My new friend

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hit the back button on your browser now if you're freaked out by spider pics!

With the cold weather moving in quickly and over night temps in the low 20's, I guess this black widow decided it would be more comfortable where we live.

She has taken up residence between the window sash and the storm window in my office. So far she's been there for a week.

I think I need to move her back to the woods.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's a pretty spider! Will it hurt your cats? What kind of spider is it?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Wow that's a pretty spider! Will it hurt your cats? What kind of spider is it?
That was my thought... A Black Widow can kill a cat, dog, or child... I am ALL for nature (mom lives in the rain forest in Brazil), but I wouldn't keep a black widow around. Same with Scorpions...

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

That was my thought... A Black Widow can kill a cat, dog, or child... I am ALL for nature (mom lives in the rain forest in Brazil), but I wouldn't keep a black widow around. Same with Scorpions...
Geez that's a black widow? Pardon my ignorance, we don't have any here in Singapore. I have heard of them though, and boy do they sound scary or what!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Not to worry, I'll be relocating her shortly. My cats don't have access to her where she's set up shop.

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course..I didnt take your warning seriously and just HAD to look...lol. I am TERRIFIED of spiders but just couldnt resist. She is a pretty spider..as long as she's not around my home. Thats quite the web she's got made there too.
I've seen black widows on tv but dont have any here...how big are they???

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Not to worry, I'll be relocating her shortly. My cats don't have access to her where she's set up shop.
Curious...with such a dangerous spider kinda "trapped" in between windows..how in the world do you plan on relocating her without being hurt??

ewww..the thought of moving a spider gives me the heebie jeebies
I cant even talk about it or think about it without getting the creepy crawlies

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katch4

Of course..I didnt take your warning seriously and just HAD to look...lol. I am TERRIFIED of spiders but just couldnt resist. She is a pretty spider..as long as she's not around my home. Thats quite the web she's got made there too.
I've seen black widows on tv but dont have any here...how big are they???
She's not full grown yet. Her body is the size of a pea.

Curious...with such a dangerous spider kinda "trapped" in between windows..how in the world do you plan on relocating her without being hurt??
I have a plan, it involves a stick, a jar and some coaxing. I have to relocate one of these from our home every year it seems. They aren't aggressive spiders, people usually get bit when they don't realize the spider is there and they accidently put their hands into the spiders web. Like say, lifting a piece of furniture that the spider is underneath.

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

She's not full grown yet. Her body is the size of a pea.

I have a plan, it involves a stick, a jar and some coaxing. I have to relocate one of these from our home every year it seems. They aren't aggressive spiders, people usually get bit when they don't realize the spider is there and they accidently put their hands into the spiders web. Like say, lifting a piece of furniture that the spider is underneath.
Oh wow..she looks alot bigger then that in the picture. How big do full grown ones get?
I still cant believe that you actually take the time to relocate a potentially dangerous spider. I think thats great....but I dont think many people would do something like that. At least I know I wouldnt be able to do it...but then again I wouldnt get close enough to do anything with it...I'd be crying in the fetal position in the corner somewhere

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tolerate most of the spiders that find their way into my house during the winter (I have a 7-legged one hanging out in here at the moment), but I wouldn't want a black widow living with me. Not with a cat and an almost 4-year old. That's too many curious fingers and paws. She is a pretty spider, though.

The hard part for you is that she's stuck up between the sash and the window, which makes her hard to catch. I usually catch spiders with two disposable cups; I coax them into one and use the other as a lid to transport them back outside.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh wow..she looks alot bigger then that in the picture. How big do full grown ones get?
I still cant believe that you actually take the time to relocate a potentially dangerous spider. I think thats great....but I dont think many people would do something like that. At least I know I wouldnt be able to do it...but then again I wouldnt get close enough to do anything with it...I'd be crying in the fetal position in the corner somewhere
She'll get about twice that big, if winter doesn't kill her. I don't know what their optimum lifespan is. I know many spiders only live for one season.

I rarely kill anything, if it can be relocated. I make exceptions for mosquitos, horseflys and other pest insects.
Black widows do far more good than harm, by killing pest insects. I'm not going to get all warm and fuzzy about a spider and I certainly don't want this one crawling on me, but she has a purpose and deserves a chance to survive.

I laughed about your "fetal position" description.
I know many people are deathly afraid of spiders, I haven't ever been that way. I'm very interested in them, from the proper distance of course!

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I absolutely HATE creepy crawlies.... especially spiders, and especially spiders that I know can cause serious harm!! I actually jumped when I saw the pic, because of course I saw that there was a pic so I didn't even bother to read first lol that'll teach me lol