obsessive cleaning

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to think I'm obsessive about cleaning my house. After I left work at 2pm today I cleaned for 3 hours! I can't believe I did that. I absolutely hate dirty floors, and I'm the type of person that fusses at people if they don't take their shoes off when they come in my house. I know, I'm horrible for that.

Let's see, today I vacuumed, mopped, cleaned the toilets, cleaned the 2 bathrooms countertops, wiped down the kitchen cabinets because the bf is a MESSY! cook, wiped down the kitchen counter tops, wiped down the fridge and the stove, moved the bed and vacuumed under it, dusted the baseboards in my bedroom, the hallway, both bathrooms, the living room, and the kitchen, and did a few dishes. The worst is that the bf comes home and says the house still looks the same as before I cleaned it Argghhh! I think men just don't see dust as a cleaning issue for some reason. And I cannot believe I cleaned that much today.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's wrong with not allowing shoes to be worn in the house? I don't let anyone wear theirs.
There's no reason to wear shoes in the house, anyways.
Sounds like you had a normal cleaning spree to me. I do the same when I get in cleaning "mode". But, at least DH notices and tells me that the house looks nice. He also cleans up after himself some, so maybe I'm just lucky there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well the boyfriend got mad at me one time because I asked his parents to take off their shoes once
. When his little brother was here a few weeks ago I swear he never took his off. I just wanted to rip them off of his feet. He took a shower that morning then automatically put them on! Makes me so mad. Then the night before he walked into the house and never took them off until he went to bed. His family wears theirs in the house, so they probably think I'm weird. I grew up in a house where I was trained to take them off when I came inside. But shhhh I can't stand his mom's house..it's like she never cleans anything. The toilets are the worst!!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We take our shoes off when we come into the house. No need to mess up the house with ickys from the outdoors. We make everyone take their shoes off when they come in also...
But as for the obsessive cleaning, that only comes once a week now. I've discovered that no matter how much cleaning I do, this house will be dirty in a day. I don't know why, Dh is very neat now, and the cats don't make a very big mess. So where does it come from?????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering where the mess comes from myself. I usually only clean once a week but sometimes I'll do it twice a week if it gets dirty enough to bother me. I think most of it comes from my two dogs going from the house to the backyard. One of my dogs sheds really bad, so that is part of it too.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't sound obsessive to me. When things need cleaned, it is good to get it done no matter how long it might take for that peace of mind of cleanliness.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

I'm starting to think I'm obsessive about cleaning my house. I'm the type of person that fusses at people if they don't take their shoes off when they come in my house. I know, I'm horrible for that.
It's normal in my eyes.

I do my housework on a thursday evening because i want the weekend to be mine for doing what i want, so it usually takes me 2 hours which consists of dusting, swiffing, vacuuming then washing the floors.

Oh, and i take my shoes off as soon as i walk in the door so everyone else has to

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have family in the US and I visit every once in awhile and I was so perplexed by the shoes in the house thing. I grew up and have lived most of my life in northern Canada and we don't wear shoes in the house. I can't think of a single time that I have been at someones house here or had people over and left shoes on inside the house. I even remember in highschool going to house parties and still even then being a bunch of druken teens, we took our shoes off. I was in the States and I was always trying to take my shoes off and everyone was always like "leave them on, what are you doing, come in" and it felt so wrong to be inside with my shoes on!! I think its so funny, my family and friends come to visit from the States and I get so peeved when I look down and they are strolling around my house in shoes. It's always raining or snowing or you get dirt on your shoes, why wear them in the house? Thats what slippers are for!! LOL!

I hate dirty floors too but with birds and many shedding animals in my house it is a losing battle and I have decided to wave my white flag and surrender. Why get so upset about dirty floors when its a inevitable!! I'll vaccum ever second day but beyond that I just try not to look down, under furniture, and never look in the corners of rooms. The angora rabbit hair dust bunnies I have found are officially bigger than the bunnies the hair came off of!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ewa

It's always raining or snowing or you get dirt on your shoes, why wear them in the house? Thats what slippers are for!! LOL!
That's the way i look at it as well
I've had cream carpets so i know they don't stay cream for long with shoes on
Plus, i take them off so the cats don't lick/sniff at them incase they pick up any germs, because when Sophie was a kitten she picked up a tummy bug, and the vet said it could have been through me wearing shoes in the house. After that they came off

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always take my shoes off at the door, in my home or anyone else's. That's how I was raised.

Shoes are filthy things. Think about it. You walk down the street where people have thrown trash, or spit, or even peed sometimes. A dog might have had a poo and you could have walked through it or over the area where it was. Everywhere that you walk your shoe bottoms are picking up bacteria and viruses.

I don't want that kind of stuff brought into my home and spread around my floors and carpets.

If more people considered how dirty the bottoms of even a clean looking pair of shoes is, more people would take their shoes off at the door.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

But shhhh I can't stand his mom's house..it's like she never cleans anything. The toilets are the worst!!
and now you know why they all wear their shoes!
i wear slippers inside - but i don't take off my shoes until i get to the bedroom [i.e. not at the door]. i think everyone's different when it comes to this.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm starting to think I'm obsessive about cleaning my house. After I left work at 2pm today I cleaned for 3 hours! I can't believe I did that. I absolutely hate dirty floors, and I'm the type of person that fusses at people if they don't take their shoes off when they come in my house. I know, I'm horrible for that.

Let's see, today I vacuumed, mopped, cleaned the toilets, cleaned the 2 bathrooms countertops, wiped down the kitchen cabinets because the bf is a MESSY! cook, wiped down the kitchen counter tops, wiped down the fridge and the stove, moved the bed and vacuumed under it, dusted the baseboards in my bedroom, the hallway, both bathrooms, the living room, and the kitchen, and did a few dishes. The worst is that the bf comes home and says the house still looks the same as before I cleaned it Argghhh! I think men just don't see dust as a cleaning issue for some reason. And I cannot believe I cleaned that much today.
I have a plane ticket waiting for you to come and clean my house for a week and I promise that we will not wear shoes.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I have a plane ticket waiting for you to come and clean my house for a week and I promise that we will not wear shoes.
same here... i REALLY need to clean!

royalflush

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm kinda jealous of you! I'm so lazy that I can't get myself to clean up often at all, so my house is an utter mess. I think my problem is more common than yours though