TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › HELP - Relocating Cross Country with Shy Cat (UHAUL)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP - Relocating Cross Country with Shy Cat (UHAUL)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi,
I got a new job in Los Angeles, and will be relocating with my (ex-shy ) kitty on the weekend of Dec. 5th. Here is the plan, and history:
  • 1,875 Miles, over 3 days
  • Uhaul Truck for three passengers, me, a friend and my kitty
  • She has been with me for only 3 weeks, and was before labeled as a shy cat. I don't consider her that... I carry her in my arms, she sleeps in my bed, and hangs around me ALL the time. During the day she does sleep under the bed, though... I travelled this week and my neighboor took care of her with no problem... She visited 2x a day, and kitty was friendly, cuddly and playful! She has really come around!
  • Supplies I already got for the trip: Feliway Spray, Feliway Difuser and Refill for the next home, and hotel room, harness, Soft carrying crate
  • Going to the Vet once I receive the Crate on the 26th for a checkup and vaccines...

Here is the link for the crate I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GJ2KE4 I chose this as she is traumatized of the other hard crates...

I can't think of anything else.... I am planning to start going out with her in my car every day for a bit, and leave her with the harness all the time until then...

I cant think of anything else... please let me know what I am missing - Her well being is my number 1 priority in this trip...

Thanks!
post #2 of 14
Sounds like you've got all your bases covered!

My in-laws just moved from Florida back to NY (about 1200 miles) with their cat; she's not the most outgoing kitty and she actually handled the trip really well. She was also in a soft carrier, and she meowed for about 30 minutes when they first started, and then she slept (she had only gone in the car for vet visits before this). They found pet-friendly hotels along the way, and let her out there when they'd stop for the night. The last I checked, she was settling in quite nicely in her new house.

