Feral Colony question???

andrewrichard5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How large are most feral colonies, and how long does it take for them to reach their peak size?

I started out with one cat about 2 weeks ago and am now up to five cats. I was just wondering when the influx of cats is going to stop and the population is going to stop climbing.

I am now feeding the following on an everyday basis (most names are not permanent):

1. HamCat - Female, short haired, tortoiseshell with white feet, daughter of Marjorie, born in summer of 07'

2. Marjorie - Female, long-haired, tuxedo, long black hair with white underbelly and a very pink nose, she also has white legs, mother of Marjorie, first saw on campus in fall of 2006, birth year unknown

3. Construction cat - Gender ????, short hair, white with large black and brown spots, first saw at the beginning of November of this year at a construction site where my school is building two new dormitories as a kitten playing with some dirt balls. Spoke to the construction workers who said that the kitten was being fed well since everyone dropped food for it.

Construction cat's mom - Female, short haired, looks like a cow, white with large black and brown spots, a perfect circle of black on her left shoulder, seen leading construction cat around campus about two weeks ago.

??????? - Gender ????, short haired, large orange striped cat, not fat, but long and big boned, first seen about three days ago, looked quite healthy so I decided to see if it would come to me and it was terrified of me, must have been getting food elsewhere, but certainly feral.

There are a lot of cats in my college's town so I could certainly add a few more cats. I am acquiring a trap to TNR them and have been approved by PA PETS to capture and have them fixed for a cost of $8 to me, for the rabies shot.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was worried till I got to the end of your post about the trapping. The colony will certainly get MUCH bigger if you dont alter them.

Im not sure how big a colony can get - just started myself in August. But i have about 30 cats. I didnt think it was that many even though I was told by a few people. They spend most of their time in the woods i think. But I have TNRed 18 and still have about 4 that I know of that need to be trapped.

If you can get 2 traps - I myself like to have 2 so that they arent alone thru the process. Im just guessing it makes it easier on them to have another in the same situation.

It is a great feeling though. Good luck to you!!!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We thought we had 3, but we're up to 6 or 7! We've done it for only a week, and everytime we trap one... we happen to glimpse another.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

We thought we had 3, but we're up to 6 or 7! We've done it for only a week, and everytime we trap one... we happen to glimpse another.
Yeah - that's how colonies grow! I am so glad you are doing TNR - you will see it makes a big difference. I work with a TNR group and we had one lady who started out with four kittens and ended up with 30 before she called us!

We got all but one male, although because she feeds regularly, there are always vistors or newcomers. She now knows to call immediately when she sees someone new.

But you are doing the right thing. Kudos to you!