TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Nutkin and high fever
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nutkin and high fever  

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I was too optimistic when I said Nutkin was better last week. He kept a normal temp for two days and then rocketed up to 40C again. He is now on his third course of antibiotics (amoxycillin this time) and new anti-inflammatories (Tofledine). This morning he was 40.6, the highest he has been, though usually he goes down during the day as the tablets kick in. He is eating well, a bit lethargic when the temp is right up, but has no other symptoms. He has not vomited or had diarrhea. My vet is stumped but very concerned. Does anyone have any ideas I can throw at the vet? I cannot give him to his adoptive family like this, and now we are all worried that is it is something really serious - it has been three weeks now. We will probably do a blood test tomorrow or Tuesday.
post #2 of 27
Thats odd. I wonder what it could be.
Sending mega vibes that they can figure out exactly what it is and get the infection under control
post #3 of 27
Can you ask the vet about another antibiotic.
Sometimes it takes a few kinds to work.
post #4 of 27
Can I ask what kind of anti-biotics he's been on?

I know it's different for you in a different country - but here in the US according to my vet - Amoxi is kind of useless - a "weak" anti-biotic. For a "stronger" infection - my vet will reccomend Orbax (possibly Baytril). I'd talk to your vet about perhaps another anti-biotic.
post #5 of 27
Oh, dear! I don't know anything about these things, but serious vibes for little Nutkin!

post #6 of 27
I agree with whitecatlover.
Coco had all this antibiotics then got baytril.
The baytril worked great.
She also had Orbax before and it worked great.
None of the other helped at all.
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
He started on two courses of Doxicillin, which is quite strong, and we have just changed it. I know amoxicillin is not so strong but the vet hoped that a different one might help. He could then go on to Clavamox which is a combo antibiotic. He has had three different anti-inflammatories to keep his temp down. Poor little guy is full of drug cocktails. But there is good news - he has had a normal temp of 38.4 to 38.6 for over 24 hours, so maybe things are improving. Though I thought that last week and then he went bad again. I will finish this course with him and hope it stays down. His eyes are bright and he is eating well.
post #8 of 27
Oh I hope this is the end of his fevers. Poor guy its time to be over this already. what is his potential new family saying about all of this?
post #9 of 27
Just checking in on wee Nutkin. How is he today Jenny?
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
His temp was normal again this morning, so I am hopeful. He is due to be picked up by his new family on Saturday - we have put it off twice already. But he doesn't finish his antibiotics till Friday, and I would like him to be off them for two or three days before I let him go. So maybe we will wait till Monday. At least they will never have a problem pilling him or taking his temperature - he almost presents his bottom and opens his mouth as I approach him now!
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyranson View Post
His temp was normal again this morning, so I am hopeful. He is due to be picked up by his new family on Saturday - we have put it off twice already. But he doesn't finish his antibiotics till Friday, and I would like him to be off them for two or three days before I let him go. So maybe we will wait till Monday. At least they will never have a problem pilling him or taking his temperature - he almost presents his bottom and opens his mouth as I approach him now!
Aww, what a little love bug. I'll keep the healthy vibes coming for him and hugs for you.
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
I had to go to the UK this last week for three days and each day my catsitter told me his temp was normal, which made me so relieved. But on Sat morning I took his temp again and it was 41.2! So we rushed down to the vet again. The advice this time was not reassuring - an injection of Baytril, no anti inflammatories, and just wait and see. Four vets have seen him now over the last month and no one can find the source of this fever. The vet mentioned possible heart problems, but said that he couldn't be sure. Today his temp was 39,9 this morning, but he is very lethargic and I fed him soup by syringe to be sure he was getting nourishment and water. He did eat some dry food though. I am getting really frightened for him now. His adoptive mum has bowed out - can't say I blame her, which at least takes the pressure off.

There is no feline specialist nearer than Paris, 3 hours away, but that might be the next option.
post #13 of 27
Oh Jenny. I so did not want to hear this news. I'll add extra vibes and prayers for wee Nutkin. And, of course, hugs to you.
post #14 of 27
Im sending my vibes and prayers, as well.
post #15 of 27
How is little Nutkin doing? From the first photo you posted I just fell in love with the little feral guy.

Has he been tested for Felv and FIV? Could he have some underlying condition making him prone to getting infections very easily.

Lots of that he is finally on the mend for good.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
He has been tested negative. This afternoon his temp was 39.3 and I have seen no evidence of eating, though he licked some fromage frais from my fingers. I also gave him some catfood soup. He has basically lain on a cushion all day, but did spend some time on my lap, when he looked around with bright eyes and a lot of interest.

I have found a vet not too far from here who really loves cats, and specialises in small animals, not very common in a very rural area. I am going to phone her tomorrow morning and get him to her as quickly as possible. It is only an hour away and may provide some answers.
post #17 of 27
Hopefully she will be able to help you with some answers. This has just got to be so frustrating to see your little guy up and down like this and not know why.
post #18 of 27
So sorry to hear that Nutkin is having problems. I hope this new vet you've found will be able to help you find answers and get him turned around.

post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
The new vet gave him a very thorough going over, and retested him for FIV/FeLV, confirming he is negative. That was my main worry put to rest. However, she agrees that there is no obvious cause for the fever, thinks it is probably viral in origin and is sending me to another clinic for a full blood panel and Xray. She gave him a shot of Tofledine and sent me home with another shot to give him in two days if we have not managed an appointment by then. He ate and drank well this morning, and again on returning from the vet. But then he went straight back onto his pillow and he has stayed there since. So not much further on. But at least he is not worse.
post #20 of 27
I hope something helps him.
post #21 of 27
Im just throwing this idea out there. What if he is a wild cat and his normal temp is higher than a domestic? Like how felines, in general, run a higher temp than humans? I have no basis to say that, its just a thought.

Still sending so many vibes for your boy, it must be so frustrating
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
My own vet and I talked through that idea last week. But although we agreed that some cats do have higher temperatures than others, there is no way it would be as high as 40 or especially 41.6, which is the highest he has been. And he is breathing too fast and is very lethargic, not behaving like a kitten at all.
post #23 of 27
Well if its a virus that has to run its course, are you giving him any immune boosters?

Like Lysine that is used for herpes, but it slows donw viral replication or Transfer Factor that Tammie used with Jake to build his immune system.
Im sure there must be others, thats what I can think of off the top of my head.
post #24 of 27
Thread Starter 
That is a good idea. I had not thought of that and no one has suggested it. I will look into what is available and suitable.
post #25 of 27
I am glad that the FIV/FeLV has come back negative twice. It sure is worrisome though that he keeps spiking that fever.

I am wondering if there is any specific virus or maybe blood born parasite in your area that would cause a cyclical fever like that. Maybe a tick transmitted disease?

Like you and Pami, I too was thinking if Nutkin had some wild genes that maybe it was affecting him. If the new bloodwork and Xrays don't give any definitive info I wonder if calling one of the zoo or sanctuary vets that deal with the wild cats might be worth a try. They might have some insight that would be out of the norm. Maybe some type of illness that is more prevalent in wild and or feral populations that domestic cats wouldn't be exposed too usually.
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
I found Nutkin dead this morning. He was peaceful, lying on the floor with mouth and eyes closed, so I hope he died in his sleep. Mods, please close this thread.
post #27 of 27
With great sadness I will now close this thread.

Nutkin's Bridge thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...46#post2487846
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
This thread is locked  
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Nutkin and high fever