Wish you and your kitty lots of luck, and sending lots of good vibes for your trip!
post #3 of 14
Sounds like you have it all planned.
Have you ever lived in California before?
People out here drive very fast.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Sounds like you have it all planned.
Have you ever lived in California before?
People out here drive very fast.
Good! Yep, I lived in LA until last year, when I relocated to Dallas for my Job. I am SO happy to be back - Dallas is a grerat city, but nothing beats having the people you love close by!!
post #5 of 14
How about some of your cat's favorite treats? I moved with my cat from Iowa to Seattle, WA. I put a small litter box on the floor of the passenger side and put Zoe's soft carrier on the passenger seat. I left the carrier open to allow her to use the box and she did just fine.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzMugly View Post
How about some of your cat's favorite treats? I moved with my cat from Iowa to Seattle, WA. I put a small litter box on the floor of the passenger side and put Zoe's soft carrier on the passenger seat. I left the carrier open to allow her to use the box and she did just fine.
You mean she was lose on the car and didn't have a problem with it? Did you tie her harness to the carrier? I will move in a 3-seat uhaul truck, with a friend... I was hoping to have kitty next to me, so i could pet her through the too opening... I was wondering about the litter box - I am going to be towing my car, so maybe I transform it to a "Kitty bathroom/play pen", for our stops... if it is not too hot, of course. I suppose it is not going to be, since I am moving in December... Anyway, just so she has a safe spot to rest her legs, eat do go to the bathroom... Do you think that would work?
post #7 of 14
U haul trucks are a far cry from the low noise and vibration of a privately owned car. I would suggest a small CD player inside her carrier- perhaps taped to the roof? There is an excellent CD available that will calm the most stressed out kitty. I would play this CD the entire trip on a very low volume http://harpist1.tripod.com/id32.html I would not let the cat out unless she shows real distress at being confined over the miles. Line the bottom of the carrier with hospital chuxs and put soft bedding over the top of that. If she has an accident in the carrier have supplies on hand to clean it up. Take an old shirt of yours the day before and put it on and get it really sweaty. Put that into the carrier the day of the move so she can smell that instead of all the other foreign scents that will be assaulting her.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
U haul trucks are a far cry from the low noise and vibration of a privately owned car. I would suggest a small CD player inside her carrier- perhaps taped to the roof? There is an excellent CD available that will calm the most stressed out kitty. I would play this CD the entire trip on a very low volume http://harpist1.tripod.com/id32.html I would not let the cat out unless she shows real distress at being confined over the miles. Line the bottom of the carrier with hospital chuxs and put soft bedding over the top of that. If she has an accident in the carrier have supplies on hand to clean it up. Take an old shirt of yours the day before and put it on and get it really sweaty. Put that into the carrier the day of the move so she can smell that instead of all the other foreign scents that will be assaulting her.
can I just have some baby wipes, or it needs to be something special? I will get the CD - great idea!
post #9 of 14
You would be better off with just soft rags and waters. Baby Wipes have chemicals on them that your kitty may get sick on.
post #10 of 14
Whatever you do, keep the cat in the carrier as much as possible. Check out any motel room for places she might hide, get stuck, or get out. And NEVER take her out of the carrier when she can run farther that the nearest door. We came close to losing Punkin twice that way, and Lee can tell you about not having the cat in the carrier when the maid came in his hotel room.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Whatever you do, keep the cat in the carrier as much as possible. Check out any motel room for places she might hide, get stuck, or get out. And NEVER take her out of the carrier when she can run farther that the nearest door. We came close to losing Punkin twice that way, and Lee can tell you about not having the cat in the carrier when the maid came in his hotel room.
that carrier is quite similar to the ones i use.
when you're in the hotel, i'd confine her to the bathroom unless you're in the room w/her [make a sign to post on the bathroom door before leaving home, btw]. there are temporary disposable litterboxes you can get that come complete w/litter - you can toss the whole thing each morning of the trip. i'd put the litterbox in the bathtub to minimize litter spray, myself. a dustbuster might help, too, to vacuum up litter she kicks out.
here's some links to the disposable litterboxes: citramax
kitty's wonder box
critter litter - this one looks neat, but the order button doesn't work...
swheat scoop
jeffers pet
you may be able to find one or more of these in your local Petsmart or Petco, too.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
You mean she was lose on the car and didn't have a problem with it? Did you tie her harness to the carrier? I will move in a 3-seat uhaul truck, with a friend... I was hoping to have kitty next to me, so i could pet her through the too opening... I was wondering about the litter box - I am going to be towing my car, so maybe I transform it to a "Kitty bathroom/play pen", for our stops... if it is not too hot, of course. I suppose it is not going to be, since I am moving in December... Anyway, just so she has a safe spot to rest her legs, eat do go to the bathroom... Do you think that would work?
She sat in one of three places: on my lap, in the back window, or in her open crate. I know many people would not endorse letting a cat out in the car, but I had no problem.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
that carrier is quite similar to the ones i use.
when you're in the hotel, i'd confine her to the bathroom unless you're in the room w/her [make a sign to post on the bathroom door before leaving home, btw]. there are temporary disposable litterboxes you can get that come complete w/litter - you can toss the whole thing each morning of the trip. i'd put the litterbox in the bathtub to minimize litter spray, myself. a dustbuster might help, too, to vacuum up litter she kicks out.
here's some links to the disposable litterboxes: citramax
kitty's wonder box
critter litter - this one looks neat, but the order button doesn't work...
swheat scoop
jeffers pet
you may be able to find one or more of these in your local Petsmart or Petco, too.
Thanks for the feedback - I am not going to leave her alone in the hotel.... I rather not! If I do, she will be in her harness.... The hotel will be only to sleep, get up and go. I am already seeing the places, making sure they have room service... I am lucky - I travel a lot, so I have Hilton points; Hilton has pet friend properties, and they supply everything, even litter boxes and treats! I was surprised! WHEW!
I received my carrier today, but it turns out I underestimated the size of a ragdoll; even though she is only 9 months old! She is almost as long as the carrier... It is large enough for her to turn, but not to stand up straight. I hope it is ok... The quality is great, and it is VERY comfy... I am betting on her feeling safer on a small space; but this is going to be the only trip in it, that is for sure!
I also received my Feliway Diffuser, and plugged it in my room, which is the room she spends the most amount of time in... I might get another one for the new house, so I can plug one in each room.

Wow, if she only knew how loved she is!!!
post #14 of 14
I've used puppy pads with a towel on top in the carriers in case of accidents. Bring extra towels in case you have to clean up. Have paper towels and small garbage bags on hand also. Doubtful that she will eat or drink while in the U-haul, but have a small bowl (stainless works great) with bottled water and a little bit of food. At rest stops, you might want to offer it to her.

I've done 1600, 1200 and 600 mile trips with cats. I used the largest carrier that would fit in the car that I had at the time. Some of them seemed to like it if the carrier is up high so that they can see their surroundings. Others wanted a blanket over the carrier so that they couldn't see the world, but they often got car sick.

Just be prepared for any mess in the car.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › HELP - Relocating Cross Country with Shy Cat (UHAUL)