let one of the experts post on that - BTW - wet food is actually less caloric than dry and would be less likely to put extra lbs on him.

But -- I am trying to remember if you ever posted photos of Hobbes... not that I recall.

Would you mind sharing with us??? Pleeeeeeze!!!!?????

ETA: if he is not getting enuf exercise, then you guys need to play with him more. Maybe get Da Bird. Hardly a cat alive doesn't enjoy that!

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I am trying to remember if you ever posted photos of Hobbes... not that I recall.

Would you mind sharing with us??? Pleeeeeeze!!!!?????

ETA: if he is not getting enuf exercise, then you guys need to play with him more. Maybe get Da Bird. Hardly a cat alive doesn't enjoy that!
I haven't yet because our camera has pooped out on us. We're getting a new camera today so I should have some pictures of him soon.

Also, Hobbes does get a fair amount of excercise. We have a laser light that he loves to chase. There are times when my kids do wear him out.

Thanks for asking.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food is filled with carbs that are not beneficial and can make a kitty pudgy. It is better if you can get him on a wet food or at least a wet and dry. Wet is closer towards what a cat in the wild would eat.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's a neutered 9 month old I would continue to measure feed. You could try splitting it more evenly. What time is "breakfast" for you? I tend to make my boys meals as evenly spaced as possible. Maybe a food that's more nutrient dense, like a grain free dry or a wet food, might keep him feeling full longer. NutroMax seems to have a lot of carbs with corn gluten meal, wheat flour, ground rice, and ground whole wheat all in the first 5 ingredients.

If you don't think he's exercising enough, try DaBird, as was suggested, or use the laser pointer. Try to get him running around twice a day for 10-15 minutes each. That should help him to stay fit. He might calm down the begging with more stimulation too? Sometimes I even like to hide treats in places for my kitties to "hunt".

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Traveler5

As some of you know, we picked up Hobbes about 6 weeks ago. He's been a wonderful cat who is well behaved -- we're all crazy about him.

Right now he's a 9 month old male and weighs about 7-8 pounds. When we got him from the shelter he was a very skinny cat. We've been feeding him dry Nutro Max and he really likes it but we're just not sure how much to feed him.

According the instructions on the food bag, for his age and weight, we should be feeding him about 3/4 cup of the dry food per day. We usually give him a 1/2 cup in the morning (which he sometimes doesn't finish off) and another 1/4 cup around dinner time. The problem is he still seems to be hungry after the evening 1/4 cup, and in the morning is meowing like crazy for his 1/2 cup breakfast -- you'd think we were starving him.

How much should we be feeding him? He is still considered a kitten so should we just let him eat as much as he wants?

Thanks for you input.
By most he is still a kitten till 12-18 months, for his size now IMHO 12 months ... Can you do three meals... like 1/4 in the morning , 1/4 during the day or when you get home and then a 1/4 cup before bed??

The food your feeding is average in the carb dept ( corn gluten is a protein ) wet would help and IMHO is better for him ... if you want to add say 3oz of wet a day take 1/4 cup of dry out

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We humans do not come with feeding guidelines and neither does your cat. You know that when you look in the mirror and see yourself with a little more pudge here and there it's time to cut back on the caloric intake. The same is true for your cat. Sharky brings up a great point that your cat is still a kitten. Better too much (within reason), than too little. Hobbes is still developing. I agree with Sharky that a kitten becomes a cat around twelve months. At that time if Hobbes is still a little chunky add more wet food and cut back on the dry.

Note: I've always believed that the feeding guidelines printed on food labels is high. You know your cat best. With patience and observation you'll know just how much to feed in order to keep your cat firm and fit!

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

If he's a neutered 9 month old I would continue to measure feed. You could try splitting it more evenly. What time is "breakfast" for you? I tend to make my boys meals as evenly spaced as possible. Maybe a food that's more nutrient dense, like a grain free dry or a wet food, might keep him feeling full longer. NutroMax seems to have a lot of carbs with corn gluten meal, wheat flour, ground rice, and ground whole wheat all in the first 5 ingredients.

If you don't think he's exercising enough, try DaBird, as was suggested, or use the laser pointer. Try to get him running around twice a day for 10-15 minutes each. That should help him to stay fit. He might calm down the begging with more stimulation too? Sometimes I even like to hide treats in places for my kitties to "hunt".
Breakfast is around 7:15 a.m. and his dinner snack is around 5:30 p.m.

NutoMax is suppose to have chicken, chicken by-products, then corn meal, in that order. If I remember correctly.

He probably does need more excerise.

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

By most he is still a kitten till 12-18 months, for his size now IMHO 12 months ... Can you do three meals... like 1/4 in the morning , 1/4 during the day or when you get home and then a 1/4 cup before bed??
That is an excellent idea.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by royalflush

So is free feeding never a good idea or just not when they are young?
Most find meal feeding easier to control amounts of food eaten... YOUNG YOUNG kittens under 3-4 months should be free feed ....

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try splitting it up like Sharky said, 1/4 cup in the morning, 1/4 cup at 5:30 when you get home, and 1/4 cup before bed. Ideally, I would replace the 1/4 cub before bed with a wet food (it doesn't have to be an expensive wet food or anything!) and then the 1/4 dry before work and when you get home. I feed my kitties pretty much like this and they generally do not beg me for food, only for attention and playtime and ... well and when I go near the treat box.
Wet food is really good for kitties IMO and is a lot closer to what they eat in the wild. Dry food is very convenient, but not really so healthy. I find that feeding them wet before they (and I) go to bed is good for my "convenience" factor too since I'm not usually pressed for time right before bed.

Good luck!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Traveler5

Thanks for you input.
Ok - My cat is also on dry food, and since she is a kitten (9 months old as well), I let her free feed - meaning: I put the whole amount in the morning, and leave it to her to eat at her will. With that said, Cats also eat more during the night, so maybe trying to switch the smaller amount to the morning, and the bigger to the night will likely solve the problem...