Popantel...CAT DEWORMER

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if this is safe to give to my 8.5 pound tom cat..named Mr. Mike...Popantel Cat Allwormer tablets
1 tablet per 5kg [11lbs) bodyweight. Tablets for the control of hookworms, roundworms and tapeworms in cats. Each tablet contains 25mg Praziquantel 25mg, and 100mg Pyrantel as the embonate.

He has tapeworm and I took him to the vet then gave him a pill for tapeworm but it didn't get rid of them....so I called and asked for another ...they said the pill was 3.99 ..I said great I will be there to get it....When I got there they said oh they made a mistake there is a $ 25 dispensing free on top of the 3.99...I said your kidding me? And they refused to give me the pill...if I didn't pay the total amount due....so I got online and found I can order this without a script....Just wondering if its safe to give to him

Nancy

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the counter wormers can be very dangerous and are known to cause illness and even death in pets. If you believe your cat has any type of parasite please use a wormer given to you by your vet. If this is the same wormer given to your cat by the vet, you should be able to get a follow up dose without another appointment. Buying online is no guarantee that the medications will actually be what you think you are purchasing. In most cases wormers are given again after about 3 weeks as most only kill adult worms. The second dose is to get rid of the "second wave".

But again, please to not medicate your cat without consulting your vet first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The site states...Its the same ingredient as brand name Drontal....isn't that safe for cats ?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

The site states...Its the same ingredient as brand name Drontal....isn't that safe for cats ?
the ingredient drontal is safe when gotten at a ver but there are lots of counterfeit drugs avail online... Please DO NOT medicate without talking to the vet ... and a 25$ dispensing fee would have me calling around to other vets to see if that is usual and customary

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only have 2 vet hospitals in my area....the one I take my animals to does cost more but they have state of the art equipment...and I think 8 vets now....the other has 2 vets ...and when I went to them yrs back ..if blood work was needed it had to be taken to the other vet hospital with the 8 vets....anyways..I will call the other vet tomorrow and ask what there dispensing fee is...I've ordered meds from this place b4 and as far as I know it got rid of their flea's..Honestly I would prefer to get those kinda meds from my vet but at times I feel they could cut me some slack the amount of money I spend there each year...I couldn't even get flea meds without seeing both my dogs last time ...and they had only been there one month b4 to get their shots ....so after that and then the $ 25 dollar fee for a 3.99 pill......Maybe I need to revisit the other vet hospital again....I'm not trying to knock vets at all....I've been thur hell with one of my chihuahua's lately and I am glad they were there for me ....But little things like that ...I think they should cut me some slack....maybe I'm wrong but thats how I feel...

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't uncommon for people to use more than one vet, one for vaccines and speutering and one for everything else, in an effort to save some money.

Also, refills are different from a new prescription. Vets are obligated to see the patient before prescribing any medication, and unfortunately most are not willing to break that. It's the same with human medications. I've never been given a prescription without seeing a doctor.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a vet that would give me meds I had gotten b4...if it wasn't that long since he had seen the animal...and he also would give me a break on expensive bills...let me make payments and knocking off certain things....But he since retired....I've had my own Dr call in scripts for meds I have needed without see her...so its not all the uncommon...Its not like I was wanting serious meds...I guess I got spoiled from my old vet...he did come outta retirement for alittle while but only worked Sat and he is so well liked it was hard getting an appointment to see him....And he really seemed like he cared about the animals not the bottom line..I've had one vet walk in hand me a copy of how much things were going to cost ..without even looking at my cat...the tech told her the problem b4 she came in and thats how she handled it ...I guess different rules for different ppl...I still think 25 extra dollars for the someone opening a pill bottle and handing me one pill is alittle extreme...IMO

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

I had a vet that would give me meds I had gotten b4...if it wasn't that long since he had seen the animal...and he also would give me a break on expensive bills...let me make payments and knocking off certain things....But he since retired....I've had my own Dr call in scripts for meds I have needed without see her...so its not all the uncommon...Its not like I was wanting serious meds...I guess I got spoiled from my old vet...he did come outta retirement for alittle while but only worked Sat and he is so well liked it was hard getting an appointment to see him....And he really seemed like he cared about the animals not the bottom line..I've had one vet walk in hand me a copy of how much things were going to cost ..without even looking at my cat...the tech told her the problem b4 she came in and thats how she handled it ...I guess different rules for different ppl...I still think 25 extra dollars for the someone opening a pill bottle and handing me one pill is alittle extreme...IMO
I agree with you that it's extreme. I would definitely call around to other vets or at least ask why this isn't considered a follow-up to the first visit and ask why they need to bill me that $25.

The meds you order on-line, although they claim to be the same as what your vet gives you, may in fact not be the same at all. I wouldn't order meds online for me or my human family so wouldn't feel good about doing it for my fur family. There are too many scammers our there these days all set and ready to take advantage of the trusting public.

In most cases, OTC meds don't do a very good job and can be outright dangerous and online meds could contain anything or nothing. I prefer not to take those chances. Some folks are very comfortable with online meds and they are welcome to use them, but the more cautious of us definitely feel it is safer to get medications from a doctor who has seen and/or knows your cat.